Carbs

• Thread starter Tkdmmafighter**
  • Start date
T

Tkdmmafighter**

I've looked everywhere i can think of to find an asnwer, but i cant get a clear answer. What is a good carb to protien ratio pre-workout, and post-workout. Also, could anyone tell me the difference between a complex carb and a simple? Examples? thanks alot guys.

i dunno about the ratio.. but i know u're supposed to take in a lot of it.. lol

anyway.. complex carbs take longer to break down.. therefore giving u pretty much steady blood sugar levels (sustained energy).... simple carbs digest much faster and spike ur blood sugar levels giving rollercoaster highs and lows.. (short bursts of energy to sluggish/slow and hungry)

so i guess take simple before workout, then complex after? could someone give me examples of each? pretzels simple? pasta complex?

It depends on what you want to do. I started out at a 50 - 50 and moved from there.

Tkdmmafighter said:
so i guess take simple before workout, then complex after? could someone give me examples of each? pretzels simple? pasta complex?

No, actually, simple is better after, never before.

Also, glycemic index isn't directly related to carbohydrate complexity, Sudo. Some complex carbs have a high glycemic index (but usually lower GI load, the number that is most important) whereas some simple carbs have a moderately low GI. For the most part, what you said is true.

Tkdmmafighter said:

no.. complex all day.. and simple post-workout..

brown rice is complex.. white rice is simple..

quality whole grain bread vs. white bread

etc etc..

Madmick said:
No, actually, simple is better after, never before.

Also, glycemic index isn't directly related to carbohydrate complexity, Sudo. Some complex carbs have a high glycemic index (but usually lower GI load, the number that is most important) whereas some simple carbs have a moderately low GI. For the most part, what you said is true.

yeh.. i was just saying "generally speaking".. i think hardcore strictness in diet is near impossible..

there is also ur acid/alkaline balance.. and optimum health is achieved when your body is slightly alkaline.. (which is why ppl need green powders :wink: )

supersudo said:
yeh.. i was just saying "generally speaking".. i think hardcore strictness in diet is near impossible..

there is also ur acid/alkaline balance.. and optimum health is achieved when your body is slightly alkaline.. (which is why ppl need green powders :wink: )

Actually, those powders don't actually improve alkalinity. RJKD pointed that out, several months back; it was technical, maybe you can find that post.

But green powders are still a helpful and nutrient-dense veggie supplement, although expensive.

Madmick said:
Actually, those powders don't actually improve alkalinity. RJKD pointed that out, several months back; it was technical, maybe you can find that post.

But green powders are still a helpful and nutrient-dense veggie supplement, although expensive.
what?!.. :eek: so how do get ur body alkaline then? if not by consuming "alkalizing greens"? :confused:

supersudo said:
what?!.. :eek: so how do get ur body alkaline then? if not by consuming "alkalizing greens"? :confused:

By warming down for 10-20 minutes following workouts and stretching.

Back