Can't finish warmup

Defy

Unforgiven
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently started BJJ training and i'm out of shape (5'10, 250lbs), recently quit smoking, and have asthma.

During warmup in the class I normally cannot complete the entire thing, normally after about 5-10 minutes i have to stop the warmup and take a break while the class continues.

I quit smoking a few months ago, am on medication for the asthma, and on a strict diet losing weight.

Do you think me not being able to complete the warmup and having to take breaks is frowned upon by the rest of my class? It's a little discouraging.

Should I stop going and come back once i've lost the weight and can finish the warmup? Or stick with it?

Hi,

I recently started BJJ training and i'm out of shape (5'10, 250lbs), recently quit smoking, and have asthma.

During warmup in the class I normally cannot complete the entire thing, normally after about 5-10 minutes i have to stop the warmup and take a break while the class continues.

I quit smoking a few months ago, am on medication for the asthma, and on a strict diet losing weight.

Do you think me not being able to complete the warmup and having to take breaks is frowned upon by the rest of my class? It's a little discouraging.

Should I stop going and come back once i've lost the weight and can finish the warmup? Or stick with it?

As long as you show real effort its fine.

At the same time, you have to show effort from start to finish. Some like to lay back and save energy just for the randori and thats ok but can seem egotistical.

Just keep training and some roadwork on the off days if you are up to it.

Don't worry about it: everyone has to start somewhere. Stick with it, and eventually you'll be able to do the whole thing. Sounds like you're on the right path, having quit smoking and sorted out your diet, so don't lose heart.

Definitely stick with it. The best way to get in shape for grappling is grappling. Quitting for a period to try to get into better shape would be counter-productive.

As long as they can see that you're trying your best, there should be no problem. None of us started off killing every workout day in and day out.

To echo slideyfoot, you're on the right path, just stick to your guns and it'll come to you in time.

Do not stop going! Regular attendance in class is going to get you in shape. Just keep giving it all you've got, and you'll get there one day.

a great man once said "You don't get in shape to train BJJ, you train BJJ to get in shape!"

We had a guy once come in and roll a little. He gassed out real quick and never came again. When we saw him and asked what happen he said "I have to get in shape before I come workout with you guys!" Of course, that was like a year ago and he never trained again.

Point is, don't worry about not being able to hang now, you will soon. Just rest when you need to, but be honest to yourself. In other words rest because you need rest, not because your lazy. BJJ is not easy, but if you push yourself mentally and physically everyday, you will see vast improvement soon. If you stop going with the plan of getting in shape first, you'll probably never come back!

Hey, keep going at it, warmups/static drills don't just make you sweat more, a lot of them make your body more suited grappling (if you can't do shoulder rolls or shrimps, you're gonna flop like a fish once you hit the ground)

And...waiting until you get into shape so you can do BJJ? Good chance you won't be coming back to BJJ if you think like that... However, doing extreme cardio outside of BJJ class (along with doing BJJ) will improve your jits almost twofold (My jiujitsu was much cleaner after I lost 30 pounds)

Thanks for the replys so far. I go to the gym every day that i'm not in training. I've already lost 30 lbs in the last 2/3 months and am still losing weight.

I recently switched from doing no impact cardio (Eliptical machine, bike) to impact cardio (treadmill) to hopefully help condition myself a little better.

The technique and rolling parts of class aren't to bad for me, but after the entire warmup i'm almost completely worn out. Especially if i forced myself thru the whole thing i'm afraid i'd be completely done.

My current diet is also a no-carb diet. I suppose that could be effecting my energy levels in the high intensity workouts?

Hi,

stick with it. if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "I'll start training when I get in better shape", I'd be a rich man today. Set small goals for yourself every day. if you can only do 5 pushups today, aim for 6 tomorrow. That's a 20% increase!! just keep improving

I'm also not one to quit, so if you all think i'm not being rude with my lack of physical abilities, then i'll stick with BJJ while getting in shape.

Two of the biggest guys at my club...

First guy is really big, 6' 6", 270. He has a lot of difficulty with some of our warm ups due to his size so when we do things that he can't, he keeps doing laps around the mats or puts in extra shrimps or crawls.

Second guy is out-of-shape. When he gets tired, usually after just a few laps, he gets a drink of water, sits in the middle of the mat and stretches. When we do line drills or shrimps he stands to the side. When we start rolling he's all about it.

Everybody has respect for the first guy. He knows his limitations, but knows that for everything he physically can't do there's some other area he can work on. The second guy is the butt of a lot of jokes and sometimes riles up the disdain of the higher belts in the class.

My advice is to be more like the first guy in my example and avoid being like the second guy. -ken

As others have said, do not worry about it. Just keep training hard, and the cardio will come to you over time (as long as you are not one of those dudes that sits out warm-up so that you have more energy for rolling, that is usually frowned upon)

And cardio will come, and pretty much everyone at your club has gone through something similar...

