Media Canelo teaches Brandon Moreno how to throw hook to the body

His uppercuts would work for take down defense, of course he would need to work on traditional TDD but Canelo is far from helpless. Boxers like Canelo are used to fighters level changing and having their head around their hip/waist level. He can hit that with many different punches while moving. Canelo is strong in the clinch as well.
LMAO

Moreno ends Canelo's life inside 1 minute.

I'm not a hater but a double leg would pose problems.
It would I'm not saying it wouldn't. Just that Canelo isn't helpless and he can learn take down defense. He is an elite level fighter. He can do things other fighters can't do even though they have been training all their life. If he applies that to working on take down defense he would be able to learn it as well. Other fighters that aren't even at the high/elite level in mma are able to learn take down defense with no grappling background at all. It would be foolish to assume elite level fighters wouldn't also be able to pick it up and learn it as well if they trained it. People think it's impossible or something for boxers to learn any other skills except for boxing.

I see you have Max in your profile picture. He's a prime example of what a fighter with high level boxing and good take down defense would look like in MMA. Dustin is another example. Canelo's boxing is at a higher level than both of them. Canelo would just need decent take down defense in order to apply his boxing. His footwork/movement/power would be at a higher level than everyone he would be fighting.

Last edited:
It would I'm not saying it wouldn't. Just that Canelo isn't helpless and he can learn take down defense. He is an elite level fighter. He can do things other fighters can't do even though they have been training all their life. If he applies that to working on take down defense he would be able to learn it as well. Other fighters that aren't even at the high/elite level in mma are able to learn take down defense with no grappling background at all. It would be foolish to assume elite level fighters wouldn't also be able to pick it up and learn it as well if they trained it. People think it's impossible or something for boxers to learn any other skills except for boxing.

Agreed

Canelo style would translate very well to mma. Economical but efficient puncher who pick his spots perfectly. And strong as a bull. As you said, he'd obviously need to learn how to wrestle and grapple, but he'd be fun to see how far he could go. Will never happens though

james toney isnt canelo. James toney didnt even throw an uppercut when couture shot a terrible double on him. Toney suppsedly had 9 months to train and had less progress then someone training 9 hrs of defending a takedown. It was most likely rigged to promote the sport(not saying that toney could defend a takedown). Canelo has extremely good uppercuts and is extremely sturdy and strong. Hes also very good when people try to clinch. Canelos boxing base would be a VERY interesting crossover for mma. The boxer that could legitamately crossover to mma and make a run for the title would be loma though.
Canelo isn't James Toney. You can't compare every boxer to James Toney. Are we going to compare every mma fighter to Conor?
I'm not convinced it would go much different. IF a fight were to happen, Dana would give the worst possible match up. Either way, I'd watch it

Agreed

Canelo style would translate very well to mma. Economical but efficient puncher who pick his spots perfectly. And strong as a bull. As you said, he'd obviously need to learn how to wrestle and grapple, but he'd be fun to see how far he could go. Will never happens though
Yeah he's the type of boxer that only wants to fight other elite level boxers. He's not a fan of the cross over fights. But just shows you his mentality. He only wants to fight the best of the best and he doesn't feel mma fighters boxing is at that level.

I didn't say every take down, but it is a form of take down defense. Lewis vs Blaydes for example. It's no different then timing a knee as well. You really think Canelo doesn't have the timing for that? He catches elite level boxers while they are changing levels and using head movement The head usually stays in the same spot and they just change levels and move forward towards you on a wrestling shot. If Lewis can time that, Canelo can as well.

I also mentioned he would need traditional take down defense as well, but let's not pretend non-grapplers can't learn take down defense. Canelo is an elite level fighter. Fighters that aren't even high/elite level are able to learn take down defense.
Not only does canelo do it to elite lvl fighters but elite lvl fighters who are bigger then him and he doesnt just do it, he does it with ease. Look what happened to billy joe saunders. That motion is very similar to a takedown and in 4oz gloves it would be much worse(although 10oz no boxing no life pro fight gloves probably do just as much damage now that i think about it)

Yeah he's the type of boxer that only wants to fight other elite level boxers. He's not a fan of the cross over fights. But just shows you his mentality. He only wants to fight the best of the best and he doesn't feel mma fighters boxing is at that level.

