Canelo Alvarez vs. Caleb Plant.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who wins?

I think Plant can give Canelo problems with his handspeed and reach.

Canelo is climbing the ladder of the greats. He can fight Plant a couple different ways at this point, Walk him down and walk through Plant or at distance and let the counter game get Plant. Canelo is very good defensively which could also cause problems with Plant connecting. Although he looked good last night, I don't see anything Plant brings to the table that would get a win against Canelo. Canelo is the best boxer in the game right now with the resume to back it up.

It may be early for Plant. That being said, there aren't many opponents under 175 that look like a handful for Canelo.

It may be early for Plant. That being said, there aren't many opponents under 175 that look like a handful for Canelo.
The guy who would give him most trouble is a name he and Oscar are scared to death to mutter

Plant doesn't want the fight and that is a wise decision, IMO.

Plant only fought 2 names

Struggled against Uzcategui (who looked like shit in his last fight)
Couldnt come close to hurting Porky, who was fighting off of 1 leg.

May is not short notice. Plenty of time for a short break and a full camp.
Only getting a 3 week break before doing another camp is short notice. It's the same tactic they used the second time around with Kovalev only Kovalev took the fight because the money was too good to pass up. Plant wants Benavidez next to unify. He obviously likes his chances in that fight. They're banking on Canelo's team improving their offer because he'll be unified after the Benavidez fight, meaning, he can demand more at the table.

Only getting a 3 week break before doing another camp is short notice. It's the same tactic they used the second time around with Kovalev only Kovalev took the fight because the money was too good to pass up. Plant wants Benavidez next to unify. He obviously likes his chances in that fight. They're banking on Canelo's team improving their offer because he'll be unified after the Benavidez fight, meaning, he can demand more at the table.
I think he made the right choice.I think its kind of a shit matchup, honestly. I just don't buy his reason for not wanting it.

You guys do realize that Haymon advises Plant, right? He's the one that advised Wilder's team to pass up the $100m+ three fight deal that Hearn offered him. He advises his fighters to hold out for bigger paydays often. If Plant loses to Canelo (and Canelo will be favored) then he just lost to a Middleweight, and they want to be paid extra given that risk. There's a similar issue playing out in the Heavyweight division at the moment with Usyk. None of the top guys there want to risk losing to a Cruiserweight, and to make matters worse, there's no big payday attached.

Getting Plant vs Benavidez later this year instead wouldn’t be bad at all - and still a clear step up for Plant.

Getting Plant vs Benavidez later this year instead wouldn’t be bad at all - and still a clear step up for Plant.
That’s a cracker of a fight and I would be rooting for benevidez but that’s purely out of fandom

Yes! That’s the fight I want!

A focused Benavidez is an effing wrecking ball, but you never know which version you’ll get.

let's not overate plant yet, his biggest win he faded badly versus a guy no where near the calibre of canelo. he out boxed someone that canelo would have ko'd in 4 recently.
I get that canelo is the face of boxing and people would like to pretend he's not that good but the fact he is really good.

A focused Benavidez is an effing wrecking ball, but you never know which version you’ll get.
That's a sick matchup style wise

Back