cardio hurts strength training?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by legend killa, Jul 17, 2005.

1. legend killa

legend killa Banned Banned

Read an article on a strength training routine and one of the things they said was that to much cardio hinders your strength training.I want to start a strength training routine but I also dont want to be outta shape cardio wise.They said to to stick to 20-30 minutes of walking on a slight incline no more than three times a week.Anybodu have any suggestions for me?

2. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

That's probably not an MMA training article.

3. Aerts/Mir33

Aerts/Mir33 Purple Belt

bullshit

4. TKMaxx715

TKMaxx715 saggy pants

only suggestion i could have is dont listen to them and cut off your subscription to them asap

5. TGR74

TGR74 Brown Belt

Ditch your cardio...have a heart attack in your 30's.

6. kelt_22

kelt_22 Yellow Belt

I am a personal trainer. cardio helps you strength training.
    cardio=more capularies=more blood flow to muscle=better pump/training

extreme amounts of cardio like long distance running, can hurt slightly by burning off muscle and building slow twitch(enderance) muscle in stead of fast twich(explosve/power).

7. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

I think that theory apples more to body builders not athletes.

8. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Purple Belt

hahah, for a minute I was like what is wrong with this kid....I dont see how it can do any harm, as long as you dont run like 10 miles a day or something....jogging has always gave me more energy, both for strength and fighting.....

9. Timbaland

Timbaland Black Belt

Cardio shouldn't affect your weight training performance. If it is you probably need to modify your diet to account for the calories burned from cardio and to help your body recover.

10. Rhadi Ferguson

Rhadi Ferguson White Belt Professional Fighter

It's true. But as a fighter cardio for you isn't a steady 20-30 minute run. When we talk about cardio what we are really looking for in a fighter is an increased anaerobic threshold.

Try more interval, training, more 400m sprints, more fartlek training, and mix in some circuituos type lifting with your regular lifting regimen. Remember quality is more important than quantity.

Short, high intensity intervals require the ability to quickly restore immediate energy supplies so that another burst can be performed. Furthermore, in instances when sustained, high energy is required, high levels of lactic acid produce an acidic environment that will shut down muscle contraction. The ability to quickly recharge the immediate energy stores within the muscle, and to buffer the acid in the system (i.e. the Hydrogen), are NOT improved significantly by steadily jogging a few miles! If you want to create these very important adaptations remember

11. Rhadi Ferguson

Rhadi Ferguson White Belt Professional Fighter

It's true. But as a fighter cardio for you isn't a steady 20-30 minute run. When we talk about cardio what we are really looking for in a fighter is an increased anaerobic threshold.

Try more interval, training, more 400m sprints, more fartlek training, and mix in some circuituos type lifting with your regular lifting regimen. Remember quality is more important than quantity.

Short, high intensity intervals require the ability to quickly restore immediate energy supplies so that another burst can be performed. Furthermore, in instances when sustained, high energy is required, high levels of lactic acid produce an acidic environment that will shut down muscle contraction. The ability to quickly recharge the immediate energy stores within the muscle, and to buffer the acid in the system (i.e. the Hydrogen), are NOT improved significantly by steadily jogging a few miles! If you want to create these very important adaptations remember

12. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Piece of friendly advice: never start a post like this in the training forums. It does not lend to your credibility AT ALL, and will more often than not hurt it and make you seem LESS credible. However, the information after that didn't seem so bad.

IMHO, do interval training 2-3 times a week and call your cardio done. the whole thing will take you about an hour per week and is more beneficial than distance running or walking.

13. moodymikey

moodymikey Blue Belt

as a fighter cardio is one of the most important aspects to cover. whats the point in knowing various attacking moves if you dont have the tank to use them?

14. Evilsteez

Evilsteez Silver Belt

Maybe they meant to say doing cardio on the same days as strength training would affect your performance.

15. legend killa

16. Polynikes

Polynikes Not Impressed

whoa!

rhadi ferguson posts here?

holy shit guys, this guy's a stud...

he's right too...

hey rhadi, good job at adcc and the olympics dude...

17. legend killa

Thats what I said.Looked at his website and was like holy shit.Cant no one make any stupid whitebelt coments about him

18. NaTyBrNbRaWLEr

NaTyBrNbRaWLEr Banned Banned

i have to agree i'm 155 with a natural bodyweight of about 170 and have a 375 pound deadlift and try to do cardio 5 to 6 times a week but having a naturaly strong back could have something to do with it

19. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

I can't begin to imagine how good cardio hurts strength training.

Firstly, prolonged cardio hits muscles a different way and provides benefits that just pumping iron all the time won't. It also helps muscular endurance by expanding stored glycogen capacity in the muscles, providing more of the fuel your muscles need to keep going when training. Better endurance allows for longer, more intense workouts and faster post-workout recovery.

Any good training regimen, especially if you're a fighter should have strength AND cardio. Otherwise, you'll be a cock-strong dude who gasses with minimal effort or a skinny guy who can go the distance without doing too much damage.

20. mcbadboy170

mcbadboy170 Orange Belt

Aerobic running is catabolic (muscle eating). Sprinting and other anarobic movements are muscle sparring. Think about it how many marathon guys have large verticals...or really any muscle at all. While an olympic sprinter looks like the Incredible Hulk.

So basically do interval training...how often to we fight for 40 minutes anyway.

www.crossfit.com explains it too.