Hell i have had dudes who are "in shape" come to the club i train at, and they cannot make the warm-up because it is simpley a different type of exercise that they are not used to...

good training to you man!

As others have said, do not worry about it. Just keep training hard, and the cardio will come to you over time (as long as you are not one of those dudes that sits out warm-up so that you have more energy for rolling, that is usually frowned upon)

And cardio will come, and pretty much everyone at your club has gone through something similar...

Hell i have had dudes who are "in shape" come to the club i train at, and they cannot make the warm-up because it is simpley a different type of exercise that they are not used to...

good training to you man!

Were you watching me yesterday? :)

I had my first BJJ class yesterday and was sucking wind like crazy, (talk about a humbling experience). I have completed 10 marathons, (usually do 1 a year), and am currently running 14 mile long runs on the weekend at a 7:30 / mile pace which is a slower long run pace for me. All of that cardio and I was still dying by the end of an hour, and only about 40 minutes actually "doing stuff".

I guess if I didn't have that cardio it would have been worse, but I get a sense that once you reach a certain level of basic cardio you're not going to get any more benefits without focusing on doing more grappling.

I would say you want to do some basic cardio but I wouldn't kill yourself on a treadmill or (better yet), running outside unless you really just enjoy it.

Good luck, and give me some because I have a feeling I'm gonna need it too.

I've got a buddy that started out 5+ years ago who trained for about 1 year, then has been making excuses why he hasn't been training consistently for over 4 years. It's easy not to train.

Keep at it. No one will think any the less of you -- I and others feel proud of some guys that come in and work to get in shape. It takes a commitment. Good luck to you.

All have you have helped boost my confidence back up.

I won't even consider quitting now. I can't be out of shape forever. So i'll keep with it.

I suppose the day I can complete the entire warmup will be one of celebration! Ha

I had the same problem when i started 4 months ago. I just keep telling myself that it is not going to kill me, so i need to keep going.

Thanks for the replys so far. I go to the gym every day that i'm not in training. I've already lost 30 lbs in the last 2/3 months and am still losing weight.

I recently switched from doing no impact cardio (Eliptical machine, bike) to impact cardio (treadmill) to hopefully help condition myself a little better.

The technique and rolling parts of class aren't to bad for me, but after the entire warmup i'm almost completely worn out. Especially if i forced myself thru the whole thing i'm afraid i'd be completely done.

My current diet is also a no-carb diet. I suppose that could be effecting my energy levels in the high intensity workouts?

You need to immediately get off the no carb diet....you will never have the energy required for these intense workouts. No carb diets can't be maintained over a long period of time and will not lead you to a healthy longterm lifestyle...my wife is a dietician and just the mention of no carb diets sets her off. I am not saying you should be eating donuts and pizza but make sure you have some quality carbs (brown rice for example) prior to training...you can back off them later at night if you arer worried about keeping weight off.

Your not being rude, and people understand. Stick with it. There is a guy in my gym who is 6' 3" all muscle and he can't finish warm up cause he has never done a cardio workout. Time will get you there bro

Honestly how much could my no-carb diet be affecting this?

Maybe I didn't think my diet plans thru enough...

Honestly how much could my no-carb diet be affecting this?

Maybe I didn't think my diet plans thru enough...

That's the first thing I thought of...

But in all honesty - the diet isnt killing you. I had no idea how to eat right all throughout highschool and competed at the top level of soccer at the time. Things have changed and improved now in college.. but the diet won't make a difference in 5-10 minutes for you (as long as you're eating SOMETHING that gives you energy.)

Outside of BJJ - go on jogs. When you watch TV do sit ups. Stretch for fun, just sit there do a butterfly stretch (groin). Walk whenever you can etc etc.

My friend, who's in similar shoes to yours, just went from ~220 to 165lbs. I watched the transformation and I was super proud of him.

One thing I would suggest, but I'm no nutritionist.. is that once you adjust to BJJ, can handle a full class, start going 3-4 times a week and roll around.. that's the time to make an adjustment to your diet in order to enjoy the sport more. Else you'll wear out your muscles etc etc etc.

Once you're in the bjj groove, I guarantee you that you'll loose weight. Everyone that comes to my bjj gym regularly is in decent to good shape. It's those that only come 1-2 a week and that arent really into bjj that don't have the benefits everyone else enjoys.

EDIT:

I just read that you go to the gym every day. I had no idea that you were that committed already. At this point - just eat healthy and smart in my opinion. Every person I've ever talked to that knows something about nutrition says the bottom line is eating smart and doing the work. You'll lose the lbs doing BJJ, just supply your body with enough energy.

Back