Can we all agree that Urijah Faber is "the guy" that put the smaller weight classes on the map

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I would say so. I just feel that "The California Kid" hasn't been given much respect these days with everything going on with his team alpha male and how he "always come up short" in the big title fights. Nonetheless, let's not forget how this guy made people wanna watch the lower weight classes, especially in the WEC and really is the founder and the guy who paved the way for smaller weight classes. I'll always have respect for this guy for what he's done as a fighter and how he brought smaller weight classes to the big show.

Your thoughts? How would you remember him?

That huge pop, we never see this anymore in the UFC

Last edited:
For sure.

He was HIGHLY influential in putting the little guys on the map.

Last edited:
so he basically ruined MMA.

0 / 10

YcaMiNXNTeaKL5qOcROh_Kid%20No%20Leg%20Slide.gif

He was like a mini Tito.

Both legends of the sport too.

Faber Cruz & Aldo.

We're discussing Faber, not Conor McGregor.

MMA would actually be "dying" like sherdog always says if Conor wasn't around.

Ronda Lesnar Jones all left.
Conor carried the company while they were gone.

Keep hating.

Faber's brutalized leg showed that tiny men can also tenderize meat.

Faber Cruz & Aldo.

Keep hating.

Conor carried nothing. I'll give you a history lesson. Tito Ortiz saved this sport and carried mma during the dark ages of the sport when no one gave a shit about it. If it wasnt for him, mma wouldn't be around today.

By the time conor came around, mma was already mainstream. The only thing conor has done is water it down, give it a wwe feel, and introduce a handful of douchebag casual fans.

Educate yourself.

Faber Cruz & Aldo.

Keep hating.
By going to boxing to get embarrassed for a payday?

he's the guy that made me follow MMA tbh

His best win to date is over Cruz and he had a nice showing vs Pulver

Personally I've never been a big fan of his leading all the way back to his WEC days. Most people will remember him as the guy who was kicked to death by Jose Aldo.

If you are giving credit to Faber, then you gotta give credit to Cruz and Aldo too.

When I think back to around that time frame; when I hear the words small weight classes I think about BJ Penn, Pulver, Gomi, Diaz. Basically Penn vs Gomi and Diaz vs Gomi were considered legendary fights during that era. It was posted on Sherdog like no tomorrow.

Faber Cruz & Aldo.

Keep hating.
He didn't carry the company while they were gone.

He elevated it on levels never seen before.

Also, I don't think Jones should be mentioned in that group. He was never on that level.

Actually it's just Conor and Ronda. Brock also barely makes it cause he's unknown worldwide.

Back