can i benchpress everyday?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by JaKob, Dec 1, 2005.

1. JaKob

JaKob Orange Belt

Hey im a pretty new weightlifter, you probably have established this. Im really keen on increasing my benchpress and refining my form. I go to the gym 3 days a week and only do 5 sets of 10 at 80 kilos (whatever that is i think its about 200 pounds). Is 5X10 3 times a week enough to make progress or would i be fine to bench everyday.... i do 3 full body workouts a week but have a bench at home, i was thinking about using my home bench on my off days.

2. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Every day is way too much.
    3x a week is actually quite heavy.

3. JaKob

JaKob Orange Belt

i was actually implying 5 days a week sorry, not every day... but if 3 days is quite heavy, 5 would be too much i assume.... thats cool, don't wanna burn out.

4. Sohei

Sohei A Smocking gun

Absolutley not. It varies between individals but the leats you should wait between benches is 1 day off, although 2-3 wold be more prudent and many lifters see quick gains by lifting only 1x a week.

5. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

You CAN bench press every day, but you would burn out in a month at most and would make sod all progress in the mean time. I'd say even three days a week is a lot, especially if you're doing other compound movements in the same workout and you'd be better off twice or once a week.

6. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

The most i would suggest is one heavy day and one rep or speed day for benching.

7. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah, give that a shot, Jakob. You're not ready for three heavy days, and varying intensities or periodising microcycles doesn't appear to be an option, here.

8. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

I bench 3 times a week because I do everything 3 times a week. Full body routine. Nothing has benefitted my bench more that benching often. But I never bench under 5 reps, with most of the volume done @8-12.

I still think that 5 times a week is a lot though. If I was to do this, I would make sure not to lift too heavy on too many sets. In fact, I'd probably do only push-ups on the 2 days on which I don't train full body.

But I don't see any reason to do this. And it would wear out my elbows very quickly.
    Be patient and stick to 3 times a week, that would be my answer.

9. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

How intense are you going on the bench?

10. paulchu

paulchu Guest

I dunno, I'm only benching once a week, real heavy sets of 6 (if i can do more than 6, I'm not lifting enough weight), about 5 sets.... been seeing real good results.

11. paulchu

paulchu Guest

i heard a rumor (could be an urban legend) that a guy actually tore his pectoral muscle so bad from overtraining that it looks like he has 3 pecs now...

12. KOU In3

KOU In3 Orange Belt

I think this is a bad answer. Once a week is plenty. Although the poster who mentioned a possible heavy day and a speed day makes an interesting point.

Lifting is not like grappling where you are working on technique and practicing to get better. Your time benching is only a part of the equation. More important than your time in the gym is recovering from those workouts.

Sure you'll get stronger benching 3 times a week. But you'll get stronger faster if you bench less frequently. Why do more lifting to make less progress?

13. JaKob

JaKob Orange Belt

This is really interesting, thanks alot guys... I always thought i should do more because i see pretty big guys benching EVERY SINGLE DAY (i go in every day for cardio) so naturally i think i should do the same.

So essentially.... Benching 80 KILOS, (200 poundish) 5 sets of 10.... once or twice a week will give me better results then 3 times a week?

14. prometheus

prometheus Brown Belt

Hi.
    I'm no expert on this but I do recall once reading that when muscle tissue is broken down, depending on a number of things, it can take as much as 96 hours to fully rebuild.

So by doing anywhere near five times a week, going heavy, you'd almost certainly be breaking down tissue before it had actually fully recovered from it's previous breakdown.

15. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

I tried once a week. I tried once every 5 days. I tried twice a week ME and DE. I tried 3 times a week. 3 times a week worked best for me. How can that be a bad answer?

16. Barut

Barut Banned Banned

Jakob, 80kilos is about 180lbs.

If you can lift it for 5 sets of 10 you'd be better off increasing the weight. Try 5 sets of 5-6 reps or 8 sets of 2-3 reps if you're wanting to add strength.

17. sleeper7777777

sleeper7777777 Orange Belt

carnal where art thou?

18. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

Carnal has left sherdog some time ago.

19. USA Fighter

USA Fighter Brown Belt

In my opinion. every day is too much. I alternate days and also vary intensity/weight depending on what I am attempting to enhance and improve.

20. KOU In3

KOU In3 Orange Belt

Suit yourself. If it works best for you... great. Science and kinesiological studies normally say it's not optimal is all.