• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canelo Alvarez vs Jermell Charlo September 30th PBC Showtime PPV

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-alvarez-vs-badou-jack-negotiations-going-very-well--175342

However, they are still yet to agree terms with Mexican Independence weekend in September the date initially tagged for that return.

And now Amer Abdullah, the head of Boxing at Saudi Arabia-based Skill Challenge Entertainment - who represent Jack - has revealed that talks regarding a clash later this year are progressing well.

Jack won the WBC cruiserweight title via a 12th-round stoppage of Ilunga Makabu in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia in February and is still yet to arrange his first defense.

But Abdullah told BoxingScene.com: “Yeah we are currently in discussion with Canelo’s team. I am talking directly to them and of course we represent Badou as a Skill Challenge Promotions athlete. The talks are going very well.

“I’m hoping that the talks progress and I think we have a lot of the negotiations and terms met with everybody satisfied. There are one or two more sticking points that I’m hoping won’t turn out to be sticking points. But Canelo is a very established guy and his team know what they’re doing.

Last edited:
Bivol is moving on …. So it’s Benavidez who is facing Morrell next …. So Canelo, who is a free agent will be fighting in Saudi or with PBC next

It's gonna happen and then Canelo will be a World Champion in 5 divisions.
The fight after is a mystery. He could fight one more and I think he'll probably retire after that.

Last edited:
It's gonna happen and than Canelo will be a World Champion in 5 divisions.
The fight after is a mystery. He could fight one more and I think he'll probably retire after that.
I've been thinking the same thing. Apparently Canelo makes a few million in passive income yearly, so he has little financial incentive to fight for much longer.

I also think his significant wealth is one of the reasons why he hasn't looked as good in his last couple fights. Fighting so much in a short time, brutal training camps, and miles on the proverbial odometer are obvious factors, but his drive has to have suffered after all he's accomplished, and we probably won't see a fully committed Canelo if he's not in a legacy defining fight.

Part of me rather see Charlo get the huge fight but he's coming off a long layoff & major issues...just don't like the built-in excuse
I could get onboard with Canelo fighting either Charlo. But, as you said, it'd be better if they were active and healthy going into the big one. In this case Jermall.

So I'm guessing this is why Tim Tszyu's fight with Charlo was postponed? Makes sense, Tszyu had a keep busy fight next week I think, Charlo could lose to Canelo and still have that fight.

I prefer Jack at no less than the old cruiserweight limit of 190lbs. Charlo sounds like a wreck unless its the 154lbs. Charlo.

Charlo is a great fight. When Canelo beats his ass, the same people who claimed Canelo would never fight him will now say Charlo was not a good opponent.

Canelo knows Jack is threat, that's why he wants him at a catchweight. I'll give Canelo huge props if he can beat Jack, but not if he does it with that catchweight nonsense.

Yeah I know if both parties agree to them, then whatever, but catchweights are _typically_ employed by the A side and are just another thing for them to leverage for advantage.

Badou Jack is an interesting pick. I like watching him fight usually, but he has a habit of losing pretty much every close fight in his career. Too many close rounds, and enough that get scored against him. Canelo is usually given the benefit of the doubt for nearly all of the close rounds throughout his career. Canelo will win this pretty handily on the scorecards. I'm not saying it won't be fun, but it'll be a massive upset (more than Bivol) if Canelo loses.

Anyway, since Canelo isn't fighting Benavidez, and who knows about the Charlo fight, I don't really know who he fights next, and, at this stage in his career, it's probably not easy to get up and train hard for just anybody.

Canelo vs Jack is a fun fight if a foreordained one.

Back