Can Haney develop power?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
As he gets older? He’s still really young so he’s only going to get stronger. Can he get power to that of like a lomachenko when he’s his age? (Or younger)

Or will he have paulie malignaggi fists for his entire career?

As he gets older? He’s still really young so he’s only going to get stronger. Can he get power to that of like a lomachenko when he’s his age? (Or younger)

Or will he have paulie malignaggi fists for his entire career?
never heard of this haney and I assume you're not talking lee haney. But, I do know that a boxers power is generally fixed. Everyone has an aptitude and once that aptitude is maximized with maturity, weight, body mechanics, there isn't much one can do to improve it. I don't even think roids helps with power, look at Evander Holyfield, he was a good puncher at cruiser and not much of one at hw. Intent can make a real difference between the results though, Hector Camacho was said to be a light puncher but when he was at his best, he was kayoing just about all of his opponents because he was on top of his game and full of intent. Muhammad Ali was never known to be a great puncher but in his first incarnation (60-67) he was 23 kayoes of 29 fights, not bad for a pillow fist and in his second run, his percentage dropped considerably because he was more slovenly and less passionate, especially after the Thrilla in Manila, whereafter, he was really on the decline and only kayoed one more opponent. He was said to be a better puncher early on in his comeback because he kayoed Oscar Bonavena and he was still able to kayo some good fighters and able to turn fights around if he had to (Lyle, Foster) but he was just as happy to slap a guy around for 10-15 rounds if it meant he had his audience.

Also, anyone can land a punch just right so that it kayoes or hurts a guy. Howard Davis, about the most pillowfisted elite fighter of his time, almost dropped the iron jawed, never dropped Edwin Rosario in their fight, a feat even men who knocked him out couldn't accomplish. Ali dropped Liston and hurt him a few times and he was considered such a light puncher, no one believed it then and many don't today. Timing, how a punch lands, the state of the one getting hit all have something to do with it as well as punching power. Even the lightest punchers have a fight or two where they look like Tommy Hearns.

Last edited:
@mozfonky thanks for the detailed answer about power being generally fixed.

but you seriously never heard of Devin Haney? Do you not watch boxing anymore

Last edited:
No, I only watch a couple new fights a year, what passes for talent bores me. I'll watch mayweather -paul though, just to see that clown made a fool of.

At 22 yes, however, he doesn’t necessarily need to have more power to win.

He can literally play it safe and outbox the elite IMO.

Depends on what you mean by power. He’s got the frame to become a big puncher but I don’t think that he’ll ever have the style or chin to implement sustained power. But who knows.

He’s gotten comps to Floyd by some but I don’t see it. Floyd was stopping elite guys by his age. I see Haney as an Austin Trout level fighter. A very good outfighter who’ll always fall short against the higher echelon guys. He simply doesn’t have enough god given talent. Both his power and chin will let him down going forward

He'll never be a puncher. Whether or not he can still be an elite fighter without that power is yet to be seen, but his performance on Saturday wasn't terribly encouraging. His jab and speed will give most guys plenty of issues, but he was vulnerable throughout the night in the pocket and might lack the power to get sufficient respect at the elite level. Add in potentially poor durability, and he has a ton of question marks going forward.

Last edited:
His style of boxing does not really demand punching power, as he develops and becomes more comfortable (hes only 22) he can then work on punching power

As judo jab said, if he’s successful outboxing his opponents he probably doesnt see the need to work on power, instaed he’s most likely tunning the style he currently has as we speak.

Tommy Hearns was one of the biggest punchers ever and he had something like 18 KO’s in 200 amateur fights, not sure what the exact figure was but yes it can be done.

why is everyone saying no?

of course he can. it isn't very likely, but it could happen.

He can sit on his punches better but he won’t become young Floyd.

Depends on what you mean by power. He’s got the frame to become a big puncher but I don’t think that he’ll ever have the style or chin to implement sustained power. But who knows.

He’s gotten comps to Floyd by some but I don’t see it. Floyd was stopping elite guys by his age. I see Haney as an Austin Trout level fighter. A very good outfighter who’ll always fall short against the higher echelon guys. He simply doesn’t have enough god given talent. Both his power and chin will let him down going forward
He'll never be a puncher. Whether or not he can still be an elite fighter without that power is yet to be seen, but his performance on Saturday wasn't terribly encouraging. His jab and speed will give most guys plenty of issues, but he was vulnerable throughout the night in the pocket and might lack the power to get sufficient respect at the elite level. Add in potentially poor durability, and he has a ton of question marks going forward.
Is it how long it took Haney to recover from when he was hurt that puts a big question mark on his chin?
Seems like he needed the whole 11th and was stalling in the 12th too for some reason

Last edited:
He can sit on his punches better but he won’t become young Floyd.

It's amazing how many people think Floyd didn't have power, especially considering most of his opponents said he did and he actually had to hold back on a lot of punches because his hands were so brittle.

It's amazing how many people think Floyd didn't have power, especially considering most of his opponents said he did and he actually had to hold back on a lot of punches because his hands were so brittle.

Yeah, that's actually embarrassing. He could hit pretty hard up to 140. His timing played a huge part in the damage done but there was some genuine pop in what he threw.

Tommy Hearns was one of the biggest punchers ever and he had something like 18 KO’s in 200 amateur fights, not sure what the exact figure was but yes it can be done.
nobody gets KOs in amateur fights and 18 is alot even if it was 200

Maybe when he moves up it'll add more sting to his punches, but he looked crazy pillow fisted on saturday cant remember linares getting staggered from any headshots

Yeah, that's actually embarrassing. He could hit pretty hard up to 140. His timing played a huge part in the damage done but there was some genuine pop in what he threw.
bad hands have limited a lot of fighters. I remember Greg Haugen being pretty impressive and then he just stopped knocking out guys, Ali was said to have serious hand problems from 71-74 when he came back. He actually had his hands shot up with Novocain. They say Jake Lamotta had hand problems and that contributed to his piddly kayo record but he was also known to have tiny hands, (yes, i know, some people think that has nothing to do with power). The hand are a complex part of the body and not meant to be banged on any hard object, just feeling how small the bones are makes you realize why fighters have issues.

Back