Cardio King's Training Log

Cardio King

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of this forum for quiet a few years, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who is involved with it. Here we go.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 154lbs, 14%bf
Style: BJJ

My goal is to become a 141-pound juggernaut by September 18, 2010. Obviously I'd like to look good while doing it, but I'm not training for aesthetics at all.

The diet will go unmeasured (and unlogged) but I'll just keep it clean, lean and plentiful. I'll eat some fruit right after each workout so I have something in the system before I get home, and I'll stay as hydrated as a goldfish.

Each day I'll post the workouts and results at the end of the day. Here is a list of my current lifts/records of the exercises I plan to use throughout training:

Front Squat: 125lbs x 5
Deadlift: 155lbs x 5
Travelling Dumbell Lunge: 45lbs x 5 (each leg)
Flat Bench Press: 135lbs x 5
Standing Overhead Press: 95lbs x 5
Dip: 15
Bent-over Barbell Row: 115lbs x 5
Pull-up: 10
Upright Barbell Row: 95lbs x 5
Dumbell Curl: 30lbs x 5
Skull Crusher: 75lbs x 5
4 miles: 48 minutes

I won't be doing core exercises in the gym. We shred our guts at every BJJ practise, and I'd rather save the gym time/energy on better things.

Any and all input is welcome. Camp beings July 19, 2010. See you then.

"The will to win is not enough, without the will to prepare." - J. Robinson

Welcome to the logs

what do you hope the strength increase does for your BJJ game?

Welcome to the logs

what do you hope the strength increase does for your BJJ game?

Takedowns, sub defense and passing.

Currently I have my blue belt and I wrestled two seasons in high school, so I consider myself a top-side grappler. Obviously I still work my guard like a cheap whore (gross) but my focus in on attaining top position.

That being said, we're jiu-jitsuka; we take anything they leave behind. I hope the strength increase makes my entire BJJ game better. :D

Day 1: The Beginning

11:30am - Strength Training
10 min warm-up
Front Squat: 6 sets
95lbs x 10
115lbs x 10
125lbs x 5 (x4)

Flat Dumbell Press: 6 sets
30lbs x 10
40lbs x 10
50lbs x 5 (x4)

Bent-over Barbell Row: 6 sets
85lbs x 10
95lbs x 10
115lbs x 5 (x4)

Travelling Dumbell Lunges: 4 sets
30lbs x 10 (x4)

Standing Overhead Press: 4 sets
85lbs x 5 (x4)

Pull-ups: 4 sets
bw x 5 (x4)

Decline Twisting Sit-ups: 1 set
20 reps

7:00pm - BJJ
- tough warm-up, lots of push-ups and crunches
- worked side escapes
- light rolling

Reflection
I intended on putting in some early morning cardio but didn't get much sleep and stayed in bed. My diet is going well, just eating clean and eating big. I've decided to let my body go it's own way and tell me which weight I feel best at. Today felt productive, and I hope to get some quality work in tomorrow. Goodnight!

Day 2

8:00pm - Stationary Bike Intervals
Total: 30min
6min - steady pace
6min - 1:1min hard/soft
6min - steady pace
6min - 1:1min hard/soft
6min - steady pace

Reflection
Slept in today and felt a little sore, but played some soccer in the afternoon to loosen up. Intervals after class tonight didn't go as planned, I wasn't sure which kind of bike to use. Ended up going with a spin-class bike and just adjusted the tension during the workout manually. Strength training and jits tomorrow.

Back