• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carla is ready to reclaim her Throne!!

With all due respect, saying she was thrown into the fire is a really dumb way of describing that fight. Carla was the champion, she was the more experienced fighter (in MMA at least), she was better known at the time, and she was the betting favorite. Everyone thought that she was going to beat Joanna like she beat Rose. That's not getting thrown into the fire, she just got beat by a better fighter.

Completely different fighter is also a stretch. She's a better fighter. Her stand up is improved. But she's still a wrestler who lives and dies with the take down. And Rose has improved A LOT more than she has.
Due respect- carla was one of the first womens fighter( nothing against wmma) to come off a TV show and looked like a deer in headlights agsinst an accomplished stand up striker( especially for mma). I bet joanna cause I knew what was about to happen. Carla is a different fighter ( shes polished physically and mentally). Maybe " thrown into fire" couldve been coined better but still.....

In general, Joanna got complacent while alot of these girls closed the gap/ caught up to her.
Obviously Esparza came from somewhere before tuf but wmma back then didnt have much behind it . How many fights did Carla have outside the states and agsinst how many quality disciplines before JJ fight ?

Last edited:
Andrade is a pretty one dimensional brawler
AnDrAdE iS a OnE dImEnSiOnAl BrAwLeR
c1oyzegxx0m21.jpg

I love when people reveal they don’t know what they’re watching.
Tatiana suarez beat the breaks off carla dont too long ago lets not get ahead of yourselves
Coming up fast on three years, and five straight wins for Esparza since that fight.
I don't think it is as much hype as much as her turn in line.

Using Sherdog Rankings Rose has beaten #2, #3, and #4 in her last several fights. Carla was #7 and finished #5. Claudia is #6.
Using more relevant UFC rankings, S4 Esparza just beat #3 Yan. Even better case.
I don't know, fanboy, it sure seems more people agree with me than with you.

View attachment 856817
Wow, you went to YouTube comments for support. That’s desperate.
Because when fights are close, judges tend to give them to the more established fighter.
LMFAO the judges have no idea who like 95% of the fighters are, let alone actually care. These are well connected bureaucrats who basically can’t be fired.

Coming up fast on three years, and five straight wins for Esparza since that fight.

Using more relevant UFC rankings, S4 Esparza just beat #3 Yan. Even better case.

LMFAO the judges have no idea who like 95% of the fighters are, let alone actually care. These are well connected bureaucrats who basically can’t be fired.

You probably mean #5 Esparza beat #4 Yan. The UFC only numbers the contenders. Sherdog shows Andrade as SW still after her big loss at 125 lbs. Depending on her next move she would definitely be above Esparza at SW (unless Esparza wins the belt).

Seriously though, this kind of thread and the people saying Rose had "no chance" against Weili, just prove how continually underestimated she is for some reason. If you pay attention, she hasn't solidly lost a fight in nearly 7 years, when TUF placed her in a title fight way too early in only her 4th pro fight at 22 years old.

Hope it co - mains on a garbage tier card

What are you claiming is false in my post? The link you provided is the same one I have already viewed. The ranking on the UFC site matches this.

1) Rose
2) Weili
3) Joanna
4) Yan
5) Carla

^^^^^ Matches my post saying Carla is #5 SW.
Champs are outside the rankings.

Literally why? Joanna's striking is still light years ahead of Carla's. She's still considerably taller and longer. Joanna still has sick take down defense. I think Carla would do relatively better, but I don't see why you think she would have a real shot.

I don't think Carla would do any better. Joanna's takedown defence is even better than it was back then, and more importantly she's now confident enough to open up fully with kicks, knees, and everything else whereas 6 years ago she fought Carla using only her punches. And she's also noticeably thicker and stronger, other than her ability to make mid-fight adjustments, Joanna is significantly better in every way than she was in her first couple UFC fights. Carla's wrestling is still the same and her striking is only marginally improved, she hasn't made much progress in her UFC career. I doubt a rematch will be any more competitive than their first fight.

c1oyzegxx0m21.jpg

Even in the unlikely case they didn't know who's a former champion, all they'd need to do is listen to Bruce Buffer present him/her to find out.

What are you claiming is false in my post? The link you provided is the same one I have already viewed. The ranking on the UFC site matches this.

1) Rose
2) Weili
3) Joanna
4) Yan
5) Carla

^^^^^ Matches my post saying Carla is #5 SW.
The ranking doesn't mean anything. She wouldn't even be in the top 10 if she hadn't been gifted the decision in 3 of those 5 "wins." She would get destroyed by any of the top 3. She has absolutely no business fighting for the title. Let her have the title shot though. After Rose finishes her in the first round, I'll return to this thread to laugh at all of her supporters.

