Can you tell independent contractors how to dress?

Yes you can. I work at a mine and contractors have to abide by our dress code, they also have to be clean shaven if they want to be on our property

Theyre fucking employees. The "contract" is really just an employment agreement. The UFC just doesn't want to call them employees because then they would be able to unionize.

Theyre fucking employees. The "contract" is really just an employment agreement. The UFC just doesn't want to call them employees because then they would be able to unionize.

It's not the UFC that calls them that, it's the federal government.

And yes it's in their contract anyways they have to wear this.

This thread really made me think... why the fuck do painters always wear white? If you're going to get paint on your clothes anyway, why must they be white?

This thread really made me think... why the fuck do painters always wear white? If you're going to get paint on your clothes anyway, why must they be white?

No idea. I always assumed it was so that they could use bleach.

Maybe a painter will chime in.

It's not the UFC that calls them that, it's the federal government.

And yes it's in their contract anyways they have to wear this.

No. Its the company that determines their status. Companies get in trouble all the time for misclassifying employees as independent contractors.

If the fighter is not allowed to fight in other organizations, they should be considered an employee, not a contractor. The whole point of independent contractor status is autonomy for freelancing and the ability to take on work from multiple clients.

Name one way that the UFC treats its fighters as independent contractors. Ill wait.

Where I work there are strict clothing and personal protective equipment requirements. Not only are all contractors required to wear all these items to even come to work they need to provide it for themselves for the most part.

Obviously a much different situation but it's all in the agreement and whether or not you want to be awarded that particular contract with such stipulations.

Isn't that sort of like any job? You probably don't start off getting everything you want and when you're good enough, you renegotiate or go somewhere else.

Exactly. Most of the guys on the roster will never have that kind of leverage though.

The only one who does who has spoken up about this is Aldo. And he only did because he felt disrespected by the whole Conor situation. He didn't have a bad word to say about them until that back and forth with Dana about him pulling out.

No. Its the company that determines their status. Companies get in trouble all the time for misclassifying employees as independent contractors.

True but that would never happen with the UFC. These guys really are independent contractors. They don't even make a regular salary. And they pay for their own training and expenses. I can't see a judge ever deciding they are employees.

Employees don't have the freedom to just sit out for a year and enjoy life.

Lots of independent contractors are hired as in building maintenance or cleaning staff.

Some wear their company logo's.

Some wear the building/businesses they are working for's name.

So in answer...yes.

Funny thing with contracts, is that you can add almost anything to it.
As long as it is not illegal, and the other person signs it, they have to abide by what they signed.

Fighters are not independent contractors. Dana just calls them that, because nobody challenges him on that just like on many things.

Tell us how they aren't independent contractors, please.

It would probably be easier to tell contractors how to dress than employees.

True but that would never happen with the UFC. These guys really are independent contractors. They don't even make a regular salary. And they pay for their own training and expenses. I can't see a judge ever deciding they are employees.

Employees don't have the freedom to just sit out for a year and enjoy life.

Thats stuff they do on their own time, not their actual job itself. With the exception of maybe the cup and mouthguard (provided by fighter) and handwraps (provided by AC), everything else used to do their actual job is provided by the UFC.

The fact that they cant fight for other promotions despite "being their own bosses" (as an independent contractor is supposed to), should make them employees. The UFC mandates their appearances and what they must where. There is a difference between a dress code and a uniform.

Thats stuff they do on their own time, not their actual job itself. With the exception of maybe the cup and mouthguard (provided by fighter) and handwraps (provided by AC), everything else used to do their actual job is provided by the UFC.

They have entire training camps, coaches, and nutritionists for each fight. The UFC has nothing to do with that.

The fact that they cant fight for other promotions despite "being their own bosses" (as an independent contractor is supposed to), should make them employees. The UFC mandates their appearances and what they must where. There is a difference between a dress code and a uniform.

Nothing you've mentioned is a distinction between employees and independent contractors.

You are wrong on every point you made. You can absolutely tell an independent contractor how to do the job and you can tell them what to wear. Ever seen a FedEx Ground driver? They are all independent contractors in a uniform and delivering the packages when, where, and how they are told.

You are wrong on every point you made. You can absolutely tell an independent contractor how to do the job and you can tell them what to wear. Ever seen a FedEx Ground driver? They are all independent contractors in a uniform and delivering the packages when, where, and how they are told.

They can also work for other companies in the delivery business.

Back