Can we finally get RDA vs Woodley?

Many seem to have the feeling that RDA is on a resurgence and Woodley is on the downfall.
But don't forget: this is RDA's first real big win since 2015. And Woodley's first loss since 2015.
So during the past few years Woodley has still been doing better than RDA.

RDA wins when he can out-pressure and out-wrestle guys - which I don't think he'll be able to do with Woodley.
Rda can beat this old, rusty , worn out version of Woodley.
No, please don't start with "Prime Woodley".
Does everything have to be about age?

Woodley became champ just 3 years ago and dominated Till about 6 months ago.
Do we really have to argue he went from prime to ancient during that time span?

After all, Woodley in his 30s still lost to Shields and Rory. So to me, him losing to Usman, cannot only be attributed to age deterioration.

Last edited:
No, please don't start with "Prime Woodley".
Woodley became champ just 3 years ago and dominated Till about 6 months ago.
Do we really have to argue he went from prime to ancient during that time span?

After all, Woodley in his 30s still lost to Shields and Rory. So to me, him losing to Usman, cannot only be attributed to age deterioration.

3 years is a lot of time lmao. McGregor was a totally different guy 3 years ago.

Not ONLY ... you are right. Age was just one of the many factors. Usman just proved to be a nightmare matchup and made Woodley look terrible. It was a brilliant performance and i am not trying to diminish Usman’s achievement. However you cant deny the fact that mileage , age and injuries will take a toll on you. Its inevitable. Also when a fighter is on a roll they carry this aura of invincibility and their momentum is high, your odds to beat said fighter are much higher if he/she is coming off a loss.

Lawler, Chuck, Fedor and Barao were all champs with a crazy win streak but once they lost many other Ls followed. They never got to get on a long streak again. Mma is a brutal , unforgiving sport. 37 years of age is not a good number to be an mma pro.

Last edited:
I mean RDA literally got knocked out in the first round with Alvarez, which was entirely a boxing match. The fight with Ferguson had a little bit of everything but Tony isn't much of a offensive wrestler, and he out worked him.

RDA seems to be most successful when he can out wrestle and out pressure guys. He isn't going to out wrestle Tyron and he seems to have trouble when he doesn't have an advantage with physicality.

RDA wins this fight if Tyron is legit past it and he's done being the Woodley we know.

This is a fun fight and honestly the Lawler fight didn't make all that much sense in the division.

I'd argue that, even a prime Woodley, would tire after three rounds with RDA and then woodley's wrestling and physical advantage wouldn't be as prevalent. Woodley isn't a grinding type of wrestler liek colby or Usman, either, so he wouldn't really be able to implement the cage fuck, constant mat return game plan that those guys implemented. He'd take RDA down and try to control RDA from the top, which practically nobody can do. He'd get tired very quickly and lose his physical advantages in my opinion, regardless if it's old tyron or young tyron.

Makes sense so it probably won't happen

I been calling for this fight since RDA moved up. Should be a good stylistic advantage for RDA. The guys who beat RDA are high output grinders, which Woodley is not. The guys who beat Woodley are pressure fighters with attributes similar to RDA.

Still wanna see the Woodley vs Lawler rematch first however.

RDA totally beats Woodley if he can defend the right hand. I like this fight for him to prove a point.

That fight should definitely be made. I was bummed that it never occurred when RDA was surging and Woodley was the champ but now the timing is right. I'd favor RDA as it seems to me that he's turned a corner in his wrestling acumen. I recall the fight against Colby and how in the later rounds he started having success in being offensive in his wrestling instead of merely working his TDD. By then it was too late into the fight and Colby was up 4 rounds. Like other posters stated, Woodley has fallen im love with his right hand and has been relying on his wrestling less so a la Liddell. I'm thinking with all the muscle he carries he'll be drained by RDA's relentless pressure much like how Usman did but with a possible sub sinching the fight due to RDA's bjj.

I mean RDA literally got knocked out in the first round with Alvarez, which was entirely a boxing match. The fight with Ferguson had a little bit of everything but Tony isn't much of a offensive wrestler, and he out worked him.

Well considering he passed out and from all accounts almost died making weight for the Alverez fight it's a miracle that he even got to the cage and did not get flat out ko'd - he was stopped and hurt but never really went down despite taking a lot of shots.

