Catalogue of Core/Abdominal/Oblique Exercises

I'm looking at KW's Big 4 and suddenly wondering about rep-ranges for the decline sit-ups. My current workout has me doing them in sets of 20-25 or so, but seeing the weighted situps right next to a whole bunch of other weighted, not-bodyweight-for-reps-and-endurance exercises suddenly makes me wonder why I'm treating situps differently than every other exercise.

Any recomendations/words of wisdom/advice for situps? Keep them way up in the (relatively) high repetition range, or pile on the incline and the weight until they're down around the 5-rep range like any other lift?

I also have a question about decline situps. Should you do an entire range of motion with your back all the way down or should you stop before your back hits the pad.

I do mine slowly, but not with a "super-slow" cadence. As I lay back, I allow the back of my shoulders to just "kiss" the bench and with no bounce whatsover, I bring myself back up, stopping just short of being vertical on the bench--you will sort of know the position when you get it. I also have a padded piece of foam between the small of my back and the bench--just for a little extra support in that region. If you do it right, it sort of looks like a cross between a sit-up and a crunch where are "curling"" your spine up and then un-curling it back down.

hope that helps

americanian said:
Is this going to become a sticky? I'm hoping so.
It already is a sticky.

Smashius stickied it as a link under the FAQ question: "What are the best exercises to develop core/rotational strength?"

Also, Stonebreaker, the Decline Sit-Up is one of my favorite for heavier work. I don't do ME sets, like 1-3 reps (figure the big lifts will cover the supra-90% loads), but typically my heavier sets go 5-8. I also do 8-12's, and 15-20's, depending on the workout goal. Anything higher than that I do with bodyweight. We always do an ab circuit on class days M-W-F at my MMA Gym, so it's Tu-Th-Sa that I do weighted movements.

Ahh damnit, you guys gave mod to someone from Red Bluff?!!!? Dont you know they are all inbred, they aint got the class of someone from Yreka. You fucked us all!

codysweet02 said:
Ahh damnit, you guys gave mod to someone from Red Bluff?!!!? Dont you know they are all inbred, they aint got the class of someone from Yreka. You fucked us all!
You're just jealous you guys only get sloppy seventeens up there around Weed when our high school girls graduate to CoS.

We're not rednecks, I don't care that the biggest 3-day rodeo in the world is next weekend. I'm going to see all my cousins and ex-girlfriends there. The fact that they're the same people is utterly coincidental.

Keith Wassung said:
I do mine slowly, but not with a "super-slow" cadence. As I lay back, I allow the back of my shoulders to just "kiss" the bench and with no bounce whatsover, I bring myself back up, stopping just short of being vertical on the bench--you will sort of know the position when you get it. I also have a padded piece of foam between the small of my back and the bench--just for a little extra support in that region. If you do it right, it sort of looks like a cross between a sit-up and a crunch where are "curling"" your spine up and then un-curling it back down.

hope that helps
Keith, of your Big 4, three are in the Frontal plane, and one is in the Sagittal.

What do you think would be the best exercise for martial artists to develop strength in the Transverse plane? What about power?

"Keith, of your Big 4, three are in the Frontal plane, and one is in the Sagittal."

I dont believe in astrology....

seriously...for posterior chain type development for the MMA, I would say dumbell/kettlebell type swings......using a hungarian core blaster is great as well.

It's the density of the Hungarian alloys that make it unique.

An alloy is a metal mixed with other elements. The properties of an alloy is different from pure metals.

steel:contains iron and carbon plus other metals. It is stronger than pure iron. It is used as girders for buildings and car bodies. If the steel in question is Hungarian, it is primarily used for Hungarian core blaster manufacturing and various types of nipple rings.

Viola

Keith Wassung said:
"Keith, of your Big 4, three are in the Frontal plane, and one is in the Sagittal."

I dont believe in astrology....

seriously...for posterior chain type development for the MMA, I would say dumbell/kettlebell type swings......using a hungarian core blaster is great as well.
I might be missing something but why these instead of deadlifts for posterior chain?

Deadlifts are implied in any conversation in this forum. This is an assistance discussion.

This is a great thread.

I got a question. I usually do 2 days of core work. There are a lot of excerises here. Can anyone suggest a good sample 2 days of core work form this list?

codysweet02 said:
I might be missing something but why these instead of deadlifts for posterior chain?

Deadlifts are a given, they do hit the backside (posterior chain) as well as anything, thought once you get below the beltline, you will find conventional dl's have somewhat of a lesser effect on the butt and hamstrings, thought if you do them with a bent-legged style and or romanian style along with the coventional style, you will work the entire area quite effectively.

As effective as Deadlifts are, they can only be worked so often, because they take so much out of the body..swings can be performed often and frequently. Swings also are an incredible conditioning tool for the lifter, MMA artist or just about any athlete. You will also find that heavy deadlifts can often make the lower back so strong and well developed, that is almost becomes tight and stiff--swings can serve to loosen the entire area up and create a back that is strong, but very flexible.

By the way, i am a big fan of high repetition deadlifts (when done correctly) and I am writing an article about it right now--should be done by the end of the month.

You can also use the Hungarian Core Blaster to do side and lateral work, kind of like a hammer thrower or a discus field athlete.

Dumbell swings are sort of like overhead squats--they are really not a classical strengthening tool, you would never do them in place of conventional moves, but they seem to work at making you better at all of the basic exercises.

Keith

Keith Wassung said:
Deadlifts are a given, they do hit the backside (posterior chain) as well as anything, thought once you get below the beltline, you will find conventional dl's have somewhat of a lesser effect on the butt and hamstrings, thought if you do them with a bent-legged style and or romanian style along with the coventional style, you will work the entire area quite effectively.

As effective as Deadlifts are, they can only be worked so often, because they take so much out of the body..swings can be performed often and frequently. Swings also are an incredible conditioning tool for the lifter, MMA artist or just about any athlete. You will also find that heavy deadlifts can often make the lower back so strong and well developed, that is almost becomes tight and stiff--swings can serve to loosen the entire area up and create a back that is strong, but very flexible.

By the way, i am a big fan of high repetition deadlifts (when done correctly) and I am writing an article about it right now--should be done by the end of the month.

You can also use the Hungarian Core Blaster to do side and lateral work, kind of like a hammer thrower or a discus field athlete.

Dumbell swings are sort of like overhead squats--they are really not a classical strengthening tool, you would never do them in place of conventional moves, but they seem to work at making you better at all of the basic exercises.

Keith

I agree with you 100% that high rep deadlifts are a good thing. I see alot of hate on that around here but ive always felt good doing higher reps on warmups with light weight and certainly throwing in sets of 8-20 instead of going heavy some weeks.

I am curious if you think that the dl takes more out of you than the squat? I feel the squat takes more out of me than dl. Is there any proof on this or do you base this on your lifetimes experience and the other strong bastards you associate with? Thanks

Back