• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Canada's spending on defence falls well short of NATO target of 2% of GDP

Canada is a pretend country, and I don't even mean that to be insulting (well, not completely). It's only through the US's good graces that they can exist, but we continue with the polite fiction that they are an independent country. Which Americans may need to start worrying about the northern border as much as the southern, what with Canada continuing to let a ridiculous amount of immigrants in. Their shit is starting to overflow.

bitch please. we kicked your ass at war before and we'll do it again right after the hockey game.

nitfc1213vnz.jpg

34780d1160492511-canadian-military-technology-canadasfrigate1.jpg

you want some of this?

Last edited:
That’s ok, the US will take up the difference so canadians can brag about free healthcare
To be fair, because of the size disparity between countries, the US can soak up a lot of the investment that might otherwise have gone to Canada, as well as pick up high performing individuals or firms. The efficiencies and opportunities of the bigger market are almost always impossible to overcome for the smaller neighbours.

Canada has no need to dump 2% of its GDP into military spending aka “please buy American military junk with your dollars”.

The US needs its security more than us. We’re not the ones fighting and deposing anyone that doesn’t agree with us / sails their convoy of canoes a 100 miles from the coast.

Whatever we are spending, is good enough. The rest is made up by being the best neighbour they could possibly get, a practical open door for their security / military / intelligence / police agencies, stationing of military assets (missile warning etc) and being a general buffer state for them.

If I was Trudeau, I’d say the diplomatic version of “eat shit.”

bitch please. we kicked your ass at war before and we'll do it again right after the hockey game.

nitfc1213vnz.jpg

34780d1160492511-canadian-military-technology-canadasfrigate1.jpg

you want some of this?

I don't care that our Canadian brothers don't hold up their part of the 2% for NATO... Who cares? That 2% should only apply to the countries in the EU where Russian aggression is an issue.

Canada had the US's back big time after 9/11 in the Middle East

And Canada's JTF2 is among the best in the world.

No one is going to try to fuck with Canada to go after the US from the North anyway, especially Russia. Drunk Canadians would have a field day with any country dumb enough to try to invade them. They'd enjoy it more than Southern US Rednecks shooting squirrels for dinner. And yes, I have friends from Louisiana who like squirrel stew.

I'll take a small band of tight knit elite brothers anyday over a mass general enlistment army.

I don't care that our Canadian brothers don't hold up their part of the 2% for NATO... Who cares? That 2% should only apply to the countries in the EU where Russian aggression is an issue.

No one is going to try to fuck with Canada to go after the US from the North anyway, especially Russia. Drunk Canadians would have a field day with any country dumb enough to try to invade them. They'd enjoy it more than Southern US Rednecks shooting squirrels for dinner. And yes, I have friends from Louisiana who like squirrel stew.

I'll take a small band of tight knit elite brothers anyday over a mass general enlistment army.

bd6b6be17819f5cc5fa223f023b2c99e.jpg

abbba9845dbc1b637f8f9209f626200b.jpg

OarHW6dQXi3ivsEUEC085-yh-zWsj_IKPi5PLyR7OYw.jpg

aint nobody gonna invade canada. our money is not worth fighting for, the temperature drops like 34 degrees right as you cross the border. and you have to drive in kilometers per hour as well, which doesn't make much sense. distance and speed in canada should be measured in moose per hour, or beavers per hour, or hockey rinks per hour.

aint nobody gonna invade canada. our money is not worth fighting for, the temperature drops like 34 degrees right as you cross the border. and you have to drive in kilometers per hour as well, which doesn't make much sense. distance and speed in canada should be measured in moose per hour, or beavers per hour, or hockey rinks per hour.
Re: that second pic, imagine trying to find defensive cover there? Where the fuck do you go?

Funny, I'm reminded of this for some reason,
spies-like-us-578de5ef87af2.jpeg

Know what a great time to increase defence spending would have been?

When Trudeau had first been elected and campaigned EMBARASSINGLY for a temporary UN Security Council seat as evidence that he was “bringing Canada back”. The entire thing was an embarrassing show of how terrible a state our military was in, for the sole purpose of personal brand improvement with no actual intention of improving the nation, headed by one of the many flagpole MP’s that were fawned over by our national media before bowing out of public spotlight in embarrassment (still not even close to Maryan Monsef’s incredible performance of ineptitude, to be fair).

