Canelo Alvarez vs. Caleb Plant.

You guys do realize that Haymon advises Plant, right? He's the one that advised Wilder's team to pass up the $100m+ three fight deal that Hearn offered him. He advises his fighters to hold out for bigger paydays often. If Plant loses to Canelo (and Canelo will be favored) then he just lost to a Middleweight, and they want to be paid extra given that risk. There's a similar issue playing out in the Heavyweight division at the moment with Usyk. None of the top guys there want to risk losing to a Cruiserweight, and to make matters worse, there's no big payday attached.
eh, Plant fighting Canelo takes him from semi popular hometown boy to the biggest exposure of his career. He just knows he's not ready for Canelo. Its not a business decision.

Usyk doesn't really seem to be chasing big fights either. He's looking to win vacant titles against the B list of yesteryear.

eh, Plant fighting Canelo takes him from semi popular hometown boy to the biggest exposure of his career. He just knows he's not ready for Canelo. Its not a business decision.

Usyk doesn't really seem to be chasing big fights either. He's looking to win vacant titles against the B list of yesteryear.
So all of these top Super Middleweights then just aren't ready for Canelo then, a guy that represents their single largest payday who also happens to be a natural Middleweight? If you think about what you're actually saying then according to your narrative 5 top guys are ducking Canelo simultaneously right this minute. That doesn't sound right, does it? Something is clearly off. And why would Plant risk missing out on multiple career high paydays by fighting the other titlists at SMW to make a single career high payday against Canelo with the highest risk of losing? If Plant loses to Canelo then he can forget those other easier fights that also represent career high paydays anytime soon. If he fights Benavidez next then he gets the fight he's wanted for a year and gets paid more than he ever has as it's a unification, then he can go and do the same thing with Smith and/or Saunders, and then fight Canelo where he can demand even more at the table.

As for Usyk, nobody is making Anthony Joshua give up one of his titles and you know it. He chose to fight Pulev next instead of Usyk. Why? Exactly like I said, because one is viewed as high risk-low reward and the other isn't. AJ will fight him but not if an easier fight is available for him and there's less risk involved.

Plant isn't a bad fight for Canelo. I'd have more faith in Plant looking good at SMW than Saunders, to be honest. He'd have a bit of size on Canelo and he would make Canelo work while not giving him much to counter. It's tough to see Canelo losing it, but I don't think it would be an easy night. It would appear that the big fight in the future is going to be Benavidez/Canelo. It'll be interesting to see if they risk Plant/Benavidez before that happens (Benavidez is very talented, but still pretty raw and unpolished and Plant could give him a ton of trouble).

It would appear that the big fight in the future is going to be Benavidez/Canelo. It'll be interesting to see if they risk Plant/Benavidez before that happens (Benavidez is very talented, but still pretty raw and unpolished and Plant could give him a ton of trouble).
That'd be fun but pbc would have to lend them over to dazn.

If pbc could put plant vs benevidez eventually on ppv they'd do that instead probably

I'm not sure that's ppv worthy though

That'd be fun but pbc would have to lend them over to dazn.

If pbc could put plant vs benevidez eventually on ppv they'd do that instead probably

I'm not sure that's ppv worthy though

Yeah. I'd assume they'd want to line up a Benavidez/Canelo fight on PPV without having Benavidez in a 50/50 fight beforehand (that's what I see Plant/Benavidez at the moment). Or, better yet, maybe Canelo/Plant and then Canelo/Benavidez. They're all good fights, regardless.

Yeah. I'd assume they'd want to line up a Benavidez/Canelo fight on PPV without having Benavidez in a 50/50 fight beforehand (that's what I see Plant/Benavidez at the moment). Or, better yet, maybe Canelo/Plant and then Canelo/Benavidez. They're all good fights, regardless.
Dazn would have to get a shitload of money to put Canelo on ppv. They're paying Canelo like 35m and to have it not on their platform would be a hefty price

I'm all for it if it can happen though....just not sure who's going to give

@MMALOPEZ
Any word on the PBC Plant-Feigenbutz ratings from Saturday?
His last fight vs Lee peaked at 1.14m on FOX, and his fight before that vs Uzcategui on FS1 peaked at 986,000.