I don't think Carla would do any better. Joanna's takedown defence is even better than it was back then, and more importantly she's now confident enough to open up fully with kicks, knees, and everything else whereas 6 years ago she fought Carla using only her punches. And she's also noticeably thicker and stronger, other than her ability to make mid-fight adjustments, Joanna is significantly better in every way than she was in her first couple UFC fights. Carla's wrestling is still the same and her striking is only marginally improved, she hasn't made much progress in her UFC career. I doubt a rematch will be any more competitive than their first fight.
Joanna would beat Carla 10 out of 10 times if they ever fought again. Carla's supporters are just delusional. She beat a one-dimensional striker with absolutely no ground game and not a single finish in the UFC, and they think she's the female Khabib.

Even in the unlikely case they didn't know who's a former champion, all they'd need to do is listen to Bruce Buffer present him/her to find out.
You’re ignoring the more important thing: why should they care. Hint: they don’t give a shit

The ranking doesn't mean anything. She wouldn't even be in the top 10 if she hadn't been gifted the decision in 3 of those 5 "wins." She would get destroyed by any of the top 3. She has absolutely no business fighting for the title. Let her have the title shot though. After Rose finishes her in the first round, I'll return to this thread to laugh at all of her supporters.

I love watching Rose fight so I hope she beats Carla on the rematch. But Carla has the rank and I like it when the UFC does occasionally do things based on rank rather than money. Nonetheless we won't know who what when where until something is scheduled. I suspect Dana still has China on his mind.

I think if you're looking at overall improvements, Rose has clearly grown to a greater degree than Carla. Esparza has made improvements but a lot of what she is currently best at is what she was great at to begin with. The way she sapped the will out of Rose in their first fight and broke down her defenses was quite impressive. The first round was competitive and then Carla just dominated from that point.

But the problem for Rose is that even though she's improved more than Carla has and is the more dangerous overall fighter in terms of skillset, Carla is great in the area where Rose might be most vulnerable. Rose is a great submission threat, but, as we've seen with fighters like Ferg- really high level grapplers who secure top position are not going to fall into that dangerous guard game. They are just too seasoned and aware of what is going on.

So while Rose will dominate Carla if it stays standing, Esparza's ground game adds a whole level of intrigue there. Because Rose has not been tested in that regard for years. No one really comes at her with that game plan. As such, we have no idea how good she is at dealing with it. She might be a dynamo in the tdd realm too for all we know. But we can only guess. We do know that if Carla does secure takedowns, it could be a very bad night for her because Esparza has a way of securing rounds off a single takedown.

I agree.

Most of the SW division are strikers with deficiencies on the ground. Rose has a submission game but not a wrestling game.

Because most of the SW division don't have a strong base in wrestling, Carla is able to utilize that gap to control the route of the fight. As far as striking goes, she does tend to have trouble with lanky striker types (common problem for shorter people) but Carla doesn't usually go down with one hit. She will likely take it to the ground again and go for a tko.

I agree.

Most of the SW division are strikers with deficiencies on the ground. Rose has a submission game but not a wrestling game.

Because most of the SW division don't have a strong base in wrestling, Carla is able to utilize that gap to control the route of the fight. As far as striking goes, she does tend to have trouble with lanky striker types (common problem for shorter people) but Carla doesn't usually go down with one hit. She will likely take it to the ground again and go for a tko.
Esparza got dropped by Joanna, who's pillow-fisted compared to Rose.

She also hadnt finished a single opponent in her previous 11 fights before facing Yan, but we're supposed to pretend she's a finisher?

Esparza got dropped by Joanna, who's pillow-fisted compared to Rose.

She also hadnt finished a single opponent in her previous 11 fights before facing Yan, but we're supposed to pretend she's a finisher?
Joanna's finish was a flurry of punches, not a single shot. Rose doesn't fight like that. Plus styles make fights. Carla, unlike Andrade, chains her wrestling whereas Andrade uses judo. Plus Rose leaves herself open to overhand rights.

Joanna's finish was a flurry of punches, not a single shot. Rose doesn't fight like that. Plus styles make fights. Carla, unlike Andrade, chains her wrestling whereas Andrade uses judo. Plus Rose leaves herself open to overhand rights.
Overhand rights? Carla is the female Khabib and a capable striker now?

These Carla fans are getting more and more delusional. I'll return to this thread and laugh at you after Rose finishes her in the first round.

Back