• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canelo Alvarez vs Jermell Charlo September 30th PBC Showtime PPV

Canelo looks slimmed down. Hopefully theyve realized he got too big and ~5-10lbs of muscle was doing him zero benefit.

Its here at last, expecting it to be decent, charlo has the attributes to keep canelo honest for 6/7 rds, probably even build a lead but i expect him stopped within 10.

This tracks with what I've heard for the past few years about the Charlos not having a functional relationship.

Canelo was shell shocked when Bivol was not only standing, but was fresh heading into the 8th round of their fight. That's the key for Charlo. He needs to bank early and then still be spry enough on his feet by the 8th to move around effectively and stay away from the ropes. If his legs get heavy late in the fight, and he starts inside fighting and getting backed up into the ropes, he's finished.

Gaining the kind of weight required will undoubtedly limit him.
right, but charlo can't move like that. bivol's footwork is masterful. charlo is a good fighter, but bivol makes him look like his feet are stuck in concrete blocks.

that said, i agree that if he wants a chance with canelo, he needs to be in tremendous shape and still be active and moving in the later rounds. if he slows down, he's getting fucked up.

i'm not writing charlo off completely. he is undisputed, and that is a tremendous achievement. he has heart, he's as strong as an ox, and he can match canelo's intensity. i'm expecting a solid scrap here.

I can’t root against either guy, but Charlo is the one I wanna see have his day in the sun. Predicting Canelo takes it but heart with Twin

Man he had one fight at welterweight and he was damn near a teenager then.
That shit don’t count.

undisputed Vs undisputed only counts if you’re in the next immediate weight class. Two, almost a three, is a travesty. The actual undisputed Vs undisputed should’ve been Crawford Vs Charlo which these idiots ruined.

Dude’s been a SMW for his last 9 fight. Two of them at light heavyweight ffs
Height / reach don’t matter as much as weight and natural size. I mean Dwight Qawi was 5’7 / 70 inch reach which is a little less than Teofimo Lopez for chrissakes. And he fought at heavyweight and cruiserweight with success.

This is a mismatch. Anything short of an annihilation of Charlo is embarrassing for Canelo.
The ginger fuk has a made a habit of these kind of shenanigans. He pulls 140pounders, past their bests old heads, functioning alcoholics, dehydrated bodies etc etc as “showcases”.
He has a few ….very few, legit matchups like Lara and Bivol but those are few and far between.

I'm glad somebody is calling out Canelo for a history of suspect match-matching. Having great names on your resume does not make your resume great. Although Canelo is undeniably an ALL TIME GREAT fighter.

Here are his fights since Mayweather (who seemed terrified of the potential devastation wrought by 2 extra Canelo pounds):

- Angulo - A scary KO, but Angulo had already shown his ceiling in stoppage losses to Kirkland and Lara

- Lara - GREAT MATCHMAKING- A close fight, and Lara did run a lot (despite runners almost never winning against the favored fighter in a close fight) so can't fault Canelo for that.

- Kirkland - GOOD MATCHMAKING - Although Kirkland got blasted out by an unheralded Japanese fighter and showed his face first style against Angulo, he was a legitimate menace and Canelo violated him.

- Cotto - Cotto was past his best here and got washed by Trout (whom Canelo had a decision win over) but had just pulverized Martinez. Scores were a bit wide.

- Khan - A cherry picked welterweight with a name.

- Liam Smith - A blatant GGG duck.

- JCC - The ducking and quacking continues.

- GGG - GOOD MATCHMAKING - He's finally in the ring and fights a damn good fight.

- GGG II - GOOD MATCHMAKING - Ages him out another year and tries again; this time Canelo plays the bull, which is where he starts to find his peak form.

- Rocky Fielding - Path of least resistance, but emergence of prime Canelo.

- Daniel Jacobs - GOOD MATCHMAKING - He beat a beast of a fighter, and had Jacobs scared to throw.

- Kovalev - GOOD MATCHMAKING - A calculated risk, catching Kovalev on the downslide, but still dangerous. He kept his killswitch engaged and got the KO in a fight he should have been losing by a wide margin (but wasn't).

- Callum Smith - GREAT MATCHMAKING - Smith had a bad fight against Ryder but was undefeated, in his prime and looking like an absolute killer. Was a bit surprised that Canelo took this match after coming down in weight.

- Yildirim - Fulfilling contractual obligations with DAZN?

- BJS - GREAT MATCHMAKING - He was in ATG form between Smith to this fight.

- Plant - GOOD MATCHMAKING - Plant looked vulnerable but was a legit super-mid and had a length and style to give Canelo problems. He dealt with those problems masterfully, in a closely contested fight. Probably the end of his peak.

- Bivol - GREAT MATCHMAKING - Canelo seemed to do something Mayweather would not do and that is go up in weight to fight the very best guy without catchweights or any bullshit. I was very surprised he took this fight.

- GGG III - Money fight

- Ryder - Why?

