Cardio at home?

Teknik

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Basically i'm looking to buy a machine to do cardio in my apartment. I know running is the best, but i have a real problem with shin splints no matter what i do. Plus i live in pennsylvania and it get's pretty fu**in cold in the winter. I'd like to swim, but with my work schedule it is hard to find time to be in the gym with the pool is open for laps. So basically i'm looking for low to mid impact workouts. Walking around Dicks yesterday i came down to a few choices.

Eliptical: I know they are good, but i just don't think i can afford it right now.
Gazelle(with pistons): It looks like it MAY work, but i'd hate to buy it and it be a pos. Plus tony little is a freakin douchebag and i'd hate to put any money in his pocket(unless it works)
Rower: I don't know much about them, but some people say they work well. But i need over all cardo, not just upper body.

Any suggestions?

I have a Gazelle in my basement and it's a piece of shit that my girlfriend bought . Don't waste any money on this. I would go with the elliptical machine it's more of a total body workout compared to a rowing machine. You are going to see cardiovascular improvements either way you go, it's just a matter of developing muscular endurance where you want it. Rowing will improve upper body while the elliptical will work most if not all muscle groups. I would save money for the elliptical if running or roadwork is not an option.

Have you considered tabata-ing a couple exercises? namely burpees, db thrusters and/or squats?

I've done guerilla cardio on the elliptical and it works pretty good. I usually do it after my run. If you live on the first floor and if you have enough space, why not jump rope?

neosamurai1979 said:
I've done guerilla cardio on the elliptical and it works pretty good. I usually do it after my run. If you live on the first floor and if you have enough space, why not jump rope?

EDIT: sorry, read your post wrong. I live on the second floor and don't have the room to jump.

Teknik said:
I jump a little rope now, but i need something i will stick with through the winter. And i know i won't go outside and jump when it's 12 degrees and snowing. I know i might sound like a pussy, but i'm trying to be realistic.
So stick with jumping rope :) It's a good exercise and you don't have to buy any equipment and can be done with little room.

Metafour said:
So stick with jumping rope :) It's a good exercise and you don't have to buy any equipment and can be done with little room.

I don't really see myself jumping rope in the snow.

I have a treadmill in a room in a smallish house. It's nice because it is always there, regardless of the weather.

Ideally I think it's good to do both LSD (long slow distance) cardio and intense cardio. Sprint intervals (or speed jump roping?) are one type of intense. Tabata intervals are another. An elliptical or treadmill will take care of the LSD part--especially with the weather issues you mentioned that will keep you inside.

They are different though. The first kind of cardio is more aerobic, the second more anaerobic.

I hate doing cardio. But I love having a treadmill at home to do it.

Teknik said:
Rower: I don't know much about them, but some people say they work well. But i need over all cardo, not just upper body.

Rowing is actually mostly lower body. Your legs do most of the work, followed by your back and arms. A rowing machine will get you in the best shape if you learn how to use it. Its not just good for cardio but also overall muscular endurance and strength. www.concept2.com dont get any other rowing machine cause the rest are shitty

If you have to use a machine I'd go with the rowing machine, it's a killer. A bunch of my friends row fr their colleges (its a big sport where i am) and they have insane cardio.

At home i do alot of burpees and juimpin sqauts. Do some skipping too

skipping, heavy bag, speed ball, aerobics e.t.c. as long as it takes your breath away it is working your cardio.

just to repeat whats been said: BURPEES, tabata or together with shadowboxing

Back