The guy who would give him most trouble is a name he and Oscar are scared to death to mutter
maxresdefault.jpg

Dazn would have to get a shitload of money to put Canelo on ppv. They're paying Canelo like 35m and to have it not on their platform would be a hefty price

I'm all for it if it can happen though....just not sure who's going to give

That's a good point, but I think a fair enough sum (or some other arrangement) could get them to the table. A Chicano vs Mexican angle could sell very well.

Not exactly who i had in mind but at 175 that's the dude.

Kinda ridiculous if i said he was ducking him though...Canelo isn't a lhw. He'd be asking for trouble.

Not exactly who i had in mind but at 175 that's the dude.

Kinda ridiculous if i said he was ducking him though...Canelo isn't a lhw. He'd be asking for trouble.
I know, but I'd love to see it. Maybe in a year or 18 months. If Canelo could pull that off...
Tall order, but he's JCC-status at that point.

Who were you thinking?

Regarding a match-up between Canelo and Plant, Plant has the type of style that could cause trouble for Canelo but he needs more seasoning. He's a sharp boxer, has some slickness to him, he's fast, a bit flashy, is comfortable everywhere, a good mover, and has enough pop in his shots to discourage Canelo. Canelo would have some countering opportunities available in that fight but they'd be limited and walking Plant down and getting to him that way would be a challenge since he looks to be too slippery to easily be pinned down.

Plant looks to be the goods but until we see him against the other titleholders we can't know for sure just how good he actually is.

I know, but I'd love to see it. Maybe in a year or 18 months. If Canelo could pull that off...
Tall order, but he's JCC-status at that point.

Who were you thinking?
I think Beterbiev is the John Wick of that weight range. He could knock Canelo the fuck out if you ask me. He is good at boxing and has a big punch. He's not too fleet a foot but neither is Saul.

I had Andrade in mind. They bring up the dubs like bjs and guys who look like shit lately but scared to death to bring up his name. He's the Actual best fighter at mw/smw and Oscar/Caneller both know it's the truth because actions speak louder than words

@MMALOPEZ
Any word on the PBC Plant-Feigenbutz ratings from Saturday?
His last fight vs Lee peaked at 1.14m on FOX, and his fight before that vs Uzcategui on FS1 peaked at 986,000.

PBC on Fox drew a two-hour average of 1.39 million viewers on Saturday night. It had the highest-rated demo among men 18-49 across all networks for Saturday with a 3 share.

It drew 1.464 million viewers in the first hour and 1.319 million in the second hour per Nielsen via ShowBuzz Daily.

PBC on Fox drew a two-hour average of 1.39 million viewers on Saturday night. It had the highest-rated demo among men 18-49 across all networks for Saturday with a 3 share.

It drew 1.464 million viewers in the first hour and 1.319 million in the second hour per Nielsen via ShowBuzz Daily.
Pretty good for a show headlined by one of the lesser known major belt holders vs a guy some people on this forum could compete with

Only getting a 3 week break before doing another camp is short notice. It's the same tactic they used the second time around with Kovalev only Kovalev took the fight because the money was too good to pass up. Plant wants Benavidez next to unify. He obviously likes his chances in that fight. They're banking on Canelo's team improving their offer because he'll be unified after the Benavidez fight, meaning, he can demand more at the table.
Its a hell of a gamble with Benavidez. I would favour Benavidez in that match up by far and then the Canelo fight will never happen.

Its a hell of a gamble with Benavidez. I would favour Benavidez in that match up by far and then the Canelo fight will never happen.
Benavidez looked pretty ordinary in his last fight. Plant seems to be getting better. A year ago, I'd have picked Benavidez. Not sure now.

Thread 1- canelo is top three all time
Thread 2- can he beat Plant

<NightKingBringIt>

I favor Plant in that one. Benavidez's combination of size, power, and hand speed could pose trouble for anyone in the division at the moment. He can fight well on the inside too. But, he does have some real technical deficiencies that I can't just overlook and his defense is very porous. I believe Plant will exploit that stuff.

Benavidez fights WAY too upright (and stiff looking at times), he sometimes crosses his feet and leaves his boxing stance when he presses guys or is being driven back, lacks head movement at times, and he squares up often. Gavril, in their first fight, exploited a couple of those mistakes and managed to drop him with a counter left hook after he squared up with his hands down. You know who has a really nice left hook as a lead and counter? Plant does.

Back