The tony fight - he ran his own camp and had the same issues with weight. Throw in one of tony's "accidental" fouls (that always seem to happen) and it's clear that both alverez and tony did not fight the same Rafa that tore through benson, cowboy, nate, and pettis.

I'd argue that, even a prime Woodley, would tire after three rounds with RDA and then woodley's wrestling and physical advantage wouldn't be as prevalent. Woodley isn't a grinding type of wrestler liek colby or Usman, either, so he wouldn't really be able to implement the cage fuck, constant mat return game plan that those guys implemented. He'd take RDA down and try to control RDA from the top, which practically nobody can do. He'd get tired very quickly and lose his physical advantages in my opinion, regardless if it's old tyron or young tyron.

He is most certainly stronger and more physical then RDA and he has that fast twitch explosion. If you think of how RDA got knocked out spectacularly by Alvarez, I would expect some similar action from Woodley.

Tyron quickly dropped Robbie, Till, DHK, Koscheck in the first round... he can explode and close the show. RDA is a grinder who generally wins by out working his opponents, he can hurt you but he doesn't have that type of power especially at welterweight.

Usman handled RDA like he was fighting his little cousin. It was a shut out and RDA wasn't physically or technically on the level to contend with Usman. I don't expect he can matchup with Tryon like Usman did, since we have a good comparison how they stacked up.

I like this fight, I think it makes sense, and RDA can absolutely win it if Woodley is on his way out.

Well considering he passed out and from all accounts almost died making weight for the Alverez fight it's a miracle that he even got to the cage and did not get flat out ko'd - he was stopped and hurt but never really went down despite taking a lot of shots.

So far, "all accounts" has been RDA saying this happened. All respect to RDA and the people who care about defending him, I don't see it reasonable to take this away from Alvarez.

That wasn't a flash KO, it was a 30-45 second extended beating and TKO, which shouldn't recommend it was a weight cut problem.

The tony fight - he ran his own camp and had the same issues with weight. Throw in one of tony's "accidental" fouls (that always seem to happen) and it's clear that both alverez and tony did not fight the same Rafa that tore through benson, cowboy, nate, and pettis.

We're getting dangerously close to 'explaining away' a fighters losses here.

You don't want to play that game.

This is insane. Before Woodley lost to Usman, NOBODY would pick Anjos to beat Woodley. Sherdog is so fickle

He is most certainly stronger and more physical then RDA and he has that fast twitch explosion. If you think of how RDA got knocked out spectacularly by Alvarez, I would expect some similar action from Woodley.

Tyron quickly dropped Robbie, Till, DHK, Koscheck in the first round... he can explode and close the show. RDA is a grinder who generally wins by out working his opponents, he can hurt you but he doesn't have that type of power especially at welterweight.

Usman handled RDA like he was fighting his little cousin. It was a shut out and RDA wasn't physically or technically on the level to contend with Usman. I don't expect he can matchup with Tryon like Usman did, since we have a good comparison how they stacked up.

I like this fight, I think it makes sense, and RDA can absolutely win it if Woodley is on his way out.

I agree with all that you said, but I think that's only one possibility--and the best one for Woodley. I think it could just as likely end up with woodley being tentative against the fence, looking for the big right hand but not finding it, initiating some grappling but tiring himself out in the process, all the while RDA would be trippling Woodley's output, scoring points, and not slowing down nearly as much as Woodley.

Book it.
RDA is clearly the one with a better arsenal, as woodley has one striking move (right overhand) that you can avoid if you are not bad.
Woodley is one of the biggest examples of a very limited fighter that became champ. Lost the belt ofc, he cant hold it and wont touch it again, Unless he is luckier than conor.

No. Just no. Can we fucking stop booking RDA against boring wrestlers?

Should be an interesting fight. I love RDA but I feel like he's either lost a step or just is too small to have the same dominant and bullyish style he had at LW. I have Woodley easily taking this one and probably stopping him.

RDA would get knocked the fuck out.

I mean, if Woodley actually threw a punch or two.

Woodley pulled out of his rematch with lawler, which was a dumb rematch in the first place. I assume he won't be out for too long. RDA just fought so he probably needs a little break. I think the timing is right for this match.

I've wanted RDA vs Woodley ever since RDA moved to WW

Former LW champ vs. former WW champ.

Do you think we'll see this fight?
I don’t think we will see it.

100% want guys to fight. Fighters that don’t fight make the sport boring.

Back