Im getting the feeling of Canelo ripping him apart in about 4 rounds, or a Canelo UD with scores of 116-111 and 117-110 (2x).
I think Charlo gets dropped for sure at some point, for those wondering why the scores look the way they are.
Well maybe you finally get 1 prediction right, too bad it was your last one.
Screenshot_20230928-171652_Samsung Internet.jpg

This tracks with what I've heard for the past few years about the Charlos not having a functional relationship.
I heard a recent interview with Jermall where he was referencing that even his parents aren't on speaking terms with him.
Then, the way Caleb Plant was describing Jermall's erratic behavior was nuts too.. Allegedly Jermall was telling Caleb how much he looked up to him before the hands started flying.
Jermall is in a bad way. I think something is going on much worse than a mental lapse due to the divorce.
Didn't their wives have a public fist fight?
Yeah Jermell's GF beat up Jermall's estranged wife. It's funny because they would argue about who's chick could whoop who's. Jermell been training his chick for years lmao. I guess she takes training pretty seriously herself and is super into boxing.

- Bivol - GREAT MATCHMAKING - Canelo seemed to do something Mayweather would not do and that is go up in weight to fight the very best guy without catchweights or any bullshit. I was very surprised he took this fight.
This was a typical Canelo cherry pick gone wrong. They didn't do their research. Canelo was the favourite and Bivol was a nobody.

And the judges still took the piss. Canelo was dominated and Bivol still scraped by.

This was a typical Canelo cherry pick gone wrong. They didn't do their research. Canelo was the favourite and Bivol was a nobody.

And the judges still took the piss. Canelo was dominated and Bivol still scraped by.

It wasn't a cherry pick though. That's what stood out so much for me. There was absolutely nothing soft about Bivol going into this fight. Usually, Canelo's team scopes out the risk and carefully calculates the optics and marketability of a given fight.

edit: my hunch is that Canelo was really feeling himself after being gassed up by the pundits and fans and bought into his own hype

It wasn't a cherry pick though. That's what stood out so much for me. There was absolutely nothing soft about Bivol going into this fight. Usually, Canelo's team scopes out the risk and carefully calculates the optics and marketability of a given fight.

edit: my hunch is that Canelo was really feeling himself after being gassed up by the pundits and fans and bought into his own hype
I don't think anyone was calling Bivol the best LHW in the world before Canelo chose him. Beterbiev was seen as that, and Canelo wasn't going anywhere near him.

The Bivol plaudits came after the fight.

I don't think anyone was calling Bivol the best LHW in the world before Canelo chose him. Beterbiev was seen as that, and Canelo wasn't going anywhere near him.

The Bivol plaudits came after the fight.

Sure, Beterbiev could be seen as 1a and Bivol as 1b or 2 at worst. Still, this is far from a cherry-pick, going up in weight.

Sure, Beterbiev could be seen as 1a and Bivol as 1b or 2 at worst. Still, this is far from a cherry-pick, going up in weight.
Beterbiev was seen as the top dog when Canelo fought Bivol. He'd finished all of his opponents, was a unified champion, and also the lineal champ. Like the other guy said it wasn't until after Bivol beat Canelo that fans became so high on him. His boxing skills are great but his resume is really weak. His best win is over a natural middleweight.

I heard a recent interview with Jermall where he was referencing that even his parents aren't on speaking terms with him.
Then, the way Caleb Plant was describing Jermall's erratic behavior was nuts too.. Allegedly Jermall was telling Caleb how much he looked up to him before the hands started flying.
Jermall is in a bad way. I think something is going on much worse than a mental lapse due to the divorce.

These things are incredibly tragic to read.

These things are incredibly tragic to read.
I dont want to impact any of their ability to make a living. Or pretend like I should have any say in what another grown man does for legal work.
However, as of recently it has been really hard to watch guys like
Ryan Garcia, Teo Lopez, Jared Anderson, Jermall Charlo, Danny Garcia, & Adrian Broner. Younger men that are clearly & openly suffering from depression & or mental illness but who still have to get hit in the head. It just doesn't seem like the right or best thing to do. I can't help but to think a lot of it has to do with getting beat in the head consistently.

I don't know how anyone can view Bivol as anything other than a cherrypick gone wrong. They picked a small LHW who barely had any championship experience. I bet Canelo thought Bivol was too basic to beat him, but basic turned out to be all Bivol needed.

If you are unable to see Bivol as anything other than a cherrypick gone wrong, perhaps consult the betting odds, which were closer than any other recent opponent besides Kovalev and GGG. I fully believe Canelo thought he was going to steamroll Bivol but surely his team and anyone with a sense of boxing history understood that this was an extremely dangerous fight for him.

I don't know how anyone can view Bivol as anything other than a cherrypick gone wrong. They picked a small LHW who barely had any championship experience. I bet Canelo thought Bivol was too basic to beat him, but basic turned out to be all Bivol needed.
If you are unable to see Bivol as anything other than a cherrypick gone wrong, perhaps consult the betting odds, which were closer than any other recent opponent besides Kovalev and GGG. I fully believe Canelo thought he was going to steamroll Bivol but surely his team and anyone with a sense of boxing history understood that this was an extremely dangerous fight for him.
Want the new troll accounts banned? Lmk.

Well maybe you finally get 1 prediction right, too bad it was your last one.
View attachment 1004116

Yeah Jermell's GF beat up Jermall's estranged wife. It's funny because they would argue about who's chick could whoop who's. Jermell been training his chick for years lmao. I guess she takes training pretty seriously herself and is super into boxing.

Sad because as a boxer I preferred Jermall’s style. Excellent fundamentals and worked behind a good jab and right hand. Left hook for when you got in close.
Hands up with good fight and poised balance.

Jermell’s become too much of a power puncher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back