International Canada spends less tax dollars on healthcare than the USA

It's patriotic to lose your life savings if you get sick!

Yup. My dad went to the US for a life-prolonging treatment that Canada had wait-listed him for.

All the anecdotal shit you hear from Canadians about how great the system here is boils down to 'oh I slipped off the zamboni and a pencil crayon got me right through the toque. 17 stitches, eh.'

Not cancer and shit.
Why should US citizens be glad that our healthcare system is apparently good for serving wealthy foreigners?

If anything, we should charge the rest of you so much that it's free for us.

Maybe so but our healthcare system is pretty shit quality. Waiting months for an operation due to lack of beds and/or doctors is not great.

Why should US citizens be glad that our healthcare system is apparently good for serving wealthy foreigners?

If anything, we should charge the rest of you so much that it's free for us.

Quiet, peasant.

I mean, you get what you pay for. Could America trim the fat a bit on healthcare? Sure.

But most Americans don't appreciate the quality and...consumer-friendly nature of their healthcare is compared to the rest of the world. If you have coverage, it's pretty great.

The things that make it pretty great are:
1) tons of well-trained (and well-paid!) doctors and nurses;
2) big fancy facilities with lots of nice amenities and private rooms;
3) high tech medical equipment.

profit and insurance industry overhead aside, all this shit actually costs real resources to keep operational. You don't magically get Canada's overhead by switching to a 'Canadian model'. To a great extent, the current cost is baked into the system. America simply isn't going to go backwards in terms of healthcare costs unless Yellowstone explodes.

Our healthcare system is anything but consumer friendly. You can call it cheap before you call it consumer friendly.

Nationalizing it would decrease not only the quality, but most importantly, the innovation in the progress of medicinal science. The prime motivation for finding cures, just like with everything else, is to make money.

Does anyone know which country in the world comes up with the most advancements in medicine?

Aren’t publicly funded institutions the ones making the most advancements in medical research ?

I was a private banker for a major nationwide financial institution here in the US. I can tell you from first hand experience working with several Canadian customers, many of them were here in the US for treatment for serious medical treatment such as cancer. They were here in a life or death situation because of the quality of healthcare in Canada. I seen people not just coming but leaving theUS greatful for the US healthcare systeM. Now these were only the wealthiest of Canadians who were able to afford this especially because they didn’t have US healthcare coverage.

Canada is great for minor healthcare issues, outside of that get in line.

Your claims are exaggerated. Many of the treatments Canadians seek in the U.S and unapproved here are still considered experimental, and most who receive this outside chance will still die. I survived a highly aggressive rare cancer thanks to Canadian health care and the only bill I racked up was my wife’s parking fees. It wasn’t a “minor” issue. I didn’t go bankrupt like half of U.S families where one member had to get cancer treatment.

The fact is Canada still has a higher life expectancy rate than the U.S and lower infant mortality rates compared to Americans as well.

Americans like to think their system is better but it’s not. They have one of the most inefficient and expensive systems in the world that service the rich and the poor thanks to Medicaid. But it’s the middle class that suffers once again.

Americans really have no idea what Canadian health care is like despite talking as if they do.

It's patriotic to lose your life savings if you get sick!

how can you pull yourself up from yo ur bootstraps when you have to sell them to afford your healthcare?

Nationalizing it would decrease not only the quality, but most importantly, the innovation in the progress of medicinal science. The prime motivation for finding cures, just like with everything else, is to make money.

Does anyone know which country in the world comes up with the most advancements in medicine?

Not Canada lol

I think one thing worth mentioning too is VA spending. There are a lot of veterans in the United States and we spend $180 billion a year on that alone. I've heard some shitty stories about the VA, but I use them for my healthcare and couldn't be more happy.

I have never experienced long waits, and if I have any kind of emergency I just go to the regular civilian ER, because the big VA hospital is about 75 miles away. I have a bit of a co-pay, because I'm not disabled, but it's very reasonable.

Prescriptions (No matter how few or how many) are $8 a month, but don't cost anything if It's for something that is a one time deal like antibiotics or pain medicine.

Specialty visits like going to the emergency room or having surgery is $50 and other visits like yearly checkups or going to see my family Doctor are $10.

I was a private banker for a major nationwide financial institution here in the US. I can tell you from first hand experience working with several Canadian customers, many of them were here in the US for treatment for serious medical treatment such as cancer. They were here in a life or death situation because of the quality of healthcare in Canada. I seen people not just coming but leaving theUS greatful for the US healthcare systeM. Now these were only the wealthiest of Canadians who were able to afford this especially because they didn’t have US healthcare coverage.

Canada is great for minor healthcare issues, outside of that get in line.
I've generally found that people like to pick and choose stats to bash the US health care system. Ignoring mortality rates and focusing on cost, for example. I don't recall if it was Ireland or Scotland but a few years back someone was touting their health care totally based on the cost, but a google search showed they had among the lowest survival rates of terminal illness in the civilized world.
There's a reason the well to do from across the pond and north of the border come here for health care.

I've generally found that people like to pick and choose stats to bash the US health care system. Ignoring mortality rates and focusing on cost, for example. I don't recall if it was Ireland or Scotland but a few years back someone was touting their health care totally based on the cost, but a google search showed they had among the lowest survival rates of terminal illness in the civilized world.
There's a reason the well to do from across the pond and north of the border come here for health care.
Private supplemental insurance, what is it.

Glancing at the age-adjusted OECD data, cancer mortality rate in the US is at 187 per 100,000 population. Most industrialized countries with universal healthcare are around 200, and Canada is at 207. However the US is beaten by Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Japan and Australia - all of which are lower than 187 and have socialized healthcare.
Those aren't very significant differences. You also can't draw a causal link between universal healthcare and poorer cancer outcomes, seeing as the US gets beaten by many of such systems. It's the Canadian system in particular who's performing less than other universal healthcare systems.

I think when people say "healthcare is so much better in the US" what they actually mean is "The person able to pay 200,000$+ in medical bills is receiving better treatment outcomes." No shit, rich people always make out with an advantage regardless of the country.

I think when people say "healthcare is so much better in the US" what they actually mean is "The person able to pay 200,000$+ in medical bills is receiving better treatment outcomes." No shit, rich people always make out with an advantage regardless of the country.
Government health care sure as hell won't change that.

Back