I think it's more about the money and that mma is way below boxing in mexico.

Not only does canelo do it to elite lvl fighters but elite lvl fighters who are bigger then him and he doesnt just do it, he does it with ease. Look what happened to billy joe saunders. That motion is very similar to a takedown and in 4oz gloves it would be much worse(although 10oz no boxing no life pro fight gloves probably do just as much damage now that i think about it)
Yup that's why I think Canelo can time that. He's used to that range and timing already. Plus he's been able to hit fighters with a lot of movement/footwork as they level change, which is very hard because their head isn't stationary and is constantly moving and changing levels.

I think it's more about the money and that mma is way below boxing in mexico.
He could've got boxing money fights because it would've been a boxing fight. He just doesn't look at it as a real challenge for himself.

I see you have Max in your profile picture. He's a prime example of what a fighter with high level boxing and good take down defense would look like in MMA. Dustin is another example. Canelo's boxing is at a higher level than both of them. Canelo would just need decent take down defense in order to apply his boxing. His footwork/movement/power would be at a higher level than everyone he would be fighting.
Fuck, now I wanna see Canelo in a MMA fight. I would have said that's never gonna happen. But combat sports has been getting very interesting lately

I'm not convinced it would go much different. IF a fight were to happen, Dana would give the worst possible match up. Either way, I'd watch it
He wouldn't fight mma and if he did he wouldn't be the type of fighter to not train take down defense like James Toney. Canelo isn't that type of fighter to come in unprepared. Plus if he did lose he would come back even better like after the Floyd loss, and draw with GGG. He completely changed his fighting style up after each of those fights.

He wouldn't fight mma and if he did he wouldn't be the type of fighter to not train take down defense like James Toney. Canelo isn't that type of fighter to come in unprepared. Plus if he did lose he would come back even better like after the Floyd loss, and draw with GGG. He completely changed his fighting style up after each of those fights.
You make great points man

Yup that's why I think Canelo can time that. He's used to that range and timing already. Plus he's been able to hit fighters with a lot of movement/footwork as they level change, which is very hard because their head isn't stationary and is constantly moving and changing levels.
Theres another big aspect too. Assuming canelo fought mma would imply hes training for mma. Now canelos stance and fight style would very likely welcome people trying to take him down. Im sure if he was training he would have VERY good takedown defense and after he defends you are exactly where he wants you to be. long kickboxers/thai fighters would be the hardest obstacle for him to overcome because he doesnt explode to cover distance. Hed have to take a lot of punishment as he walks fighters like that down.

Theres another big aspect too. Assuming canelo fought mma would imply hes training for mma. Now canelos stance and fight style would very likely welcome people trying to take him down. Im sure if he was training he would have VERY good takedown defense and after he defends you are exactly where he wants you to be. long kickboxers/thai fighters would be the hardest obstacle for him to overcome because he doesnt explode to cover distance. Hed have to take a lot of punishment as he walks fighters like that down.
Yes I agree, kicks would be the biggest issue to Canelo's current style. Because he likes to counter and pressure around mid range. But he most likely just bring the fight in inside range to avoid the kicks like he did with GGG on the 2nd fight. He just pressured forward and fought on the inside and countered GGG every time he tried to open up. He can avoid the leg kicks if he fights that way, he would be out of kicking range.

Thats for sure. Toney was old and super cocky, and probably tought that him playing football back in the days was enough to avoid getting taken down. Just in one of his interview (with dana i think) he's talking like he knows it all about grappling and wrestling. Seriously doubt canelo would have tje same mentality

If CLENelo invites him out for tacos it's best that Brandon declines.

Back