Can you develop a killer instinct?

IMO "killer instinct" is perception. If you focus on what your opponent will do to you, you may not have the "killer instinct" but, if you focus on what you will do to your opponent, you probably have a "killer instinct".

Can it be developed? I believe it can be IF you learn to change your perception.

a lot of people give the same advice "think of something that makes you angry"
do the exact opposite, think of nothing

the japanese talk of something called mushin or "mind of no mind". you dont want to think your way through the fight, you want to feel it.

when you fight without fear anger or ego you will have no problem finishing a fight

When sparing i often feel this, ill lose "myself" and realize after a round that i was so focused in on watching there chest i didnt really think of doing anything i just did it.

You never want to be mad when your playing sports, i played a lot of sports with emotion, but often it doesnt let you make the right choice you just do the most agressive thing possible and sometimes it works, often it does not.

Killer instinct isn't about anger at all. Killer instinct, for me anyway, is something like "I hurt you, now I'm going to finish you". It's cold and calculating. Anger plays no part.

+ 1 million.

Killer instinct is going 100 percent even if the guy's hurt and pounding him until the coach tells you to stop. It's a drive to not ask yourself if the other guy's had enough or not

For some people it's linked with anger and others not. It always occurs to me how there's two types of top elite level fighters
- Angry beast (kid Yamamoto, Tyson)
- Cold, calculating badass. Dude like Kimura was probably one of these. I dunno much about martial theory from japan but so many top fighters, you don't see a shred of anger on their faces. Just utterly focused and in the zone

when chuck was blasting away on wand i remember one of the annoucers stating "he looks even more focused now".

At the time chucks eyes were huge and you could tell in the back of his head was thinking "ok i rocked you how can i finish this fight."

Chuck wasnt mad, just trying to finish the fight.

just an example of the cold collective killer instinct.

When sparing i often feel this, ill lose "myself" and realize after a round that i was so focused in on watching there chest i didnt really think of doing anything i just did it.

You never want to be mad when your playing sports, i played a lot of sports with emotion, but often it doesnt let you make the right choice you just do the most agressive thing possible and sometimes it works, often it does not.

That's what I was talking about, what you are describing is Mushin, the state of no mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin

also reffered to as "being in the zone"

it is REALLY hard to develop that! 99.99% of people that have it are born with it...

I have a similar problem. Quick story to illustrate what I'm talking about;

Last summer I was with some friends in Montreal (I'm from Buffalo, NY) and we were going up the stars of a strip club when this drunk, tattooed up ass was heading down. He bumped into my buddy who was the first in line and my buddy just stared at him. The guy told him that he would kill him and if my buddy did anything "it would be the last thing you do." As he started back down the stairs I decided I was going to fight this guy cuz I didn't like him talking shit to my friend. As he walked by me I shoulder bumped him like he did to my friend. He started his shit talking to me, so I hit him. That's when he started swinging for the fences.

As soon as he did, I just covered up. I remember being real calm and thinking that I should just wait till this gets broken up cuz not only do I not want to end up getting thrown down the stairs, but I didn't want him to either. I really didn't want to hurt this guy and end up getting arrested in a different country or find out he's got a knife or something and end up in the hospital. So I just kept my hands up till the bouncers grabbed him. I remember thinking "don't swing back cuz it will just make the situation worse"

Afterwards I was calm as could be. Like nothing happened. My friends were more worked up than I was. But, I was a bit mad at myself for not swinging back as I'm sure I could've taken this guy. It just wasn't in me to want to hurt him or get hurt myself. To me at the moment the fight started, I just was thinking "man, I hope someone grabs this guy soon cuz I don't want to have to fight him."

Since then its been pissing me off. I train to fight. I know how to fight, so why did a let some dude take unanswered swings at me? Why did I hit him once if I wasn't planning on continuing? Why didn't I care about it at the time? I seriously felt no emotion or anger toward this guy who was trying to take my head off. I just wanted to hit him once for talking shit and move on. I didn't really want to hurt him or get hurt myself. F'n weird and has made me question whether or not I lack the killer instinct and whether or not I can train that.

lol.

Nature endowed us with the 'fight or flight' response. Which does either of two things..

