Can use any help.

Canadian MayheM

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I'm 17 years of age and currently around 5"9 and roughly 210 Pounds. I am really out of shape but I am gonna be playing alot of sports soon and I was looking for alot of Speed and Strength so my question is: How can I start off? I don't want to be doing to much to soon and how much more should I do when I ease in? Any advice would be helpful thanks in advance.

Dude, almost 2 years ago I was in about the same situation you're in. I spent a few weeks doing bodyweight exercises before I did any lifting. Just simple stuff -- push ups, sit ups, deep knee bends, etc.
I also did easy cardio like walking up a couple flights of stairs here and there, walking down the street, etc.

Initially I didn't set any goals other than "do something" but after I got over the soreness and started getting more proficient I'd set goals like "today I'm gonna do 2 sets of 20 push ups" or whatever.

So after a few weeks of that I was ready to take the next step and hit the gym, where I got started with weight training. Did I have to do all the BW stuff first? No, probably not. But I think it was a good confidence-builder. I did most of the stuff at home, whenever I felt like it, and I didn't have to worry about looking foolish in front of a bunch of strangers.

Anyway, good luck. Start a training log. And do read the FAQ -- lotta good info there.

Read the FAQ and buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. His routine or one of those listed in the FAQ would be a great place to start.

lmao i'm the same as flak. used to be like 6'0 190lbs so out of shape 2-3 years ago. started with like 20 crunches/pushups per day and kept going and going to like 400/200 per day w/ running, then took up martial arts, then to weights @ home, and now i'm doing rippetoe SS haha.

THIS+IS+THE+COOLEST+PICTURE+EVER.JPG

double post so... Here are some ants!

Its amazing how pics like that get circulated on the internet but I'm really interested in knowing WTF happened there?

7 plauges of Ireland?

van hit the back of a truck loaded with potatoes and the doors burst, spilling the taters

van hit the back of a truck loaded with potatoes and the doors burst, spilling the taters

No Way!

Seriously though, I grew up on a farm (mixed farm a fair amount of everything raised on it) and I'm just amazed at how the potatoes scattered everywhere. also the front of the van, it looks like the potatoes fell from 90 degrees above it to the hood, like there was a high speed colision with a... silo full of potatoes...

Lol interesting how this thread progressed lol, I started my trainning today and I will prob start a log soon, Thanks for the help guys.

Back