Can someone explain the hype around Michael Chandler?

OldFashion

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
We are talking about a 34 year old ex Bellator champion whose best win is a washed Benson Henderson and who has lost against mediocre competition. What about him makes you think that he can hang with the top lightweights in the UFC? It's ridiculous that he was the replacement for Gaethje. Dude is a future journeyman at max.

Its mostly from the same people who were hyping and dangling off Askrens curls when he came over to UFC. Chandler is going to be a big flop like Askren and these people will fade into obscurity once again until their next messiah comes along. Yawn.

He is proven, everyone knows what he can and can't do. The hype is him being champ of another org, like Alvarez, Pettis and Bendo were. He is on their level. He is also on the level of Will Brooks. Means he has to first perform in the UFC to see if he is a top contender. Not everyone can.

It’s sufficient enough that people on a karate forum are making threads about him, therefore you tell me, TS.

I wouldn't say his losses are too bad. Brooks seems to be his kryptonite, the Primus loss was weird and his other losses are against Alvarez and Patricio and there's no shame in losing to those guys.

Most of the excitement is because he has an exciting fight style, I would say.

Because he was considered one of the best LW's in the world 8 years ago and he got a crazy, questionable physique.

Because he is a really good solid fighter who people wonder how well he would do in the UFC.

Do many expect him to become champ? Probably not, but Eddie Alvarez managed to become champion so you never know.

I fully expect Chandler to be top 10 in the UFC. He will beat some, he will lose to some.

I haven't seen any 'hype' for him

Maybe from the Bellator fan boys who swear Rory, Bader, and Moose would have eventually been UFC champs had they stayed

<{MingNope}>

I still don't believe to this day that Lawler was clean vs Rory.

He's got enough hype, to make you make a thread about him. When do people get it? When you talk about him good or bad, you yourselves are giving the fucking hype.

He had wars with Eddie Alvarez who became lightweight champ and he hasn’t really regressed since then?

I dont think its "hype".

I think people have short term memory when it comes to these type of things. When the UFC absorbed WEC, everyone said WEC guys couldn't hang, and then Benson and Pettis came over and dominated.

When the UFC picked up Eddie, they said he was a flop after his fight with Cowboy and then ended up holding the belt which is more than ALOT of fighters can say(Cowboy included).

Now People are saying it is out of the realm of possibility that a heavy-handed, front foot counter punching D1 wrestler could possibly score some wins in the UFC? lol Idk man, he might not be champ but Chandler is deff going to pick up some wins IMO.

Back