• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

****Canelo vs GGG on September 16*** Official Thread

Who do you have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this is how promoting works. You build up the fight with fake drama.
This just doesn't seem like much drama. Canelo's had two basically meaningless fights and GGG almost lost to Jacobs and doesn't seem as invincible as he did last year. Maybe they've picked up some more fans so the fight will get more buys but it isn't any more of an intriguing matchup than it would have been last September.

Youre looking at it from a fan perspective. Im looking at it from the one that counts, which is generating profits.

The build up to this fight will generate more profits. Helen Keller could clearly see that.

Indeed, I am looking at it from a fans standpoint because I'm a fan. If I stood to make any money from the bout then I'm sure I'd agree with you.

Incidentally neither of us could prove your perspective either way.

I predict this fight goes to a decision.

I don't know about out cold.. In canelos 49 fights i don't think he has ever visited the canvas and has maybe been wobbled once off balance. The dude has a chin.
True he hasn't been knocked down but then he's never been hit by a heavy handed SMW like Jacobs before either. Everyone has their limit.

This just doesn't seem like much drama. Canelo's had two basically meaningless fights and GGG almost lost to Jacobs and doesn't seem as invincible as he did last year. Maybe they've picked up some more fans so the fight will get more buys but it isn't any more of an intriguing matchup than it would have been last September.
Floyd/Pac prob would have been a better fight a few years earlier yet it still was the biggest fight ever. Crazy.

Indeed, I am looking at it from a fans standpoint because I'm a fan. If I stood to make any money from the bout then I'm sure I'd agree with you.

Incidentally neither of us could prove your perspective either way.
History agrees with the one Im discussing.

Floyd/Pac prob would have been a better fight a few years earlier yet it still was the biggest fight ever. Crazy.

History agrees with the one Im discussing.

While Floyd Pac was the biggest fight ever and benefited in some way from the years of hype, can you say with absolute certainty that it wouldn't have been just as big or even bigger if it had happened a year or two earlier? I don't think it's too far out of the realm of believability that some people may have lost patience and interest.

The same applies to Canelo GGG too, it will do great business but it could have done a couple of fights back too. That's why it's not possible to prove whether it was the right decision one way or another.

Stephen A Smith claims GGG told him he had to take it easy on guys to get Canelo in the ring with him. I know people will mock this but I can't see why either side (GGG or SAS) would lie about this. Is GGG's ego so big that he needs to he wants to plant this rumor with the media to feel better about himself?

giphy.gif

Weird you say that. If Fedor losing innundated internet servers with a very fresh definition of the word "overwhelming", then Canelo doing whatever you predict will probably have a similar effect. Unless, of course, Alvarez rolls a 20 when casting a cone of silence on the whole internet. Then you'd be correct there.
wAef9_XdSyl_x6qJqcJ9y-JV1rDPOMY-l1X9fnFgx03_6GiKHx8hTTUsX_EuoZtoXkWBA5fcDTkIRQ1Pw4F_FPi0mw_ZMNMJ6lGTCUEc2SVLrRWS5iUdNLsCRsNtoeClUPtCx7GY

You're so over my head. Im humbled at your divine intelligence. I can only hope to come close.

Yeah I saw the movie, not really that impressive tbh. But again, maybe Im just too dense.

Stephen A Smith claims GGG told him he had to take it easy on guys to get Canelo in the ring with him. I know people will mock this but I can't see why either side (GGG or SAS) would lie about this. Is GGG's ego so big that he needs to he wants to plant this rumor with the media to feel better about himself?

In the post fight interview after the Jacobs fight GGG made it sound like he didn't want to finish Jacobs because he felt bad for him and he likes him. Considering he damn near lost that fight I would assume what he said after was utter nonsense. Twice in the past(before Kell and Jacobs)his trainer said GGG was letting himself get hit and go rounds in the hopes that a big name would be more likely to fight him if he looked beatable. Again, that seems highly unlikely. I don't think it has anything to do with ego or feeling better about himself. Boxing is very much about deception. Make them think you're strong when you're weak and that you're weak when you're strong.

The fact is he didn't looked great against Brook even though he smashed his skull into pieces. He didn't look great against Jacobs even though he won the fight. I think it's obvious that made both himself and Canelo more eager for this fight. Canelo needs this fight while GGG is unbeaten and that could easily change if he fought Jacobs again. GGG needs this fight now because he has looked progressively worse in his last two fights. Could be because he was fighting his best two opponents or it could be because he's getting old or more likely a combination of both but for him now is the time.

Would it have been a better fight a year ago? Probably. Would it have made as much money a year ago? Nope. Lucky for both guys nothing stupid happened to ruin the hype behind the match. It has happened many times before where two fighters try to marinate a huge bout too long and someone gets crushed in the meantime costing everyone money and fame and a piece of their legacy.

This is ALMOST the ideal time for the fight. Yeah Canelo's reputation has taken a hit and GGG looked very human against Jacobs and easy to hit against Brook but I'm still really glad the fight is finally signed. Whoever wins gets a lot more fame and respect than they would have a year or two ago. GGG may be a little too ripe at 35 but he could have taken the fight for shit money quite awhile ago.

I still favor Golovkin to win but it's closer now. Canelo has gotten better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back