Can you tell independent contractors how to dress?

That's fair enough but what about the fighters that had and made a lot of money on sponsors and already signed a contract with the UFC way before this Rebook deal was talked about? The fair thing would be to make all the fighters free agents and the UFC would have to resign them and wearing reebok would be in the new contract.

There's going to be stuff in the contract that says they can change it whenever they want. This is like the stuff in your apartment lease that no one reads and they do whatever they want after you sign it. lol

There's going to be stuff in the contract that says they can change it whenever they want. This is like the stuff in your apartment lease that no one reads and they do whatever they want after you sign it. lol

And that could be true. Fighters need their lawyers to look over their contracts.

And that could be true. Fighters need their lawyers to look over their contracts.

Do you have a lawyer look over your credit card agreements or the terms and conditions of a plane ticket you're about to buy? Or heck, have you read the entire employee manual at your workplace or all your insurance benefits?

What makes you think a guy who is going to get hit in the head for money is going to ring up his attorney

Most of them have lawyers, agents, managers, camps etc to look over their contracts. However, they have no leverage in the negotiation.

You have to remember that the vast majority of fighters who initially sign with the UFC have very few to no sponsors at all. When you're the 50th guy on the roster, the LAST thing you're thinking about is the fine print. You just want to be in the UFC so you can get your shot at the big time.

It's not until you actually start building a name that you realize that the fine print actually matters. By that point it's too late. You've signed the contract and you have to finish it out. At that point you can either renegotiate for better terms, or you can go somewhere else.

Most of them have lawyers, agents, managers, camps etc to look over their contracts. However, they have no leverage in the negotiation.

You have to remember that the vast majority of fighters who initially sign with the UFC have very few to no sponsors at all. When you're the 50th guy on the roster, the LAST thing you're thinking about is the fine print. You just want to be in the UFC so you can get your shot at the big time.

It's not until you actually start building a name that you realize that the fine print actually matters. By that point it's too late. You've signed the contract and you have to finish it out. At that point you can either renegotiate for better terms, or you can go somewhere else.

Isn't that sort of like any job? You probably don't start off getting everything you want and when you're good enough, you renegotiate or go somewhere else.

Actually, yes, many people who hire landscapers or independent contractors are in fact building or maintaining multi-million dollar properties. Fortunately though, people much more intelligent than you have made more useful posts here.

Yeah, because at those places the landscapers are the stars of the business! Yeah, you're quite intelligent buddy.

Yeah, because at those places the landscapers are the stars of the business! Yeah, you're quite intelligent buddy.
Actually, if the building is built, painted or landscaped poorly it can screw up the buildings image and even be disastrous. You failed claiming money wasn't being invested and you've failed trying to minimize the contractor's impact. You don't want to get into trying to compare your intelligence with me. You'll lose.

Isn't that sort of like any job? You probably don't start off getting everything you want and when you're good enough, you renegotiate or go somewhere else.
In most cases the contract doesn't last long enough to hamstring you through dramatic changes in your contribution. NBA rookie contracts expire after about 4 seasons. When there are ridiculously one-sided long-term contracts, lawyers usually end up involved.

you can tell an independent contractor whatever the fuck you want, so long as he lies down and takes it like a bitch.

Until such time that the fighters take the IC v employee distinction to court, the UFC can do whatever the hell they want. If they went to court, the uniforms, logos, likeness rights, etc... would all be considered by the Judge. But until such time, the fighters are ICs no matter what the UFC does.

That's fair enough but what about the fighters that had and made a lot of money on sponsors and already signed a contract with the UFC way before this Rebook deal was talked about? The fair thing would be to make all the fighters free agents and the UFC would have to resign them and wearing reebok would be in the new contract.

I would think they had an option to void their contract if they did not like the Reebok deal. My guess is they decided to accept the Reebok deal and are now complaining. I cant see how the UFC could drastically change there policy's and still hold fighters to their old contracts.

In most cases the contract doesn't last long enough to hamstring you through dramatic changes in your contribution. NBA rookie contracts expire after about 4 seasons. When there are ridiculously one-sided long-term contracts, lawyers usually end up involved.

ok NBA players aren't independent contractors...

This question popping up all the time really surprises me.

Of course the employer of the independent contractor can require a uniform.

Damn near every profession has contractors working within it.. From lawyers to soldiers to software developers to retail workers and of course they all can be contractually required to wear certain attire.

I would think they had an option to void their contract if they did not like the Reebok deal. My guess is they decided to accept the Reebok deal and are now complaining. I cant see how the UFC could drastically change there policy's and still hold fighters to their old contracts.

No, they didn't decide to accept the Reebok deal. There's definitely a stipulation in all contracts that reserve a bunch of power to make changes by the contractor. It is boilerplate practically. Just like I bet the lease you signed (if you rent) says to a certain extent that in the case they decide to sell all the apartments and turn them into condos, provided they give you notice and blah blah blah, they can kick you the F out. look for it. they're all there.

Yes. MY company hires contractors all the time and they must conform to our rules or they will be walked off the premises.

Well, there's that. There's also the problem that most people are conflict averse when it comes to negotiation, that or they're just crap at it.

