Can you safely cut from 175 to 155 in a month?

Rock Hard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I mean without it affecting your performance the day after the weigh in. Is it possible? Or should I just fight at 170? Are there tournaments that do 165?

I'd say so. A very strict diet could get you from 175 to about 165 in 3.5 weeks, then the last couple days could be spent cutting water. It's difficult and painful, but definitely doable with discipline and an intelligent approach to cutting the weight. Just make sure to rehydrate aggressively in the 24 hours after weighing in.

its possible but if you have no prior experience cutting and its your first time, then i doubt you can do it or it will be hard for you.

Your practices will be draining and lackluster cutting so much in so short time. IT'S doable though.

If it's just an amatuer tournement then why not just fight at 170?

Depends on your level of fitness starting out. If you're not trim/cut already, with solid diet and increased exercise it's definitely possible. If you're pretty low BF% already, short of massive dehydration and some high-level nutrition tweaking, I'd say no.

Example: Junior year, I weighed ~185 during football season. I wrestled at 160. Made the cut in about four weeks and I was fairly fit from football, but the huge increase in workouts and changed diet for wrestling season made it so the first 20 pounds came easy - first 2 weeks - and only the last 5 pounds were tough. Wrestling has day-of weigh-ins, didn't feel like my performance was affected.

It can be done but if you've never done it before, I wouldn't recommend it.

That's roughly 70,000 calories that you need to burn in excess of what you intake in 30 days. That's in the neighborhood of 2400 calories per day you need to cut or burn. That is assuming you're trying to drop body fat. If you lose 10 lbs of body fat and take the rest off in water weight, then cut those numbers in half.

I myself wouldnt try that cut. I'd say 15 pounds max in a month

I walk around at around 175 and can cut to 163 for a wrestling tournament in a day or two

I mean without it affecting your performance the day after the weigh in. Is it possible? Or should I just fight at 170? Are there tournaments that do 165?

If you are not experienced at cutting water weight and re-hydrating, it would be pretty tough going. I would say cutting 8-9 lbs of water the 2 days before would be the most you want to try the first time out. And I would only suggest that if weigh in-s were the day before.

That means you would need to operate at a daily 1300 calorie deficit or so between now and fight time to lose the 11 lbs, leaving you to wring out the other 9. That level of deficit for that long will certainly impact your training and energy levels. It will leave you more susceptible to injuries and illnesses.

For an amateur bout- not worth it. Those are for experience.

Back