Can you do a double leg without hitting your knee off the ground?

ufc100gspalves6.gif

According to the current coach of a freestyle wrestling world champion the ideal DL technique is without hitting the knee on the ground. With the knee on the ground you loose a lot of force in that istant and the opponent can avoid or pin you.

Last edited:
According to the current coach of a freestyle wrestling world champion the ideal DL technique is without hitting the knee on the ground. With the knee on the ground you loose a lot of force in that istant and the opponent can avoid or pin you.

please post a video of this. who is the coach?

This video illustrates my earlier point. Yes you can hit a double leg without hitting your knee.. but being able to do so effectively and consistently usually requires much more explosiveness, power, and athleticism. And my philosophy as a coach has always been to teach techniques that don't depend on athleticism much more than others if I have an explosive athlete I'll adjust for them but overall I follow this policy
This is like those "studies" you made up about freestyle being better than folkstyle.. why be vague. Why can't you tell us who the coach is? I'm not being sarcastic or mean, genuinely curious..

I know its not Burroughs coach Mark Manning. And if it's Chamizo's Italian coach that always has the asterisk that he's from Cuba and wasn't developed in Italy. I actually like studying and observing wrestling coaches with different philosophies and why... so please don't be vague

I would be willing to bet it's because you were taught a "double" before a proper level change, drop step, back step and/or any of the other "skills" you need before the "techniques"
Yeah most likely.

]This video illustrates my earlier point. Yes you can hit a double leg without hitting your knee.. but being able to do so effectively and consistently usually requires much more explosiveness, power, and athleticism. And my philosophy as a coach has always been to teach techniques that don't depend on athleticism much more than others if I have an explosive athlete I'll adjust for them but overall I follow this policy

This is like those "studies" you made up about freestyle being better than folkstyle.. why be vague. Why can't you tell us who the coach is? I'm not being sarcastic or mean, genuinely curious..

I know its not Burroughs coach Mark Manning. And if it's Chamizo's Italian coach that always has the asterisk that he's from Cuba and wasn't developed in Italy. I actually like studying and observing wrestling coaches with different philosophies and why... so please don't be vague

His name is Carlos Rodriguez (Cuba). His gym is in Genoa. It is the best freestyle wrestling center of Italy and a very beautiful location inside porto antico.

Last edited:
ufc100gspalves6.gif

Nobody really does the level change, they bend at the waist, run forward, grab the guys legs and muscle him down. That knee bent like 2 inches. lol

Be strong, be athletic, or don't do it.

His name is Carlos Rodriguez (Cuba). His gym is in Genoa. It is the best freestyle wrestling center of Italy and a very beautiful location inside porto antico.
Gotcha, I'll check him out, thanks for replying

Mongolian wrestlers aren't allowed to touch the ground with their knees at all so their double legs are done from kind of a low squat. Kind of like old school BJJ baina but from a deep squat instead of bent over.

Last edited:
To TC: A good drop step does not slam the mat. It glides. The potential for knee damage comes from getting sprawled on in an extended position, not touching the mat. I have awful knees and can do drop steps up and down the mat all day. I rarely do them live because of the threat of the sprawl. If you don't have any preexisting conditions though, you should be fine.
I'm not sure I understand.

You transfer your weight too the knee don't you? How do you glide when you're balancing on your knee? Or am I just missing some details?

Every video I've seen where a drop step is executed or taught:

Also, what if you're attempting a drop step in the street or some other extremely hard surface?

Also for the record, I'm not thinking about in Freestyle Wrestling competition, only MMA.

The questions has basically been answered already though.

Thanks for the responses guys! I appreciate them.

Back