Canelo-GGG deal was agreed on for weeks until GGG changed terms

Stop kidding yourself. Canelo needs this fight more than GGG. And no, its not about money. He needs redemption as majority of public and sports world thought he lost even though he cheated. He waited out an older fighter, got his preferred venue, preferred cut from the purse, his own judge, and STILL could not win. The fight will be made at 60/40.
No he doesnt. Canelo still has a long career of absurd pay days ahead.

That said, as a fan, I want him to fight Golovkin. I want to see that fight settled.

No he doesnt. Canelo still has a long career of absurd pay days ahead.

That said, as a fan, I want him to fight Golovkin. I want to see that fight settled.

Yes, if like Floyd he's more about money than his place in history.

As was Ray Leonard. And Ray Robinson. And every other great fighter.
That's true but those two took bigger fights than Mayweather. They all wanted top dollar but Floyd chose his opponents more carefully.

That's true but those two took bigger fights than Mayweather. They all wanted top dollar but Floyd chose his opponents more carefully.
Floyd only fought and beat everyone. Hes really lacking.
Yes, if like Floyd he's more about money than his place in history.
Not going to even bother with this BS. That dead horse has been beaten for a decade now.

Floyd only fought and beat everyone. Hes really lacking.

Not going to even bother with this BS. That dead horse has been beaten for a decade now.
Do you really give him much credit for beating JMM?

I think its a pretty good win and more of an asset to his resume than a strike against him.
It's not a strike against him but even he said he shouldn't get credit for a win if he didn't win by KO. He also fought like it due to his opponent.(Meaning more aggressively)

Last edited:
Do you really give him much credit for beating JMM?

There are limits to the credit that you can give him for the win, but Marquez would go on to arguably beat Pacquiao in a 3rd fight at WW and then KO him a 4th fight at WW. Marquez showed himself to be an elite WW after getting shut out by Mayweather. Mayweather was obviously the bigger man and had a lot of advantages, but it's not a win that you can simply dismiss.

There are limits to the credit that you can give him for the win, but Marquez would go on to arguably beat Pacquiao in a 3rd fight at WW and then KO him a 4th fight at WW. Marquez showed himself to be an elite WW after getting shut out by Mayweather. Mayweather was obviously the bigger man and had a lot of advantages, but it's not a win that you can simply dismiss.
I don't dismiss it entirely but disagree he was an elite WW. He was a blown up FW so you have to take the size difference into account.

I don't dismiss it entirely but disagree he was an elite WW. He was a blown up FW so you have to take the size difference into account.

Manny Pacquiao is the 2nd best WW of his era and Marquez had a drawish fight with him and then knocked him cold at WW. He was undoubtedly elite at the weight during the timeframe of his third and fourth fights with Pacquiao. He was undersized at the weight, no doubt (he had genuinely outgrown FW and was likely best suited for LW or maybe JWW), but both Pacquiao and Mayweather were also small WWs and they were levels ahead of anyone else at WW throughout their careers.

Manny Pacquiao is the 2nd best WW of his era and Marquez had a drawish fight with him and then knocked him cold at WW. He was undoubtedly elite at the weight during the timeframe of his third and fourth fights with Pacquiao. He was undersized at the weight, no doubt (he had genuinely outgrown FW and was likely best suited for LW or maybe JWW), but both Pacquiao and Mayweather were also small WWs and they were levels ahead of anyone else at WW throughout their careers.
Pacquiao is also a blown up FW. He and JMM get extra credit for fighting larger men but I would not classify them as WW's.

Pacquiao is also a blown up FW. He and JMM get extra credit for fighting larger men but I would not classify them as WW's.

Pacquiao has said several times that his body couldn't take cutting even to 130 (before he even turned 30), let alone FW. He isn't a blown-up FW. At most, he's a blown-up LW (he has consistently weighed 150ish in the ring throughout the post 30 year old part of his career). If clearly the 2nd best WW of the era doesn't count as a WW, then it's a fucking bizarre system. A lot of great WWs didn't peak at WW (Mayweather included). That doesn't mean they weren't elite WWs (or, in Pacquiao's case, the 2nd best WW of his entire era).

Pacquiao is a blown FW, JMM is a blown up FW, but only Mayweather is a legit WW despite starting his career at SFW.

Pacquiao has said several times that his body couldn't take cutting even to 130 (before he even turned 30), let alone FW. He isn't a blown-up FW. At most, he's a blown-up LW (he has consistently weighed 150ish in the ring throughout the post 30 year old part of his career). If clearly the 2nd best WW of the era doesn't count as a WW, then it's a fucking bizarre system. A lot of great WWs didn't peak at WW (Mayweather included). That doesn't mean they weren't elite WWs (or, in Pacquiao's case, the 2nd best WW of his entire era).

OK, they are elite at that weight, because they're ATG's. But this is an era of cutting weight so they are at least LW size. That these guys could compete against larger men adds to their legacy.

Floyd had height and reach on both and obviously a weight advantage. He weighed in at 146 for both. Manny who was 145, reportedly was eating before the weigh-in, while Floyd needed an emergency IV administered for dehydration.

The agreed upon weight against JMM was 144 and he wound up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars because he couldn't get that low. JMM came in at 142 and was rightfully pissed at having to give up so much weight.

Back