It enables us to flee with the speed of a twacked out meth user running from the cops, or bestows upon us the unnatural ability to fight with the ferocity and tenacity of a rabid crackhead squabbling for rock.

And who has more killer instinct than a crackhead fighting for some rock?

My point being, You DO have that instinct residing dormantly somewhere in you. Some people go through life and are hardly ever put in situations that induces this extreme response.

But fighting is a strange creature. Its both unnatural and instinctual at the same time. That means your body and mind are both yelling at you to fight at run away at the same time. But as a fighter i guess you need to learn how to distinguish and seperate the two voices. So that when you need to go for the kill you can do it without hesitation, or when you need to exit yourself from the fray you can do that without a second thought either.

So to answer your question. Its killer instinct is both inborn and learned. So dont worry about it too much, you've got the instinct in ya killer.

I said nothing about getting angry or fighting angry, thats when you make mistakes and forget defence. I said find your anger and learn to channel, focus and draw from it. I can turn mine on and off like a switch, strike to strike.

Since then its been pissing me off. I train to fight. I know how to fight, so why did a let some dude take unanswered swings at me? Why did I hit him once if I wasn't planning on continuing? Why didn't I care about it at the time? I seriously felt no emotion or anger toward this guy who was trying to take my head off. I just wanted to hit him once for talking shit and move on. I didn't really want to hurt him or get hurt myself. F'n weird and has made me question whether or not I lack the killer instinct and whether or not I can train that.

respect man. I can see why it would piss you off but it shouldnt. This is why.

I mean even though you hit the guy once (even more respect cause you did it for your friend and not for your own ego). That feeling of calm and restraint you spoke of before, during and after the confrontation says it all. The fact you didnt snap (bulgy eyes, red face, flared nostrils, heavy breathing, belligerently CMON ILL FUCK YOUR BITCHASS UP!) on the guy, these situations show how mature you are as a fighter. You've learned to control the adrenal dump, the fight or flight instinct i've mentioned in my above post that an average joe would be overwhelmed by. A key word also, you didnt feel ANGRY towards him and anger is a strong emotion to blanket and smother.

Fists are flying at your face and all the while you're calmly thinking to yourself "man whens this bitch going to gas so i can just go home" I woulda bought you a beer if i saw that kinda poise.

Now dont take this in a self righteous light, I love a good fist fight more than anyone, I miss the feeling of sucker punching a loudmouth, and i'll snap in less than a blink for my friends.

But something is even more empowering just knowing that the asshole huffing and puffing and trying to pick a fight with you is probablly feeling like a little boy, trying to stomach the pre-controntation adrenal butterflies, While you've been there and done that.

At times like that i just want to say to the guy "wait lol you want to fight me? Shit son, you dont know even know the meaning of the word."

Pshh...rookies.

You gotta eat raw meat and think violent thoughts while you spar.....

Imagine your opponent as the person or people who made you the angriest in your life.

When you're fwapping you think sexual thoughts to arouse yourself right? The same applies to killer instinct. It's all psychological. Embrace your inner anger and learn to control it. Alot of fighters snap during fights because they go into a berserker rage. That's why you see them resisting the Ref after he's called a stoppage.

I've been training MT for a while now - only a couple of times a week, but for more than two years. Yet I'm still a punching bag, whether it's while sparring, doing live rounds with pad feeders, whatever. My technique's there. I've got enough conditioning to get through. But I can't seem to take the fight to whoever's across from me.

Is it possible to "learn" a killer instinct, or is it something you're born with?

I am the same way. I didn't like football, because I really didn't like crashing into a guy head on over and over. I was better at wrestling. But still, I struggled to develop the KI you are talking about here. And it goes beyond just fighting, it also goes to hitting on women, not getting taken advantage of by other men, etc. KI is way more than just the ability to get angry. IMO, it is the ability to discard any empathy for someone who you determine is an "opponent." I am just naturally more passive and accepting of what happens to me.

