Catch guy attempts BJJ

PhillyD45

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I attended a BJJ seminar taught by Robson Moura.

I have never taken BJJ but have taken Catch wrestling for a while now and also wrestled in H.S.

First I have to say that I have taken many seminars in many different martial arts.
If you take BJJ and can get to a Robson Moura seminar DO IT. He is a fantastic instructor. Some instructors are just there for a check or go through the motions. Robson is not. He genuinely loves the art and is very enthusiastic about teaching it. Plus he is one of the best in the world.

I really enjoyed myself. He taught us mostly stuff that you can use in Gi or No-Gi because the people at my school don't have experience with Gi grappling. I thought that was a nicely tailored touch.

I learned mostly stuff that I already knew but with more tweeks or different applications. The new angles of attack and the use of my hips should really improve my game.

Robson is sending a black belt to teach at my school soon. I am planning on attending his class and looking forward to it. The school wll be a Robson Moura/Nova Uniao certified school.

Greco Roman + Catch + BJJ = One danerous ground fighter.

Good for you, man. In previous posts you've seemed kind of down on BJJ and BJJ practitioners, so it's nice to hear that you're being open minded about it and incorporating it into your game.

It's also nice to hear some legit BJJ will be appearing at Degerberg. They might provide some competition to the Gracie Barra up the street.

great to hear that. we are absorbing techniques instead of taking sides.

Robson is a great teacher, ive attended several classes by him. World class technique...obviously though thats what makes you a multiple time world champ

Robson is a great teacher, ive attended several classes by him. World class technique...obviously though thats what makes you a multiple time world champ

Theocean- will you PM me the name of your avatar girl? Wow...

Thats good to hear. There should never be any animosity between catch and BJJ guys anyway.

I mean BJJ has some catch wrestling influence since Mitsuyo Maeda actually did catch wrestling in Europe right around the time he was nicknamed "Conde Koma"..The he went to Brazil and we all know how that story ends...Long story short, some Catch has been integrated into BJJ

I was lucky to take some privates with Robson, and he reworked my top game, and gave me a game that I could use instantly. I learned more in a few hours than a few months regularly.

Sparing with a guy of 135 pounds and getting totally destroyed really shows the beauty of what BJJ is about, and you were lucky enough to see it first hand, by one of the best.

I just got his newly released DVD set. I've only been through the first 3 volumes, but its absolutely sick.

It's also nice to hear some legit BJJ will be appearing at Degerberg. They might provide some competition to the Gracie Barra up the street.

There were 2 blue belts and a purple belt from some other BJJ schools in the area the last day of the seminar for the sparring rolls. Not sure if they were Gracie/Barra or not. I wrestled 3 times that day, 1 time each person. I tapped them all in about 40 seconds apiece. Not to be a dick but I'm not worried about the competition. I can handle myself.

I do like how slick the art is though. I just watched the Mir vs. Lesner fight again. The way Mir throws the heel hook on from his back is so smooth. Classic BJJ.

I'm a little rough on BJJ because most the guys on here are like "BJJ rules all!", "you suck if you don't take BJJ". Well, it's obviously not true. It's a tremendous weapon to have in your arsenal.
I'm not saying wrestling is any better. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
They do blend very well together though.

I'm gonna start my own art called Phil-Jitsu. It will combine aspects of BJJ, catch wrestling and competative speed eating. Who's in?

That's awesome. The two best things that ever happened to my BJJ training was getting the chance to train regularly with a collegiate wrestler and a brown belt Judoka.

When people forget the "x is better than y" crap and try to learn from all the different styles that they can, it can be an awesome journey.

Robson Moura's instructional Fusion is awesome.

That's awesome. The two best things that ever happened to my BJJ training was getting the chance to train regularly with a collegiate wrestler and a brown belt Judoka.

When people forget the "x is better than y" crap and try to learn from all the different styles that they can, it can be an awesome journey.

It's funny you say that because one of the BJJ guys said that sometimes it's hard to grapple with a white belt because the style (which is no style at all) is so unorthodox. You expect them to do one thing because everyone does it and they do another.
I guess I can see that point. That's why it's good to cross train.

On another note, I would love to train with a Judoka. I just found out at the seminar that one of the regulars at the school is a black belt in Judo. I think I need to get tossed around a little.

I'm gonna start my own art called Phil-Jitsu. It will combine aspects of BJJ, catch wrestling and competative speed eating. Who's in?

I'm down as long as the eating comes before the rolling- just to see how many bad decisions we can pack into a two-hour window

There were 2 blue belts and a purple belt from some other BJJ schools in the area the last day of the seminar for the sparring rolls. Not sure if they were Gracie/Barra or not. I wrestled 3 times that day, 1 time each person. I tapped them all in about 40 seconds apiece. Not to be a dick but I'm not worried about the competition. I can handle myself.

I do like how slick the art is though. I just watched the Mir vs. Lesner fight again. The way Mir throws the heel hook on from his back is so smooth. Classic BJJ.

I'm a little rough on BJJ because most the guys on here are like "BJJ rules all!", "you suck if you don't take BJJ". Well, it's obviously not true. It's a tremendous weapon to have in your arsenal.
I'm not saying wrestling is any better. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
They do blend very well together though.

Business competition, dude.

How long have you been training? Most experienced people don't brag about how long it took to tap others, publicly.

And heel hooks arent classic bjj, they come from other arts and have been recently integrated

Back