Can we all agree that Urijah Faber is "the guy" that put the smaller weight classes on the map

If you set the fame aside, I wonder how good he could have done with the ladies. Extreme shortness is such a turnoff for them in general, but with the physique, chin dimple, charisma, and all that, I bet he would have done quite well.

Faber Cruz & Aldo.

MMA would actually be "dying" like sherdog always says if Conor wasn't around.

Ronda Lesnar Jones all left.
Conor carried the company while they were gone.

Keep hating.

If you ever had the chance to watch WEC, Faber was really the 1st real star of that brand. Cruz and Aldo were still up and comers back then. Faber was really the guy that was a fan favorite and made people wanna watch fights in his division.

MMA hasn't been in any point of dying, for it actually spread more promotions in Asia, and other countries. If we're talking about UFC, it was the reebok deal that fucked them up and made fighters leave for other promotions coz of the sponsorship money.

Guy had a million title shots, and couldn't close the deal. Feel bad for the dude.

He didn't carry the company while they were gone.

He elevated it on levels never seen before.

Also, I don't think Jones should be mentioned in that group. He was never on that level.

Actually it's just Conor and Ronda. Brock also barely makes it cause he's unknown worldwide.
Umm brock is pretty known worldwide lmao.

A few of my favorite Faber moments
2hxor3d.jpg

34ik220.jpg

I remember that there were some horrendous eye pokes in some of his last fights. I don't know how people overlook that. It was pretty bad shit.

A few of my favorite Faber moments
2hxor3d.jpg

34ik220.jpg
That fucking hook is so money, still dont know wtf he was doing with that stupid windup LMAO like he thought that elbow was gonna be some sneaky shit

Seems like no watched many of of his fights. He was a gamer with a great chin. The fights with Brown were great stuff. He smoked Cruz and lost to Cruz. Barao was too much. But creating Team Alpha Male is his greatest contribution. Anyone who disputes the point of this thread, that he is directly responsible for the growth and popularity of the lighter weight classes is a moron.

Ehh.. He was part of it for sure.

That fucking hook is so money, still dont know wtf he was doing with that stupid windup LMAO like he thought that elbow was gonna be some sneaky shit

Very true.. But it was about 2-3 inches away from being one of the best KOs in mma history. Instead it was one of the best KOs in mma history.

Absolutely. I knew of people who didn't know shit about mma who knew who Faber was.

I would say so. I just feel that "The California Kid" hasn't been given much respect these days with everything going on with his team alpha male and how he "always come up short" in the big title fights. Nonetheless, let's not forget how this guy made people wanna watch the lower weight classes, especially in the WEC and really is the founder and the guy who paved the way for smaller weight classes. I'll always have respect for this guy for what he's done as a fighter and how he brought smaller weight classes to the big show.

Your thoughts? How would you remember him?

That huge pop, we never see this anymore in the UFC

We agreed on this 15 years ago. Welcome to yesterday friend.

Seems like no watched many of of his fights. He was a gamer with a great chin. The fights with Brown were great stuff. He smoked Cruz and lost to Cruz. Barao was too much. But creating Team Alpha Male is his greatest contribution. Anyone who disputes the point of this thread, that he is directly responsible for the growth and popularity of the lighter weight classes is a moron.
The Matt Brown fights were the beginning of the end of his style. He completely changed how he fought after that.

Anyone that hasn't watched every Faber fight before Brown, don't really understand that Faber was the white Anderson Silva before Silva. Those fights completely changed him.

Dude defended the World Title 5 times. Tons of good champions in weaker divisions than the beast-rich environs of FW haven't been able to get to 5.

Noobs don't realize he was a killer in his prime.

Conor carried nothing. I'll give you a history lesson. Tito Ortiz saved this sport and carried mma during the dark ages of the sport when no one gave a shit about it. If it wasnt for him, mma wouldn't be around today.

By the time conor came around, mma was already mainstream. The only thing conor has done is water it down, give it a wwe feel, and introduce a handful of douchebag casual fans.

Educate yourself.
Tito Ortiz did more than just carry the UFC through the dark ages. He laid the blueprint on how to sell MMA to an American audience. Shit talking, rivalries and stirring up controversy is what basically everyone tries to do nowadays, but Tito was the first one to put it all together into a winning formula.

I never liked Tito, and I don't like the fact that the UFC is pushing his formula now more than ever, but there's no denying that he is one of the most influential fighters of all time. I mean, 205 is literaly Titoweight ffs. He doesn't get enough appreciation for his role in MMA history.

Tito Ortiz did more than just carry the UFC through the dark ages. He laid the blueprint on how to sell MMA to an American audience. Shit talking, rivalries and stirring up controversy is what basically everyone tries to do nowadays, but Tito was the first one to put it all together into a winning formula.

I never liked Tito, and I don't like the fact that the UFC is pushing his formula now more than ever, but there's no denying that he is one of the most influential fighters of all time. I mean, 205 is literaly Titoweight ffs. He doesn't get enough appreciation for his role in MMA history.
THis thread is about Faber, Dicktaste.

When I think back to around that time frame; when I hear the words small weight classes I think about BJ Penn, Pulver, Gomi, Diaz. Basically Penn vs Gomi and Diaz vs Gomi were considered legendary fights during that era. It was posted on Sherdog like no tomorrow.

Yep but imo Gomi-Diaz was nowhere as big back then as many asian duels earlier like Kid Yamamoto vs. Genki Sudo, Gomi vs. Kawajiri or many Hayato Sakurai matches. Joachim Hellboy Hansen was annother wrecking machine + Imanari the leglockmaster....etc Ishida, Caol Uno, Kitaoka, Marcus Aurelio, Eddie Alvarez, Aoki. The top dogs besides Penn really fought in Japan and it often were crazy high level up fights.

People dont realize how high level this period of MMA really was. Put these guys in their prime into UFC nowadays and they would wreak havoc.

I always liked the smaller weight classes but never really thought that big of Faber. He obviously was high level but imo nothing that special as many make it out nowadays. Much worse stand up than most top dogs back then but very dangerous on the ground and athletic.

Last edited:
Kid yamatao in k1 and the bushido guys in pride did it

Back