Can someone please explain why...

They weren't squared up. Masvidal literally approached with his hands behind his back. They were also in public surrounded by the press, not a place you would expect a fight to break out. Also I don't think it was common knowledge Masvidal sucker punched people back then.
Masvidals hands were not behind his back the entire time. Leon was talking shit to Mas during his interview. Mas got up said “Say that to my face” as he was walking towards him. If Leon wasn’t ready to fight, then that’s on him. He should’ve kept his mouth shut. Why is it the reporter’s knew what Mas was about to do but not Leon?

See, I think verbal altercations can start fights. Leon started the altercation and Mas obliged him.

depends on who people like

Jon Jones tackles a robber or stops grafitti --- "oh he's clearly doing it to get fans"

If Max Holloway does the same thing -- "oh my god angels do walk on earth !"

Can you think of any differences between their personalities that might lead fans to suspect one might have morally ambiguous motivations? Or do you stop assessing things at the most primitive level?

the world was a different place back then. i don’t think it had anything to do with him being armenian. respectfully, karo has a rather unlikable demeanor. his “do you know who i am” moment made him seem like an everyday narcissistic prick, not so much a cartoon villain (e.g., like conor or masvidal). back in the 2000’s, people were more put off by things like that. these days, karo might fare a little better, but they’d probably still dislike him.

I hear you but the world was kind of crazy back in the 2000s. People could say homophobic phrases and mainstream pop culture was Eminem and 50 cent talking about murder and drive by shooting and acting like thugs. I was a teen in early 2000s and kids were in to gang culture and starting fights despite living in great neighborhoods. Teens today are glued to their phones or absent minded.

I feel like back then, people would tolerate asshole behavior more but Karo caught some serious heat (no pun intended) for it while Conor and Masdival were celebrated. That and the TUF incident was Karo's first and only offense in terms of acting badly but man, the fans did not FORGIVE him at all and it seemed to linger with him until he faded in to obscurity.

Also this was pre-social media, you never really saw Karo behave in public eye and so I felt it was extremely unfair how he was perceived because of a single incident.

Masdival became popular for sucker punching Edward's but Karo became the most hated person overnight with his " do you know who I am bro!?" Tuf situation.

I legitimately do not understand how fans perception of fighters work. Most people are fed up with conor but he got away with lot of shit before finally getting called out for it.

Does nationality/culture play a factor in terms of an Armenian or middle eastern fighter is held to greater scrutiny?

For example Paul got kicked out of the UFC post Josh fight but conor punching old Man and:

Dana: it's an Irish bar. People get punched. Get over it!
Pay very very close attention to how drastic the fan reaction was from when Masvidal sucker punched Leon compared to Colby....
Nuff said.
And yes all that comes into play especially in the MMA/UFC Space. go look at what bob arum said about the UFC
once you 2 and 2 together you learn to accept it for what it is.

i still cant get over the fans that Loved mocking leon for getting blindsided but when their precious Colby got the same treatment,
which he legit deserved, suddenly everyone started clutching their pearls & purses. suddenly the fans
dont understand the phrase
"talk sh1t get Hit"

They were squared up. What’s not to expect? They are professional fighters and given Mas’s background it’s on Leon to not anticipate a punch.
Then that's Leon's fault for lacking situational awareness and self-defense instincts.
and when you talk about banging peoples wives, disrespecting someones children, calling people bad names,
saying someones father is in he11 burning,
its on Colby to not anticipate getting ran up on, shot stabbed jumped or get a boomerang thrown at his head.
and the fans need to know how to stop crying when karma is being delivered.
Masvidals hands were not behind his back the entire time. Leon was talking shit to Mas during his interview. Mas got up said “Say that to my face” as he was walking towards him. If Leon wasn’t ready to fight, then that’s on him. He should’ve kept his mouth shut. Why is it the reporter’s knew what Mas was about to do but not Leon?

See, I think verbal altercations can start fights. Leon started the altercation and Mas obliged him.
and when Colby said its ON SIGHT and Keep that same energy, welp same logic.
It was on sight and masvidal did keep that energy EVEN AFTER THE FIGHT.
He sure was talking his shit to Mas. Let’s not act like Leon was being professional. He wanted build up and he got it.
Thats exactly how i feel about Colby

Last edited:
Pay very very close attention to how drastic the fan reaction was from when Masvidal sucker punched Leon compared to Colby....
Nuff said.
And yes all that comes into play especially in the MMA/UFC Space. go look at what bob arum said about the UFC
once you 2 and 2 together you learn to accept it for what it is.

i still cant get over the fans that Loved mocking leon for getting blindsided but when their precious Colby got the same treatment,
which he legit deserved, suddenly everyone started clutching their pearls & purses. suddenly the fans
dont understand the phrase
"talk sh1t get Hit"
What the fuck are you going on about?

Masvidal was popular before that. Mostly he become popular after KO'd Ben

I don't like Masvidal but kind of liked how he hit Leon tbh lol. Leon won a split Decision, Masvidal got a Knockout and Leon decided to come crash Masvidal's interview talking shit.. Yeah he shouldn't have hit him but idk what Leon was thinking by doing that.

james-franco-wait-what.gif

Oh it absolutely is.
Not it isn't if 1 guy is mouthing of at another and walks up on him with a group in a confrontational manner.

Exactly Leon picked a fight and got 1, just not the 1 he wanted

The thing I noticed was Jorge approaching him with hands behind his back to hide his intent.

I felt that the deception was considered a form of sucker punched. Also with colby he did ambush him.

The Colby thing is a sucker punch as I recall. No question in my mind on that one.

We gotta come together and define what a sucker punch is. What he did to Colby? Sure. What he did to Leon? Or what Schilling did to that guy at the bar? Nah.

Back