Can't move laterally...

Snowfist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I had an MRI done on my knee last night. Since I had an impact 9 months ago I've had three incidents of varying intensities that sparked up a plague of swelling. It comes and goes when i play soccer with a knee brace. Long story short, I can ride a bike without pain and without generating any swelling. I am trying to prep for my soccer season...

I am riding a stationary bike like a mad man. I can get my heart rate up and work for 40 minutes to an hour. However, I can never get that burning feeling in my lungs like I get when I run hill sprints or play soccer.

My questions are

1. Can you work your lungs on a stationary bike?

2. If your not out of breath, are you improving your aerobic cardio? Or are you just building up your anaerobic endurance, strengthening your legs and burning fat?

My goals are to lose another 16 pounds...(ive lost 9 so far). But more importantly improve my cardio for the season (which has always been lackluster).

Thanks for advice.

As long as your HR is up and more or less in the right range, you are doing what is necessary to develop your aerobic capacity.

Actually, for aerobic work you shouldn't be sucking air or feeling your lungs burning. That generally happens when you go to more intensive levels. I was under the impression that's actually a result of an oxygen deficit in your body, but it seems it's more complicated than that. Either way, don't worry about not getting out of breath.

What is your average HR during a bike-session?

why don't you do hillsprints with a bike? i got a bad hip from arthritis and that is all i do nowadays for intensive cardio. depending on the hill it can get pretty ugly.

You can train your cardiovascular system on the bike, but aerobic adaptations-- angiogenesis, mitochondrial density, etc-- will only occur in local tissue. The cardiovascular adaptations, depending on the intensity and duration of working sets will improve either contractility or stroke volume.

If you have access to a normal-ass spin bike, it's hard to think of an energy system you can't target, especially if you have a HR strap

Also, as noted above, local adaptations tend to be really specific, so I'd aim more at general adaptations to the heart rather than trying to mimic the exact work, rest, and intensity of a soccer match. Some interval work will probably be beneficial for variety, but don't sweat the specificity. Just improve your blood flow and rehab.

What is your average HR during a bike-session?

I need to get a watch or something to monitor this. The bikes at my gym don't tell you. I am glad you mentioned this though, because I have been thinking about getting one for a while.

why don't you do hillsprints with a bike? i got a bad hip from arthritis and that is all i do nowadays for intensive cardio. depending on the hill it can get pretty ugly.

Do you stand when you do the sprints or do you stay seated?

standing is much better for my hip when the road becomes steep. i can't say if this is a good option for lateral knee trouble, though. just try it. at least you have no impact on it. i use hills of different lengths and steepness. i do all sprints standing but you can try both, of course.

also, the pulling on the handle from doing it standing is a good exercise for the core if you do 10+ rounds on a pretty steep hill, you will feel it. you can also switch from using your quads more to using your glutes.

i do this for several years now and i am pretty happy with the results and my joint doesn't hurt at all despite the high intensity.

have fun.

Back