1. Guest, The MS Paint Shoop Thread v5 is up! Red Block» | Blue Block»

Car guys, I need your help

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by George Carlin, Aug 23, 2018.

1. George Carlin Blue Belt

I have a battery that has failed to start my car and has needed jumping before. Right now I am at a hotel, 7 hours into a 20 hour drive from Texas to California. During this drive there are like 3-5 hour stints of driving through the middle of the desert. Through my own googling I found that once the car is started, it can run off the alternator even if the battery is bad. I have 100$ to my name, a company gas card so gas isn't an issue.... But still planned on getting one more cheap hotel on the drive... I have no way of telling how much more life my alternator has. I'm willing to get a jump or two on the way, but I can't risk the alternator giving out in the middle of nowhere and the car just stopping. Should I spend the money on a new battery tomorrow and just sleep at a rest stop? Or should I trust the alternator and just go for it? I appreciate any advice. thank you

2. lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

beer and a truck stop hooker?
    What do you say @Zap ?

3. OldTimer Orange Belt

[​IMG]

Sorry, I can't help you.

Good luck

4. George Carlin Blue Belt

Exactly how I feel. I am a failure as a man

5. TinkleMan Banned Banned

6. davidlemonparty Black Belt

Even if the car can run off the alternator, are you certain it doesn't need a battery in circuit for this to be successful? If it does not, you might be OK to run off the alternator only and just don't stop the car (or when you do stop the car, get a jump start).
    There is no real reason the alternator will fail in the next 20 hours of driving - unless the reason the bbattery is fucked is because the alternator was playing up (for instance, incorrect voltage regulation or intermittent output).
    In summary:

If you are confident the alternator is not damaged and it did not damage the battery and you can reliably get a jump start when you stop the car for your sleep tonight. Then fuck it, drive away and save your money. Of course you'll need a battery at the other end are you confident you will somehow luck into money then?

7. Fedorgasm Silver Belt

From what you wrote, there is no reason to suspect the alternator will give you any problems. Just try not to stop the engine. You don't have to turn off teh engine even when buying gas. That's a myth. People in super cold climates always leave the car running while they fill it up. So basically, get a jump if you need one, then keep it running if you need gas. If you need food, go through the drive through. If you need to piss, go in the empty cup. If you need to shit, god help you.

8. George Carlin Blue Belt

I have no idea if it needs a battery in circuit for it to be successful.... I just know a jump usually works, but this is a particularly long drive, and for the life of me I can't Google the average life of an alternator with a bad battery.... And dude if I can just get the car home, I won't be worried about paying for a battery. What I'm worried about is standing next to a dead car 5 hours in either direction of any form of society.
    But again, I didn't know what an alternator was even a few hours ago. That's why I was asking for help. I know you aren't a psychic mechanic, I was just asking for maybe general advice, because I literally have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about

9. George Carlin Blue Belt

Thank you guys

10. Phr3121 Banned Banned

Some good advice above. 20 hours of driving and only one hotel stop? I would make it two. Do you have a credit card? A new battery will probably cost around $150 - not sure what size battery or car you are driving. Don't know if folks in your route will have the right size battery in stock. If you are driving 5 hours through the desert, make sure your radiator is in working order (fluid). Make sure you have enough oil in the engine. Also, there are only so many jump-starts a battery can take before it goes out completely. Don't see the starter as a problem. What year car are you driving?

Also, check with your car insurance company to see if they provide emergency road service. Make sure you have a good spare tire if you need it in the middle of nowhere. Engine oil and radiator fluid will be way more important than your battery driving hours through the desert. Good Luck.

11. Phlog Dad Belt

The battery doesn't have to charge for the engine to run, you can just do it.

Pack water.

12. George Carlin Blue Belt

I'm driving a 2007 honda pilot. I've only jumped the battery twice before. I've made the drive with one stop a couple times before, but I'm currently going through insane alchohol withdrawals so I'd really like to save the money for one more hotel. I seriously thought another battery would be like 40$ tops, so that really narrows the options when I only have 100$. I got an oil change right before starting the drive, but I'm not sure about radiator fluid. No credit card, no spare tire... It was really a desperate situation that led to this drive... I'm kind of fucked if anything goes wrong. Like it's a seriously stressful fingers crossed drive. Losing my mind worried about possibilities, that's why I came to sherdog. My oldest friends haha

13. PlayswellwithLawnDarts Banned Banned

Use some sand paper or Coca Cola on your battery terminals to remove any corrosion.
    This would give that weak alternator its best chance.

14. HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

Just think: "What would George Carlin do?".

15. lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

<mma4>

16. Phr3121 Banned Banned

Well, you are not going to be in a life threatening situation. Plenty of other drivers on the road who can help you. Not a big deal, but I would certainly have prepared myself better for this drive. Maybe even taking the bus. Hondas are solid cars. Check the coolant fluid container (white plastic 'bottle' with black plastic cap). The fluid may be 'green' in color. Make sure it is at least 50% full with the engine running (engine hot). Do NOT fuck with the radiator cap - the metal cap to the radiator. You can also buy the 'Fix-a-Flat' can for a flat tire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  17. mjmj Red Belt

If you can find a parts store like Autozone, they’ll test the battery and alternator for free. The alternator can shit itself at anytime, theres no way to tell. But its more likely to be the battery. But a bad battery is taxing on the alternator. You can get a battery that’ll get you there for under $100 if thats the problem.

18. Ghost in the Dark Banned Banned

You can get a charger and connect it to the mains at one end and your car battery at the other. This will charge your battery up. You should have enough charge to start your vehicle within 30 mins max. A cheap one might cost about 30-40$.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/143-2294295-2660930?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=car+battery+charger

You can check the alternator with an alternator tester 10-15$

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=alternator+tester

The above procedures are very simple and require no knowhow or tools.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  19. Uber_Noober Silver Belt

Where are you in the I-10? I’ve been making that drive a couple times a year. I’d get a battery, I drive for 15 hours and sleep in my truck. Get up and drive some more, I get a hotel when I get to the big horn. Drive at night while it’s cooler and just cruise don’t think you have to beat the piss out of your car.

20. MoparOrNoCar Red Belt

I'd use the money to get a gun. I've seen enough movies to know what goes down when you break down in the middle of the desert.