Can Haney develop power?

nobody gets KOs in amateur fights and 18 is alot even if it was 200
it's certainly less in the ammies but that is still a pretty low ratio for a guy who turned into a killer. Part of it was just his change in approach and of course maturity. They say he was a stick and move fighter, as were most of the young fighters in the Ali era. He was also just so young to be fighting at that level, he was fighting Aaron Pryor who had to be at least five years older than him, if not more. As I mentioned, Intent has a lot to do with kayos, Mike Tyson used to call it punching with "bad intentions".

bad hands have limited a lot of fighters. I remember Greg Haugen being pretty impressive and then he just stopped knocking out guys, Ali was said to have serious hand problems from 71-74 when he came back. He actually had his hands shot up with Novocain. They say Jake Lamotta had hand problems and that contributed to his piddly kayo record but he was also known to have tiny hands, (yes, i know, some people think that has nothing to do with power). The hand are a complex part of the body and not meant to be banged on any hard object, just feeling how small the bones are makes you realize why fighters have issues.

At 147 both Floyd's hands and his opponents's build limited his stopping power. Fragile hands are indeed Floyd's most notable flaw.

At 147 both Floyd's hands and his opponents's build limited his stopping power. Fragile hands are indeed Floyd's most notable flaw.
yup, moving up in weight always impacts a fighters power. I suppose age is another factor for some reason, Sugar Ray Robinson wasn't knocking out a lot of people towards the end, Ali once said he noticed his hand eye coordination as the most noticeable change with age, this was around 76-77. Of course reflexes would have to be a reason too, speed as well.

No, I only watch a couple new fights a year, what passes for talent bores me. I'll watch mayweather -paul though, just to see that clown made a fool of.

Oscar knows his sport, don't watch Canelo but he's proabably right.

I don't watch much of today's boxing, I'd say I've seen a few rounds of Canelo vs. who was that guy who gave him a good fight and rematched him? From what I saw, he's another guy without a lot of things. Only fighters I'll watch today are Pac and Fury, far from perfect but they are exciting. Seems like todays guys just don't throw many punches or exchange much. It's a turn off for a long time fan.

Lol....Sherdog boxing forum regulars.

<{hughesimpress}>

Last edited:
the answer is NO
punching power is something that you either have or dont

the same with quickness, chin, sense, guts, etc..

imo HANEY is a prime example of the difference of skills needed to be a great amateur vs a PRO

You can learn to sit down on your shots more and plant your feet but that isn't Haneys style. He would have to make big changes to his game and his suspect chin doesn't help (because he'd be more of static target). Here's a fighter who has natural power and sits down on his punches. He could do that because he knows he has a great chin if he gets countered.
NeedyChillyKudu-max-1mb.gif

1kQ9gC.gif

Last edited:
He looked great until he tried to turn it up, he bases most of his stuff on Floyd, so play smart like Floyd, outboxing someone is enough.

Back