But for those saying Killer Instinct is inborn, I disagree. While some may have it naturally, almost anyone can be reshaped into a "killer." The Marine Corp is a perfect example. They have a 6 percent dropout rate, and rarely is it for the inability to develop the neccessary KI. The marine corp churns out ten of thousands of fresh killers every year, and it only takes them thirteen weeks.

ahhaha killer instinct has nothing to do with anger. its about being savage... just not giving a damn about your opponent.... thats half of it. the other half is actually pulling it off.

killer instinct is like being a killer- u can kill by accident or get out of control and do it; but a real killer is gonna kill at the drop of a hat, w/out regard for the situation.

same thing w/afighter and/or athlete, some guys can't do it less they are pressed to finish; they are put in life or death fight or life or death situation.

guys w/killer instinct seek to get rid of you wether your a threat or not; i.e. micheal jordan, kobe bryant, allen iverson trying to destroy anyone who guards them and drop as many points as possible to break the spirit of any team they face.

shaquille o'neal-pau gasol-vince carte-great players; but not known for destroying guys or finishing, can they yes...do they no.

i think you have it or not, if you have to be put into a position to do so; then your not really a killer.

Real killers kills regardless of the situation; tyson was a killer, tried to destroy every guy. Roy jones wasn't; when pressed he would flash it, i.e. the rj persona. But in and off himself he never sought to finish or destroy opp

I have a similar problem. Quick story to illustrate what I'm talking about;

Last summer I was with some friends in Montreal (I'm from Buffalo, NY) and we were going up the stars of a strip club when this drunk, tattooed up ass was heading down. He bumped into my buddy who was the first in line and my buddy just stared at him. The guy told him that he would kill him and if my buddy did anything "it would be the last thing you do." As he started back down the stairs I decided I was going to fight this guy cuz I didn't like him talking shit to my friend. As he walked by me I shoulder bumped him like he did to my friend. He started his shit talking to me, so I hit him. That's when he started swinging for the fences.

As soon as he did, I just covered up. I remember being real calm and thinking that I should just wait till this gets broken up cuz not only do I not want to end up getting thrown down the stairs, but I didn't want him to either. I really didn't want to hurt this guy and end up getting arrested in a different country or find out he's got a knife or something and end up in the hospital. So I just kept my hands up till the bouncers grabbed him. I remember thinking "don't swing back cuz it will just make the situation worse"

Afterwards I was calm as could be. Like nothing happened. My friends were more worked up than I was. But, I was a bit mad at myself for not swinging back as I'm sure I could've taken this guy. It just wasn't in me to want to hurt him or get hurt myself. To me at the moment the fight started, I just was thinking "man, I hope someone grabs this guy soon cuz I don't want to have to fight him."

You have problems. First, you shouldn't be shoulder bumping anyone. If you train to fight you train to avoid fighting. You suck for doing that.

Second, if you ARE going to shoulder bump someone, the headbutt should follow then repeated kicks to the head of what is now your downed opponent. The only reason to start a fight is so you can end it.

Third, you shouldn't be shoulder bumping people. I think I said that already, but you shouldn't be starting fights. The difference between you and that guy is that when he talked shit he backed it up, you puffed up your ego with your gym time then cowered away from a fight you never should have started in the first place.

Fourth, before you go developing your "killer instinct" develop your discipline and stop thinking it's cool to street fight.

killer instinct is like being a killer- u can kill by accident or get out of control and do it; but a real killer is gonna kill at the drop of a hat, w/out regard for the situation.

same thing w/afighter and/or athlete, some guys can't do it less they are pressed to finish; they are put in life or death fight or life or death situation.

guys w/killer instinct seek to get rid of you wether your a threat or not
; i.e. micheal jordan, kobe bryant, allen iverson trying to destroy anyone who guards them and drop as many points as possible to break the spirit of any team they face.

shaquille o'neal-pau gasol-vince carte-great players; but not known for destroying guys or finishing, can they yes...do they no.

i think you have it or not, if you have to be put into a position to do so; then your not really a killer.

Real killers kills regardless of the situation; tyson was a killer, tried to destroy every guy. Roy jones wasn't; when pressed he would flash it, i.e. the rj persona. But in and off himself he never sought to finish or destroy opp

thats right.... has nothing to do with anger. you just gotta be a savage thats not afraid to make moves.

You have problems. First, you shouldn't be shoulder bumping anyone. If you train to fight you train to avoid fighting. You suck for doing that.

Second, if you ARE going to shoulder bump someone, the headbutt should follow then repeated kicks to the head of what is now your downed opponent. The only reason to start a fight is so you can end it.

