• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carla is ready to reclaim her Throne!!

Plenty of current champs (Sterling, Ngannou, Blachowicz, etc.) have been dominated and finished in the not-too-distant past. So, I don't see how Esparza's loss to Suarez would somehow preclude her from fighting for the title again. She's undersized, but on quite a run. She won some close decisions and some people feels she may have lost those. But the reverse is also true: her decision "losses" to Markos and Gadelha are debatable.

Jarl

Hey, you're the sad case I came across this sad case on youtube this week, I advised you to bet the house on Carla; you remained a salty hater. Well, the wealth (and happiness) gap between us just grew even larger...
cool0003.gif

with statements like 'three gifted decisions' (only someone who is thoroughly stupid, or just a plain hater, or both, would claim the Waterson and Rodriguez decisions were 'gifts' that she really lost) and especially 'far inferior opponents than Rose' (Grasso, Rodriguez, Jandiroba, and Calvillo are not 'far inferior') revealing your impenetrable ignorance of MMA I can see that is likely to continue to be the case...
I don't know, fanboy, it sure seems more people agree with me than with you.

Screenshot_20210523-231211_YouTube.jpg

Rodriguez is a killer and Esparza beat her. It was close but she took her down at will and got it done. Yan is not a can. She shit the bed last night no doubt but she is good and I will bet the house on her next fight if it's not against someone like a Suarez or Andrade. I think she got cocky because she was able to get up from Claudia in her last fight, but Claudia has horrible cardio.
1. Esparza didn"t beat Rodriguez nor Grasso nor Waterson. 2. Yan hasn't finished a single opponent in the UFC. All her finishes are from back when she was fighting nobodies in Asia. She's a one-dimensional striker with absolutely no ground game. 3. It's been years since Claudia could be considered a top contender.

1. Esparza didn"t beat Rodriguez. 2. Yan hasn't finished a single opponent in the UFC. All her finishes are from back when she was fighting nobodies in Asia. She has no ground game. 3. It's been years since Claudia could be considered a top contender.

Esparza did beat Rodriguez whether you agree with the decision or not...

She isn't. Carla got gifted the decision in 3 of those fights.

'Gifted' three times in a row? That would be too much of a coincidence, don't you think? Why would judges favor and cheat for her so much and so frequently?

Underwhelming and razor-thin as those wins are, they're still wins officially and four of them are against legit top 10 fighters...and that's despite the fact that Carla is super small for the division.

'Gifted' three times in a row? That would be too much of a coincidence, don't you think? Why would judges favor and cheat for her so much and so frequently?

Underwhelming and razor-thin as those wins are, they're still wins officially and four of them are against legit top 10 fighters...and that's despite the fact that Carla is super small for the division.
Because when fights are close, judges tend to give them to the more established fighter.

Might as well run it back. She beat Rose for the inaugural title and has a good winning streak going. She's got nothing for Rose these days, but it's good to get another contender in there, especially considering the circumstances.

If Carla was to win the belt that means Tatiana would pretty much be handed the belt on a silver platter, provided she could make weight and earn a shot. Big IFs there but yeah I don't see how Tatiana could lose.

If Carla was to win the belt that means Tatiana would pretty much be handed the belt on a silver platter, provided she could make weight and earn a shot. Big IFs there but yeah I don't see how Tatiana could lose.
Tatiana has decided she's too big for 115. She's at 125 now

Tatiana is poison to Carla stylistically. Bigger, better wrestler. But I also don't see Suarez ever making the cut again. As you said, big IFs. The real thing that Joanna has to be hoping for is that Carla beats Rose because styles make fights. Joanna's path to another title opportunity is much more clear if the person she dominated to originally take the title is champ than if Rose who beat her twice continues to hold the belt.

I think Suarez is just going to be a flyweight from this point on.

Tatiana is poison to Carla stylistically. Bigger, better wrestler. But I also don't see Suarez ever making the cut again. As you said, big IFs. The real thing that Joanna has to be hoping for is that Carla beats Rose because styles make fights. Joanna's path to another title opportunity is much more clear if the person she dominated to originally take the title is champ than if Rose who beat her twice continues to hold the belt.

I think Suarez is just going to be a flyweight from this point on.
Joanna said that she's only interested in fighting Rose or Weili. She's too proud to wish Esparza wins to fight a lesser opponent. She wants to fight Rose for a third time.

Esparza has come a long way from just being over matched by JJ when she was thrown into fire. Like Rose, this is a completely different fighter.
With all due respect, saying she was thrown into the fire is a really dumb way of describing that fight. Carla was the champion, she was the more experienced fighter (in MMA at least), she was better known at the time, and she was the betting favorite. Everyone thought that she was going to beat Joanna like she beat Rose. That's not getting thrown into the fire, she just got beat by a better fighter.

Completely different fighter is also a stretch. She's a better fighter. Her stand up is improved. But she's still a wrestler who lives and dies with the take down. And Rose has improved A LOT more than she has.

Also, I’ve always felt that Esparza could beat Jedrzejczyk in a rematch.
Literally why? Joanna's striking is still light years ahead of Carla's. She's still considerably taller and longer. Joanna still has sick take down defense. I think Carla would do relatively better, but I don't see why you think she would have a real shot.

Because when fights are close, judges tend to give them to the more established fighter.

I honestly can't say that I've noticed that trend. And wouldn't it be in the UFC's interest to gift the win to the up and coming fighter so they can hype them up?

All things considering, I think Carla's wins are legit.

Last edited:
I honestly can't say that I've noticed that trend. And wouldn't it be in the UFC's interest to gift the win to the up and coming fighter so they can hype them up?

All things considering, I think Carla's wins are legit.
It's self-preservation. When in doubt, they tend to avoid screwing the more established fighter because it would get them more negative attention from the media and the fans than doing it to a lesser known one. Judges don't work for the UFC. They don't know/care about who the UFC considers a prospect.

It's self-preservation. When in doubt, they tend to avoid screwing the more established fighter because it would get them more negative attention from the media and the fans than doing it to a lesser known one. Judges don't work for the UFC. They don't know/care about who the UFC considers a prospect.

The judges' names are not mentioned in the media so I don't think they worry about negative publicity.

Back