But no one actually cares. I know people who were incredibly excited over the Liberal’s initial election who saw that party not enact a single one of the campaign pledges that they voted for, and they’ve just forgotten. It’s insane. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Know what a great time to increase defence spending would have been?

When Trudeau had first been elected and campaigned EMBARASSINGLY for a temporary UN Security Council seat as evidence that he was “bringing Canada back”. The entire thing was an embarrassing show of how terrible a state our military was in, for the sole purpose of personal brand improvement with no actual intention of improving the nation, headed by one of the many flagpole MP’s that were fawned over by our national media before bowing out of public spotlight in embarrassment (still not even close to Maryan Monsef’s incredible performance of ineptitude, to be fair).

But no one actually cares. I know people who were incredibly excited over the Liberal’s initial election who saw that party not enact a single one of the campaign pledges that they voted for, and they’ve just forgotten. It’s insane. I’ve never seen anything like it.
When the least you can do is still better than the performance of prior governments that tends to happen, I think.

Canadians and their beavers....

images

Canadians and their beavers....

images

there is a nuisance beaver that has set up shop near my house. the city workers would come by and dismantle its lodge, i guess because it keeps blocking off a drainage channel into the river or something, and the determined little crafty bastard just gets right back at it and builds back bigger.

i think the beaver might have won the battle though, as it seems to be running the show these days. either the city tapped out or all of the city workers had met their match and became casualties of war.

just above him is a pole with a platform with a huge osprey nest on top of it that was long since abandoned by osprey, and every year after winter it gets taken over by a pair of canadian geese. i call them nesting geese. actually no, i call them assholes. i dont know if geese nest, but these shithawks just sit up there honking all god damn day like a god damn freedom rally in ottawa. a pair of hawks just had enough of their shit and evicted them the other week though, and they have taken over thank god.

beaver's ain't shit but our geese are a bunch of dicks. put a line of canada goose along canada's border and aint nobody gonna fuck around.

Last edited:
When the least you can do is still better than the performance of prior governments that tends to happen, I think.
I don’t understand your response in relation to my post.

Nobody will invade us now that I got a new shotgun anyways. Military spending in Canada is a waste

No worries, Big Poppa USA got y’all back.

Imagine the sorry son of a bitch country that decides to launch a military strike on Canada, lol. It would be treated and dealt with as if it were a direct attack on the United States and NATO is totally irrelevant to that. Now, if the attacking country IS the United States, then they're in trouble. #AnnexAlberta

Imagine the sorry son of a bitch country that decides to launch a military strike on Canada, lol. It would be treated and dealt with as if it were a direct attack on the United States and NATO is totally irrelevant to that. Now, if the attacking country IS the United States, then they're in trouble. #AnnexAlberta

we've kicked their ass at war before and we will do it again, and then make them say i'm sorry.

military-humor-canadian-army-tanks-are-expensive.jpg

whatcha gonna do brother when the canadian army runs wild on you?

they still need to get off they're asses. most of the military is in decay and under founded .

theyre navy is to small for theyre own good. They should be spending at least 3%

Like the title says, there's no doot aboot it; even with new spending recently announced, we're still not hitting that target--although they claim future spending not yet approved (or announced) will bring them up to the target in future months. Trudeau seems intent on moving like a snail when it comes to increases in our spending. According to some sources, the new spending the Liberals have announced will still only bring us up to 1.6% from 1.3% in 2023. Trudeau has been in office since 2014 so this must be solely his fault, right? Useless motherfucker.

Oh wait,

So, prior to the current budget, we were up to 1.3% from 1% under Stephen Harper. Wadda ya know about that?

Now, it's fair to say, and the article above details, there's been a lot of time for the Liberals to do better but for how long have they been in office under a minority government? Let's say they suddenly announced 4 years ago, during a global pandemic, no less, that to meet NATO targets they were going to enact massive deficit spending to raise the percent of GDP* defence spending right to 2% immediately. How would Canadians react to that when the healthcare system is overwhelmed?

tl;dr The Liberals may not have done great with this issue over the last several years, they nevertheless did better than their Conservative predecessors.

*Edit: I must be tired; I kept wanting to type GSP here :)
Are we still pretending that Canada is a real country?

Canada really needs to stop pretending that they are huge country and that acts like a super power when they arent.
Right now Canada has so many issues.

Back