Third, you shouldn't be shoulder bumping people. I think I said that already, but you shouldn't be starting fights. The difference between you and that guy is that when he talked shit he backed it up, you puffed up your ego with your gym time then cowered away from a fight you never should have started in the first place.

Fourth, before you go developing your "killer instinct" develop your discipline and stop thinking it's cool to street fight.

Ya I agree with that too, but I dont think it has to be too the point of being attacked with a knife, mobbed, or basically the other kid throwing the first punch or something...ive seen alot of kids who take this as the rule and then seek to prove themselves with streefighting under that ruleset..they simply run around acting like douchebags and forcing people to stand up and fight them or be humiliated.

I like to think of myself as a really nice guy but this one time a stranger and his buddies insulted me. I was fine with that, not enough to start a fight over. Basically they mocked me for not drinking beer on the night as they started to crack open some drinks (i wasnt in the mood to drink taht was all). They were like 22 and I was 18, there was 5 of them..and i was just with my family. They then proceded to mock my dad calling him an old fuck when he defended me, this set me off since its family, when my mom said he was being rude he called her a fucking bitch. No lies I swear too god..this is probably the biggest douchebag I have ever come across.

He had just cracked open his first beer of the night. I snapped and went for him but was held back by the fam..alittle bit later on in the night he was in the clear, he then targeted my dad again calling him an old fuck infront of everyone..i thought my dad might react so I knew that I couldent let that happen since he could get hurt..also I was really angry, I kinda went snakey and by the time I got to him I calmed down completely and was just smiling and focused and he threw a shot and I dropped him.

Fighting outside of the ring imo shouldent be about your pride, it should be about defending people who cant defend themselves..whether they are being picked on with words or fists it doesnt matter. Especially family. the only other fights i had been in up untill this point were when I was 5 and 7. At 5 I was too young too really have any philosophy on anything and I chased down and beat this kid running from me at my fence gate after he had stole my toy. At 7 I understood better and a giant older kid punched my little brother in the face when i was around the corner at some place and when I was informed i proceeded to duke it out with him little kid style lol.

Any time I was just sticking up for myself nothing ever happened, I always used words. But family is the exception imo and no matter what i thought really I could never help it anyways I simply go into kill mode when someone fucks with my family and ALWAYS will. :mad: lol
(I was fucking angry as hell before defending my brother and later in life my entire fam but after training and second time around I didnt fight angry I was super calm.

As for the guy your scolding, he was just standing up for his friend, a noble cause. By his reaction it seems he knows pretty well that fighting needs alittle more justification than this. He was bluffing when he bumped the guy and didnt expect a reaction. Doesnt make him a bad guy or evil.

Also when you think of all the best fighters or just all fighters in general..they scrapped a ton on the streets at the drop of a dime most of them...I mean GSP the best guy of all fought ALL the time. It is pretty ridiculous to ask someone to not use some of the skills they work so hard for if a douche bag comes along and is super obnoxious. People who are trained who run around being obnoxious to start fights and prove themselves..they are the scum.

Ok now for the actual threadstarter, you simply might be like me. In sparring I am weary to hurt someone as no one wants to hurt someone in sparring, when I was in these situations I had no problem finishing trust me (when it was done it was done though not saying i hit the guy out cold but when he was finished I walked away), now if your planning on competeing I have no experience there but I assume u are less angry but want it even more since you have trained so hard, therefore you will want it badly. Maybe you are born either born with a killer instinct or not I dunno if thats true but if you dont have killer instinct it sparring I believe it means NOTHING, infact it could be a good thing, maybe you are confident enough to not have to wail on your sparring partner to build yourself up. Trust me I am kinda at the same spot as you only ive been pushed into a situation that showed me I had killer instinct and you havent. If I hadnt have had that wacky experience I would probably think the same thing as you perhaps..when I step into a ring I think it will be the same. Chin up man your fine lol! and your probably quite skilled after a couple years training!

i'm 30 years old and have been fighting in some form of discipline for awhile now.

and for me the answer is 'no'. i do not possess what it takes to become a professional, successful fighter. i may have the skill and ability and the tools required but to take it to that level is something i've never been able to do.

Back