Cardio On Empty

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Paul1, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Paul1

Paul1 Orange Belt

Is it true you burn more calories running on an empty stomach than you do if you eat before you run?

2. Bizz

Bizz cbjerrisgaard

Ive recently started (and by recently I mean this week lol) working out again.

I asked a smiliar question to a friend who trains for hockey constantly and he said its better to have somthing in you. Doesnt have to be a huge meal or anything but it wont help if you have an empty gut.

3. CoachB40

CoachB40 White Belt

I believe it has to do with your body using what you have eaten for energy vs using what is already in your body. If you supply your body with the energy by eating first, it is likely, that is what you will use first.

4. NoiSe

NoiSe Orange Belt

I wouldn't recommend it.. it would have to be done in the morning (unless you don't eat half of the day, which I hope you don't), and since your body is in catabolic state when you wake up, it'll be detrimental to your muscle. You want to replenish your muscle glycogen stores before doing cardio with a light protein shake and some amino acids (BCAA typically) mixed in it. Then go do your cardio 20 min. later

5. Paul1

Paul1 Orange Belt

thanks

6. onslaught61

onslaught61 White Belt

yea just eat something light, not a whole meal.

7. Charles Kozeluh

Charles Kozeluh Purple Belt Professional Fighter

I run on an empty stomach because if not I have to shit when I'm as far as possible from my house. I'm not joking either but I don't know if its better