cartwheel pass: valid or bs?

ohmalley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i'm curious about the cartwheel pass. i have pretty good luck with it against guys my level or lower (7mo white belt), but it doesn't work for snot against solid blues and above. then again, very little i do works against solid blues and above.

in any event, i'm curious: does this passing technique have merit? is it purely a showboat move? is this why you don't see it much in high level competition?

disclaimer: i'm not into the move for the showy factor, altho i'm aware that there is one. it's just that i keep hearing that your game develops in unique response to your own talents and physical attributes, and i've always been really good at the acrobatic stuff. jumping, dive-rolling, cartwheels, jacknives (backrolling into a hand stand where you launch yourself into the air a bit and land on your feet, repeating on down the mat), you name it. i love that shit. in any event, i'm wondering if the move merits further study.

if so, can anybody lend pointers on how to do it well? is the success of the move based on speed? on how perpendicular you are mid-cartwheel? any particulars on how to land? good/bad ways to set it up?

thanks!

yes it works. the key is to make sure that you controll your opponent's head as your are doing a cartwheel so he can't move.

It works best with guys that are very intense and constantly diving/moving. Otherwise you'll end up giving it away. But it still works at higher levels. Cyborg's giant ass shows me up with those all the time.

you have 2 ways to pass the guard.
1- tight and tight
3 - loose - cartwheel would be a classic example - UKE can follow up as you pass meaning he can get up on his knees if you miss the crucial pin control.

Overall, it sucks.

I thought you were talking about soccer and was going to reply "of course they are, are you insane?"

Nothing to see here, moving along...

Renzo at 0:30. Almost suceeds, but Marcelo's so quick to regain guard. Marcelo notes how much he admired Renzo's attempt in his X-Guard book.

one of my favorite matches to watch

pushing the head/neck down as you cartwheel is key.

I bust it out now and again

NOBODY excpects a Super super heavy like me to do it, so I when I succeed it is because the surprise factor not that I am any good at it

It can certainly be effective if you do it right. I've succeeded with it a few times, but I've also been triangled off it too!

we learn a move similar to the cartwheel pass, except you bury your shoulder into the solar plexus, showy like the cartwheel pass, but more control.

use it all the time against whites, blues, purples and even blacks on occassion. i do it only when i just back out of their guard and their back is still on the ground, most of the time we end up in a 360 gaurd position, then i can just sprawl directly into north south.
i've found it works best when used aggressively in combination with other passes like toriander (dont know how to spell).

I bust it out now and again

NOBODY excpects a Super super heavy like me to do it, so I when I succeed it is because the surprise factor not that I am any good at it

haha yeah we have a 270-pound blue belt who uses it, and I've seen him successfully pass a black belt's guard with it.

If you're 270 pounds, ANY pass that consist on you throwing all your weight in the air and then landing on your opponent will work… including the "atomic butt drop" pass.

I wouldn't make a habit out of it but yeah it obviously works

Only problem is if they know its coming. That's 270 lbs of leverage they now have.

Yeah, it didn't work so well the second time he tried it on the same black belt.

Back