Carb drink

woodacre

White Belt
Reaction score
sorry if this is covered somewhere but i am new and aint managed to find it yet, looking for a good high carb drink for post workout. i already have a protein shake and know i need a influx of carb post workout.

please can people suggest good ones? and also the ratio roughly of carbs to protein after a workout?

Well, personally I think gatorade or the like is adequate, I know it's not quite as well formulated as some things people will recommend, but you can't beat the price if you just buy powder. Works for me just fine.

glyco carb is pretty good you can put the flavourless stuff right into your shake

dont mean to highjack the thread but i've always wondered if its good enough to just eat a sizeable amount of carbs post workout or should i also supplement with a carb drink immediatey after i finish lifting. anyone know?

Well, personally I think gatorade or the like is adequate, I know it's not quite as well formulated as some things people will recommend, but you can't beat the price if you just buy powder. Works for me just fine.

You mean the fact that Gatorade uses Sucrose?

You mean the fact that Gatorade uses Sucrose?

So? It's a simple sugar. Yeah we all want dextrose, big deal. There's a reason why they use it for professional sports games, it works fine.

i use carbo gain by now foods...cheap maltodextrin

people tend to suggest a 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio...50% maltodextrin - 50% dextrose

i personally use 1 to 1...

For what kind of work out

Cardio-LSD or sprint work
Weights-endurance or power/strength

one for a heavy sparring and weights session
and
one for conditioning workout

heavy sparing will count as conditioning IMO

For weights the common idea is that 2:1 carbs:whey, so usually 60g carbs: 30g whey.

For conditioning its usually advised 4:1 carbs:whey, so usually 60g carbs (or less) and 15g whey, but I would probably use 32g:8g

is there a good place to get the suggested drinks? online or sports shops?

ian coe. what would you use to get the carbs? ideally i want something i can put in with my protein shake?

ian coe. what would you use to get the carbs? ideally i want something i can put in with my protein shake?

Throw in some Oats if you like.

Agreed with the oats, but some maltodextrin for during and immediately after training is also good. There's also Waxy Maize Starch, but I cannot comment on this because I have never used it. Some on here have, have a search for a big old thread about it and perceived effects/benefits.

Depends what you're after. For the heavy conditioning days you'll be sweating your balls off so some electrolytes might be a good idea. I used to use accelerade, but they've hiked up the price. Lots of comparable powders out there.

I'm UK based so my sources will vary.

im uk based to, so any suggestions on supply would be greatly welcome! i am new to supplements so need lots explaining to me! sorry if i sound dumb! normally got all things through a steady balanced diet but now training is increasing i need more than good diet and my whey..

im uk based to, so any suggestions on supply would be greatly welcome! i am new to supplements so need lots explaining to me! sorry if i sound dumb! normally got all things through a steady balanced diet but now training is increasing i need more than good diet and my whey..

Those two things take you a long way

they do. but i still feel i need something slightly more. i certainly need to sort out the postwork out carbs. and on a side note, i need to sort out a good snack for my last meal of the night!

So? It's a simple sugar. Yeah we all want dextrose, big deal. There's a reason why they use it for professional sports games, it works fine.

The WMS gang is going to break your legs.

they do. but i still feel i need something slightly more. i certainly need to sort out the postwork out carbs. and on a side note, i need to sort out a good snack for my last meal of the night!

Then I suggest something like malto (or WMS, but don't use whey if you use that) and whey.

As for a snack, milk protein concentrate is cheap from myprotein.co.uk, or you can get muscle milk from elsewhere. From the US they are all cheap but P&P is a bitch. Alternatively there's always cottege cheese from asda :icon_chee

Beta Alanine, Creatine and a good multi and zma should be on your list.

I'll assume you take fish oil, lest MM see's that yo udon't and you get yourself banned

Then I suggest something like malto (or WMS, but don't use whey if you use that) and whey.

As for a snack, milk protein concentrate is cheap from myprotein.co.uk, or you can get muscle milk from elsewhere. From the US they are all cheap but P&P is a bitch. Alternatively there's always cottege cheese from asda :icon_chee

Beta Alanine, Creatine and a good multi and zma should be on your list.

I'll assume you take fish oil, lest MM see's that yo udon't and you get yourself banned

Fish oil yes but only as of recently! as i said i have not been taking much. Ian you mind if i pm you and look at some of the stuff i need there?

Back