Can someone explain the hype around Michael Chandler?

I wouldn't say his losses are too bad. Brooks seems to be his kryptonite, the Primus loss was weird and his other losses are against Alvarez and Patricio and there's no shame in losing to those guys.

Most of the excitement is because he has an exciting fight style, I would say.
I think it's the Will Brooks thing. Brooks had hype coming to the UFC and shit the bed in the worst way possible. Therefore UFC LWs > Chandler

I don't buy hype until they bang with a top 5 UFC fighter and see how they go.

1- I followed mma and a lot of people didn't believe in the hype behind Askren as he was coming into the UFC. He was hyped up from his Bellator and OneFC run but lots of fights he had a hard time getting his wrestling going and almost lost a lot of fights because he never had a set up for his grappling. It worked because he was fighting in places where the focus in training wasn't grappling or wrestling based. His wrestling credentials are legit, but you can't honestly think that being one dimensional will get you far in today's mma landscape. Every one has to adjust to all aspects of mma and be proficient enough in everything else. Even Khabib who's greatest strength is grappling worked on his stand up to the point he can stand and trade with elite strikers. Askren never worked on his striking and just wanted to rely on his wrestling. It's obvious in his fighting style and how he was training. Just look at the match ups he had in UFC, do those match ups favor Askren? He was brought in to lose to try and discredit OneFC.

2- OneFC at the time had a lot of fighters not really focused on the grappling aspect so it was a weakness early on for most of their fighters. It's different now but it's still lacking compared to areas that have western wrestling or dagastani wrestling etc, especially the ones that mix the wrestling with bjj.

3. If you follow peoples careers that come from other promotions that were popular or previous champions they are given hard fights to help prove the UFC brand is better. If they win their first fight they will lose their next and so on and then UFC will build them up. If they do happen to win their first fight usually it's very competitive and it could've gone either way. It's bad business to bring someone in from another promotion that's your competition and he just steam rolls through the UFC fighter. That's a bad look for the brand of UFC having the best fighters.
Spot on. Good analysis.

He will be around Paul Felder level in UFC. he is talented but he is too old now and he looked his best 5-7 years ago, and I've seen all his Bellator fights.

1- I followed mma and a lot of people didn't believe in the hype behind Askren as he was coming into the UFC. He was hyped up from his Bellator and OneFC run but lots of fights he had a hard time getting his wrestling going and almost lost a lot of fights because he never had a set up for his grappling. It worked because he was fighting in places where the focus in training wasn't grappling or wrestling based. His wrestling credentials are legit, but you can't honestly think that being one dimensional will get you far in today's mma landscape. Every one has to adjust to all aspects of mma and be proficient enough in everything else. Even Khabib who's greatest strength is grappling worked on his stand up to the point he can stand and trade with elite strikers. Askren never worked on his striking and just wanted to rely on his wrestling. It's obvious in his fighting style and how he was training. Just look at the match ups he had in UFC, do those match ups favor Askren? He was brought in to lose to try and discredit OneFC.

2- OneFC at the time had a lot of fighters not really focused on the grappling aspect so it was a weakness early on for most of their fighters. It's different now but it's still lacking compared to areas that have western wrestling or dagastani wrestling etc, especially the ones that mix the wrestling with bjj.

3. If you follow peoples careers that come from other promotions that were popular or previous champions they are given hard fights to help prove the UFC brand is better. If they win their first fight they will lose their next and so on and then UFC will build them up. If they do happen to win their first fight usually it's very competitive and it could've gone either way. It's bad business to bring someone in from another promotion that's your competition and he just steam rolls through the UFC fighter. That's a bad look for the brand of UFC having the best fighters.
I don't believe in this conspiracy they bring in guys to fail. I do think they throw them in the lions den to see if they can sink or swim. They don't want to waste time trying to build them. They like to know pretty quick with other world champions.

What disproves your theory is Eddie alvarez, gaethje. Both got thrown to the lions den rather quickly. Gaethje a former lw champion became a star for the ufc.

Eddie got to be a lw champion for the ufc and even fought mcgregor. They chose eddie over khabib for that fight. I guess they wanted to let khabib build a little more and wanted mcgregor to come in as champion. Nonetheless. Eddie was successful in UFC

He had wars with Eddie Alvarez who became lightweight champ and he hasn’t really regressed since then?
Had he really progressed? Seems like the same old Chandler

I dont like Chandlers chin. Hes already up there in fight mileage too. I think a couple unranked guys could even beat chandler. LW is the toughest division

Dude just rubs me the wrong way.

Talking about beating guys before he was even in the org and still talking about he can do it, sells himself as a dude that will take any fight buthides behind the "I wasn't offered that fight" when called out.

For example, saying to rda he wasn't offered to fight RDA but a day later volunteers his name for both Conor and Tony.

Just an annoying guy. I don't hate him. I find he has likeable qualities but he comes off so fake trying to sell the image of what Chandler ought to be instead of what Chandler is.

I'd like him more if he kept it simple and said I'm here to win a championship. End of.

Not all this fake intangible, spirit believe, achieve, bs , "bite down on my mouthpiece, never quit" cliche bullshit.

You cannot say you're literally the best lw in mma and a better wrestler than khabib when you got knocked two fight ago

Last edited:
I guess he’s been performing in Bellator on a positive note for a while, but he hasn’t done it in the UFC against these contenders;so I’m waiting to see if he’s really that great. The UFC needs to book him a fight already.

He's an excellent athlete, very well rounded, gritty, who has been very consistent, former champion, fought and beat big names like Alvarez.

I think he is probably past his prime, but he is a really top notch fighter.

Best win is Bendo? Uh..... no. Hos best win is finishing Alvarez.

I’m sure he’s good but why anyone (including himself) thinks he’s at the top of the division in the the UFC without any fights blows my mind. Fight someone that’s ranked around #10 and see where you are at for fucks sake. Calling out Tony or expecting to fight top 3 guys right away is ridiculous.

Back