Can you do a double leg without hitting your knee off the ground?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Crimson Glory, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Crimson Glory

Crimson Glory Go Pack Go!

Seems rather bad for the knees if you do this, I was wondering if you have to in order to do a proper double leg, or can you perform one without doing it?

2. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

oh no my poor knee is going to get hurt... not like you can get a kneepad or sleeve or perform a proper dropstep so you lose hair on your knee but your knee should be fine.. you're in a combat sport and if you're actually willing to put in the reps and deal with the boredom of fundamentals and building the leg dexiterity and strength your knees should be fine..

and no you don't have to drop to your knee to hit a good double, it just generally requires more athleticism, power and explosiveness to make work. World titles have been won without hitting the knee though, the best set-up if you aren't super fast/explosive/athletic is an arm drag "usually"

And btw, the more I've trained bjj and the more I helped bjj guys with their wrestling the more I believe a single leg is much better to learn first

Crimson Glory likes this.
  3. Unrest

Unrest White Belt

Technically I guess you could as long as you get low enough or you can just do the simple reach for the legs (WHICH WILL NEVER WORK ON ANY GOOD WRESTLER).
    I suggest you use a knee though it ensures you level change low enough.

4. fanboysareevil

fanboysareevil Green Belt

To TC: A good drop step does not slam the mat. It glides. The potential for knee damage comes from getting sprawled on in an extended position, not touching the mat. I have awful knees and can do drop steps up and down the mat all day. I rarely do them live because of the threat of the sprawl. If you don't have any preexisting conditions though, you should be fine.

Crimson Glory and mike sherry like this.
  5. Unrest

Unrest White Belt

^
    This guy right here. When you knee pound you aren't trying to knee through the mat, its a simple level change to get super low. What will fuck your knees up is getting returned to the mat, sprawled on.

6. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

For MMA, people are usually standing up pretty tall, so getting under them doesn't require the knee drop.

7. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

8. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

One of my faves.

9. Coconutwater

Coconutwater Brown Belt

I can't shoot a double without my leg at least grazing the floor/mat.

As someone said earlier, you're not supposed to let your knee drive into the floor when shooting, but my knee definitely grazes or lightly skips along the mat.

I wish I learned the MMA double which GSP does to perfection. It's perfect for the more upright stance but it feels so wrong to me after years of normal wresting.

10. BJJ Coffee Drinker

BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

what do you guys mean by this? I'm trying to picture this but I can't. I totally agree about gliding on the mat and not hitting it with impact

11. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Blast double.

I usually do the drop step though, it was the first takedown I was taught, and I'm more used to it.

12. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Yeah, you can. Especially in MMA. But you should learn the normal way first, I guarantee you your knees will be fine. Millions of people have shot doubles with their knees touching the ground for millennia and haven't had any problems. You'll be okay.

Crimson Glory likes this.
  13. thegreenblender

thegreenblender Brown Belt

It can't be done. Videos of it being done are illuminati disinformation. The truth is out there.

14. Unrest

Unrest White Belt

Just watch the video that was posted in an earlier comment. Knee pounding shouldn't hurt at all.

15. Unrest

Unrest White Belt

Even with a blast double he has to position his head correctly and get low enough. I suggest the normal way before learning more techniques.

16. freakroor

freakroor Brown Belt

ever seen a football tackle?

mike sherry likes this.
  17. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

After repeatedly hitting my knee on the ground while trying to shoot I feel as though I've been fucking it up significantly (i.e. does not seem necessary to CONTACT the ground).

18. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Okay.
    Damn, sometimes I forget this subforum is pure grappling. For some with this site, I'm always under the impression everything technique related on this is for MMA, unless otherwise stated.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  19. mike sherry

mike sherry Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I'm in favor of an mma technique forum. We never see enough gnp threads or grappling situated purely around mma in my opinion

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  20. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

I would be willing to bet it's because you were taught a "double" before a proper level change, drop step, back step and/or any of the other "skills" you need before the "techniques"

Broken arrow likes this.