Car guys, I need your help

I'd use the money to get a gun. I've seen enough movies to know what goes down when you break down in the middle of the desert.
good movie

Just go to an auto store and have them test both. I'm fairly certain they do them for free. If you wind up having to buy something, I guess there are worse things to suck dick for
VcR8h.gif
ill_suck_your_dick_dont_be_a_menace.gif

If you are having to run off just the alternator you can, but honestly I wouldnt risk it. Stop at an auto store, get that shit checked real quick. Most do it for free. If it's the battery, you SHOULD be alright. If it's the alternator, you're pretty much boned.

Edit: Wait, through the desert? Get a fucking battery you dolt. Even a used one if you have to. What's more important, your life or sleeping in a bed for a night? Dont be fucking stupid and risk that shit.

You can get a charger and connect it to the mains at one end and your car battery at the other. This will charge your battery up. You should have enough charge to start your vehicle within 30 mins max. A cheap one might cost about 30-40$.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/143-2294295-2660930?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=car+battery+charger

You can check the alternator with an alternator tester 10-15$

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=alternator+tester

The above procedures are very simple and require no knowhow or tools.

(1) Establish whether the problem is the battery or alternator (or theoretically both if your car is a piece of sh*t lol).

(2) If it's the battery you need a new one. You can easily change it yourself. Just check the Ah (amp hours) on the side of the old battery and get one with the same power).

(3) If it's the battery just use as little electricity as possible and keep the engine running where possible. Get some jump leads if you don't already have them. Park facing downhill where possible. You can jump / bump start if it comes to it. You can also get someone to tow bump start you if no hill is available.

(4) The alternator generates electricity from the turning engine. It does not produce much at idle. It powers the electrics and charges the battery. If your alternator is kaput it will either charge the battery weakly or not at all. To work around this before getting the alternator repaired / changed, which is more difficult than just swapping out a battery, you can charge your battery externally as linked above. As long as you get a battery charger fit for the Ah of your battery, it will tell you approximately what % your battery is charged. If you get a weaker one it will charge the battery partially and give inaccurate charge %. To fully charge will probably take overnight.

If your alternator is working weakly or not at all, charge the battery as fully as possible and use as little electrics in your car as possible. As you drive the electrics will get weaker, then the non-essentials will shut off, then eventually the car will stop (unless it is an older diesel). Stop and recharge before this happens.

Even a completely new alternator + fitting should not be more than $400, probably significantly less.

Have you considered.

Not driving to California?

I'm driving a 2007 honda pilot. I've only jumped the battery twice before. I've made the drive with one stop a couple times before, but I'm currently going through insane alchohol withdrawals so I'd really like to save the money for one more hotel. I seriously thought another battery would be like 40$ tops, so that really narrows the options when I only have 100$. I got an oil change right before starting the drive, but I'm not sure about radiator fluid. No credit card, no spare tire... It was really a desperate situation that led to this drive... I'm kind of fucked if anything goes wrong. Like it's a seriously stressful fingers crossed drive. Losing my mind worried about possibilities, that's why I came to sherdog. My oldest friends haha
Walmart has a cheap battery for $50 that fits your Honda. It's a ValuePower group 24f.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ValuePower-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-24F/47308797

Last edited:
Driving through the Mojave in August? Get your car fixed man!

Sleep at truck stop, buy the battery, can you find one for 100 for your make/model?

Probably going to have to suck some trucker dick while you're at the truck stop to get your funds up honestly, cause I don't think $100 will cover it

I have no idea but I say go for it and spend ur money on liquor at ur next stop

I'm driving a 2007 honda pilot. I've only jumped the battery twice before. I've made the drive with one stop a couple times before, but I'm currently going through insane alchohol withdrawals so I'd really like to save the money for one more hotel. I seriously thought another battery would be like 40$ tops, so that really narrows the options when I only have 100$. I got an oil change right before starting the drive, but I'm not sure about radiator fluid. No credit card, no spare tire... It was really a desperate situation that led to this drive... I'm kind of fucked if anything goes wrong. Like it's a seriously stressful fingers crossed drive. Losing my mind worried about possibilities, that's why I came to sherdog. My oldest friends haha

Are you drug muling?
Asking for a friend

I kinda feel like this is a natural selection thing. If you make it, congrats.

If not?

giphy.gif

He’s most likely succumb to the elements by now.
RIP TS
Ok dude no, storytime boys everyone sit the fuck down... I made it far, but not all the way before the red battery symbol came on which means my car was going to breakdown any minuet... Luckily there was like one isolated house in the middle of nowhere, so I pulled up close to the house where my car immediatly died. There was no cell phone service, but I remembered that my car insurance had roadside assistence. Crossed my fingers that this old ass creepy house still had a landline I walked up and knocked on the door.

It just opened, and I was like fuck now it looks like I'm breaking in so I turned around but I heard loud knocking in the house so I yelled hello? And someone yelled back but I couldn't hear exactly what they said. I walked in following the voice, and it was coming from a door which led to the basement. I was like ok fuck this I'm out and started leaving, but someone opened the door and looked freaked out.. I was like man I know what this looks like, I thought you were yelling to me, but he shook his head no and asked how long he was down there... I was like how should I know man my car just broke down here I'm leaving now. He said no man what's your name? I'm like Adam what's yours? He said Ron, and the door shut without either of us touching it...

So I knocked on the door like dude you ok? No answer, tried the knob but it was locked. I got creeped out and bailed.

Stood on the road for like an hour with my thumb out, someone finally pulled up and I said I don't need a ride I just need to use your phone, so I called my company, and I'm currently in the passenger seat of a tow truck who is taking my car and I to a hotel. He sold me a battery charger thing I gotta use over night. So yeah my trip took a creepy pee wee Herman type twist for a minuet but it looks like I'm going to make it to California. I appreciate all the advice guys thank you for caring.

I read just driving at 3000 RPM for like half hr to hour is enough to fully charge a battery, so if after driving that long you can't start the car, probably the battery ain't holding a charge or alternator ain't charging.

Can't you just drive to a major car part store and buy the battery and alternator and hopefully it's a store that lends you tools?

...but I remembered that my car insurance had roadside assistence.
Also, check with your car insurance company to see if they provide emergency road service.

There you go, somebody was right. You're welcome. :)
Turning out to be quite the adventure...

Depending on the condition of the battery, it may not charge. If the battery light came on, I would say either the battery or the alternator are done for. The light will come on again once you get on the road. You need a new battery and have the alternator checked. See if the insurance will pay for the new battery. The battery and alternator check are usually free.

Did you check on the coolant level like I mentioned? I know you said you did an oil change prior to the trip, but I would check the oil level also. Sometimes these idiots don't put enough or too much oil in the engine.

Can someone in Texas or California wire you some money?

I have AAA service that may be able to deliver and replace your battery for free. They may require that I be present and show my card or I may be able to do it over the phone. PM (private message) me if you want to try this route. I can't guarantee that it will work.

Last edited:
Back