For guys who punch each other in the face for a living, a lot of these guys aren't the types to negotiate hard in a board room. Negotiating hard doesn't mean playing hard ball or screaming across a table, it means knowing how to frame your point of view in a way that convinces the person on the other side of the table that your perception of your own value is closer to reality than they initially perceived.

It's like negotiating the price of something when you go shopping. In the US and Canada, negotiating the price in a brick and mortar store isn't traditional. In other countries it's far more ingrained into the culture. Sure, we do it for cars and houses, but negotiating when you walk into a store at the mall is something that people typically don't do.

Personally, I'll go shopping and if I make any kind of significant purchase ($200-$500+ depending on the item), I'll ask to speak to the manager and negotiate. I'll ask about discounts for bulk purchases, or I'll offer to pay cash (they don't have to pay for merchant fees on cash vs credit card), or I'll point out that I can get a similar or better deal at another store and tell them that if they make me a good offer I'll buy stuff on the spot, or I'll talk about becoming a regular customer because I need to buy that sort of stuff regularly.

I don't always get a discount, but often I'll get 5-10% discounts or even more. However, most people just don't even want to ask.

The same applies to negotiating contracts. If you aren't comfortable negotiating, or come across as desperate, or can't explain to the other party why you deserve more than they're offering then you just won't get as good a deal.

Heck, I've been in jobs where a week after securing a significant deal or completing a project ahead of schedule or below budget for the company I'll ask for a meeting with my manager and I'll discuss the possibility of a raise. I'll start out with pointing out my quality of work, offer calculations of how much money I've generated/saved for the company, and then explain to them that it's only fair that if I'm producing more revenue for the company than my counterparts then it's only fair that I'm compensated appropriately, otherwise what would be my incentive to continue performing at that superior level?

I don't recall ever being refused a raise or improvement in benefits, time off, etc, etc. Of course, I wait until I feel I have a strong position to ask for those things.

The two biggest mistakes that people make when negotiating for better terms or a raise is that they either don't ask, or they wait until they're desperate (position of weakness). The best time to ask is when your perceived value is high. And it's always better to ask and be told 'no' than to not ask at all.

Well, there's that. There's also the problem that most people are conflict averse when it comes to negotiation, that or they're just crap at it.

For guys who punch each other in the face for a living, a lot of these guys aren't the types to negotiate hard in a board room. Negotiating hard doesn't mean playing hard ball or screaming across a table, it means knowing how to frame your point of view in a way that convinces the person on the other side of the table that your perception of your own value is closer to reality than they initially perceived.

It's like negotiating the price of something when you go shopping. In the US and Canada, negotiating the price in a brick and mortar store isn't traditional. In other countries it's far more ingrained into the culture. Sure, we do it for cars and houses, but negotiating when you walk into a store at the mall is something that people typically don't do.

Personally, I'll go shopping and if I make any kind of significant purchase ($200-$500+ depending on the item), I'll ask to speak to the manager and negotiate. I'll ask about discounts for bulk purchases, or I'll offer to pay cash (they don't have to pay for merchant fees on cash vs credit card), or I'll point out that I can get a similar or better deal at another store and tell them that if they make me a good offer I'll buy stuff on the spot, or I'll talk about becoming a regular customer because I need to buy that sort of stuff regularly.

I don't always get a discount, but often I'll get 5-10% discounts or even more. However, most people just don't even want to ask.

The same applies to negotiating contracts. If you aren't comfortable negotiating, or come across as desperate, or can't explain to the other party why you deserve more than they're offering then you just won't get as good a deal.

Heck, I've been in jobs where a week after securing a significant deal or completing a project ahead of schedule or below budget for the company I'll ask for a meeting with my manager and I'll discuss the possibility of a raise. I'll start out with pointing out my quality of work, offer calculations of how much money I've generated/saved for the company, and then explain to them that it's only fair that if I'm producing more revenue for the company than my counterparts then it's only fair that I'm compensated appropriately, otherwise what would be my incentive to continue performing at that superior level?

I don't recall ever being refused a raise or improvement in benefits, time off, etc, etc. Of course, I wait until I feel I have a strong position to ask for those things.

The two biggest mistakes that people make when negotiating for better terms or a raise is that they either don't ask, or they wait until they're desperate (position of weakness). The best time to ask is when your perceived value is high. And it's always better to ask and be told 'no' than to not ask at all.

For example, I'm willing to bet maybe 1 out of 100 read that huge block of text. Imagine if that ran on for 50 pages but in technical writing and not jibber jabber negotiation tactics.

The Hooters girls are independent contractors. They're the reason people go there, but they're paid like shit and forced into a terrible uniform.

For example, I'm willing to bet maybe 1 out of 100 read that huge block of text. Imagine if that ran on for 50 pages but in technical writing and not jibber jabber negotiation tactics.

I agree. It all depends on what you're used to in terms of contracts.

Heck, I remember I once had to work a contract that ran over 500 pages. To say that sucked is an understatement. What made it worse is that when the negotiation was done, we had to initial EVERY page of that contract to show that we'd read it in full and agreed to every term... in triplicate (3 party contract).

1,500 pages of initials, and we had to review every page on every copy to ensure that they were copied correctly.

It was literally hours of initials. My hand was barely able to clutch a pen for hours afterward.

depends on the company, all are different and have different things in the contract

Back