Can We Clear Up Definition Of Superfight Please?

Ridian

Lifelong Combat Sports Fan
@purple
Reaction score
It DOES NOT mean simply two champs from diff weight classes fighting one another.

It should only be reserved for two DOMINANT, LONG REIGNING, SUPERSTAR, FAN FAVORITE champs fighting one another or something close to that

*or a fight involving Conor at a class other than 145

They're so rare in MMA, what difference would it make?

The closest thing to a superfight we've had in the UFC is Penn vs. Hughes.

It probably qualified even under your strict definition, but what else would?

They're supposed to be rare.

no it wouldn't Penn wasn't even a UFC champion certainly not a dominant fan favorite superstar... not to mention a massive underdog

GSP/Penn 2 that's it

The definition of a superfight is that it's a fight we were all clamoring to see years ago but never happened until one or both fighters completely lost their luster.

I agree completely and the UFC doesn't do "superfights" for anyone except established champions. Obviously they just do whatever Conor wants but even if he fought RDA it wouldn't have been anything super, dude hasn't even defended his title once. Now DJ v Cruz would be super spectacular and even though Cruz hasn't defended too many times, as long as it's for Cruz's belt it's a super fight to me.

The closest thing to a superfight we've had in the UFC is Penn vs. Hughes
This was a legit superfight...

Ufc_94_poster.jpg

They're supposed to be rare.
Yeah, I know that. But they're so rare that they're almost nonexistent. For that reason, having an even stricter definition makes no sense.

In other words, the loose definition and the strict definition covers the exact same number of cases....

So changing the definition wouldn't change which fight(s) we are talking about.

It DOES NOT mean simply two champs from diff weight classes fighting one another.

It should only be reserved for two DOMINANT, LONG REIGNING, SUPERSTAR, FAN FAVORITE champs fighting one another or something close to that
How often does this happen where champion vs champion is not a superfight?

Wouldn't it also work for any match between two overwhelming popular fighters? I'm not talking about two fights that just hardcore fans like, but two fighters who everybody, even casuals, know and like.

Wanderlei vs Lidell
Silva vs Diaz
Bisping vs Henderson

For me it's just seeing two proven top level warriors go for it. It's a fight that raises interest to a high level and does not need a title involved. I guess it's best if happens when they are at the top of their game but that's not often. Maybe a fight that wouldn't normally occur?

I agree that Penn-GSP 2 was a superfight, and I think any champ vs champ bout should be viewed as a superfight, regardless of number of title defenses from either fighter. I actually prefer there to be as few defenses as possible, because the more title defenses a fighter has, the least likely he is to challenge/accept a challenge from a champ from a different weight class.

This was a legit superfight...

Ufc_94_poster.jpg

That was even a weak superfight. GSP fought Penn less than 3 years between that fight and Penn had 1 title defense at LW. The reason why it was so intriguing was of what Penn did to GSP in the first fight.

Really a true superfight in MMA would have been GSP vs Silva or Jones vs Silva.

Yeah, I know that. But they're so rare that they're almost nonexistent. For that reason, having an even stricter definition makes no sense.

In other words, the loose definition and the strict definition covers the exact same number of cases....

So changing the definition wouldn't change which fight(s) we are talking about.

Regardless of whether you liked the fight, Penn vs GSP meets the definition. And, there were several of those.

Back