can't sink my omo plata right... suggestions

AntFeeks

White Belt
Reaction score
i love working the omo plata from closed gaurd and i get my foot in front of their face and control the hang no problem, but i have trouble getting my other leg out to give me the balance to pressure them down to keep them from rolling out of it ... i know rolling with it is an option and sometimes i just go into a belly down armbar instead .. but any help would be appreciated

Stephen Kesting's DVD "dynamic Omoplata" changed my life. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to work magic with the omoplata

straighten your leg, it will help you turn your upper body towards the legs

use your hand to keep him down? also that straighten leg idea above. you want to flatten him out ideally. perhaps you are triangling your legs and sitting up too soon.

i love working the omo plata from closed gaurd and i get my foot in front of their face and control the hang no problem, but i have trouble getting my other leg out to give me the balance to pressure them down to keep them from rolling out of it ... i know rolling with it is an option and sometimes i just go into a belly down armbar instead .. but any help would be appreciated

Dont' take my advice for the holy gospel but ...

If you have this problem IMO you are going into an omoplata without using your hips properly. Just twisting the near leg over their face isn't the best way to get into the omoplata, you should actively lift your hips off the ground and twist your whole body and come to face the same direction as him. It sounds to me like you twist your hips only 90 degrees (perpendicular to him), which is why your far leg is caught under them. You should twist them nearly 180 (almost parallel).

Grab his leg or gi pant to pull yourself into him.

let's be honest the omo plata is a tough submission to pull off even with the gi. Take what your opponent gives you. transition to armbars/triangles/sweeps.

I like to gogoplata them if they latch onto the other leg. They'll let go. Then finish the omoplata.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NB-NePIiguQ&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NB-NePIiguQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back