Caught off guard - choked from inside my guard

You know, if you have a guy in your guard & he presses his forearm into your throat, with one quick movemnet you can have him in a head & arm choke if you do it right.

I tapped out a brown belt in Judo with that once.

i find i can finish arm triangles from top and bottom in closed gaurd every now and a again.
i find from top it works about 20% of the time from the bottom it works about 70%

all the same i did it a few times from top and got swept...that sucked

i wouldnt recomend chokes from top for that reason.

I think in BJJ the longer you train, the more you learn the less you KNOW. Its a neverending cycle of learning,thinking you know, then learning you didn't know.

(hopefully that makes sense, if not call me yogi)

I've had that choke scenario happen to me, and after training with guys who practice BJJ, its comes as a surprise when something like that is thrown @ you. But now you've learned you need to be more aware of it, and proably more active with your guard.

ps, you can also be americana'd in that position

There's also the amasa pao (sp?) choke from inside the other guy's guard with gi (first saw the description in Renzo and Royler's BJJ theory and technique). I've had a bunch of success using it as a guard break, but have occasionally gotten the tap on someone who did not defend well. Of course you are vulnerable to the armbar, but if you're going for a guard break you'll release/react after the guard is open but before you're in real trouble.

In my first tournament a guy dropped this choke on me from my closed guard. It suprised me and hurt a lot. I saw the armbar but I was ahead in points so my corner told me to take the pain and extend my hips, keeping the guard locked. It was a long 15 - 20 seconds.

I tried the same choke in class the next week. The instructor ran over and smack me in the head, muttering in Portugese. Never tried it agian.

Most of the brand new guys (a month or less) have tried it on me when I pull them into my guard. Hard to get any pressure there though if you extend your hips pulling them back.

I then proceed to tell them that if they're in my guard, their only option is to start passing my guard.

Solution for both you and your friend: let the guy go for chokes from your guard. Learn to armbar and arm triangle the shit out of him when he does it. He will stop doing it and you will have added the defense to your guard game. Problem solved for both.

There are very few absolutes in bjj, and it's better to not try and teach others as a white belt. You get taught things as absolutes, then you try and teach them as absolutes, then you train for like 5 years and see that so many of these "absolutes" do not always hold true. Very few of them are 100% absolutes.

goddamn white belts are dumb.

I suppose you're speaking from experience, as you were a dumb whitebelt at one time. You're that old guy with all the wisdom. So you speak the truth, from personal experience.

One day I'll realize this also, as it seems apparent there are no absolutes, yet situations where you shouldnt be going for things that leave you wide open to counters.

Try this instructional out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UyFdVCv2Cd0

You don't need to straighten your arms really. Not if you set it up right. And the guy's head is pinned in place by your crossface, so the armbar is not really coming.

I don't like this choke against advanced opponents because if they block, then they will take an underhook and start putting you in trouble. There's no graceful exit. But it's a good option to keep in mind if you get stuck with broken posture.

I never thought of just pulling my arm back into my sleeve like thats to then slide the choking hand straight in. I always tried to pass my hand over and everyone defends their neck when they see an hand fly in front of their face.

Nice. Thanks for that link.

Does anyone have a vid which shows how to armbar when they choke you? I had a guy yesterday who kept putting his hand on my throat from inside my guard (thumb on one side fingers on the other) and then put all his weight on it. I didn't feel confident enough that I could swing around and armbar. Anyone know of a vid which demonstrates this?

Try this instructional out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UyFdVCv2Cd0

You don't need to straighten your arms really. Not if you set it up right. And the guy's head is pinned in place by your crossface, so the armbar is not really coming.

I don't like this choke against advanced opponents because if they block, then they will take an underhook and start putting you in trouble. There's no graceful exit. But it's a good option to keep in mind if you get stuck with broken posture.

Thats my favorite choke, though Ive only attempted it from mount.

Back