Can chins be trained, made stronger?

Some of it seems to be mostly genetic. I've seen some guys with iron chins(fujita) get rocked with serious bombs and shake it off. For those not born with "it", they typically do neck exercises/training to help strengthen the neck for better absorption from the blows

I know one thing for sure. Once that chin is gone, it typically stays gone and there's very little chance that it will come back5abe4be94e9f5edea537d1b12032cc54.jpg

only with roids it seems.

KO's have more to do than just how strong your jaw is though. It's more complex than that because if you look at Chuck Liddell for example he had a big head. And he used to be able to take big shots. But then as he got older he could no longer take them. Now what happened? His chin or neck muscles didn't get significantly weaker. So obviously something else internally has changed within him. Knockout's and the ability to take a punch in very misunderstood. I'm sure having a strong head/neck muscles can help lessen the impact, but by how much? Does it really make a difference? There are other more important factors involved.

Yes... with roids. No joke. They tend to improve neck strength a lot.

diego_sanchez.jpg

What exactly makes someone like Overeem get KO'd cold by someone that Dan Henderson took a gazillion punches from?

Its very interesting to see that in action, we know guys like Frankie Edgar have fantastic recovery and heart which sort of plays into it but that does not really have to do with the actual punch on the chin (or side of head since chin doesnt literally mean the chin).

Is there a science behind this?
My old BJ J coach said he saw a documentary on a women's thai fighting team. They would put a rope around a weight and bite the rope then do neck curls with it.

What exactly makes someone like Overeem get KO'd cold by someone that Dan Henderson took a gazillion punches from?

Its very interesting to see that in action, we know guys like Frankie Edgar have fantastic recovery and heart which sort of plays into it but that does not really have to do with the actual punch on the chin (or side of head since chin doesnt literally mean the chin).

Is there a science behind this?
In my experience a huge factor is your awareness. If you can see a punch / strike coming you've a much better chance of weathering it wether you have time to avoid or not.

The surprise of not seeing it and not preemptively bracing can be a big factor

IMO your best bet is to not spar 110% while training because that chin deteriorates. I've had had training partners go really hard in camps, only to get dropped by grazing punches during their fight.

Disclaimer: I am no expert, this is all bro science and stuff I have seen in person.

they went through all that just to punish one peros
This doesn't seem to describe Diego Sanchez
0f9a4cdef95f5c3ea427ac2648d8c59364001869c96ef0dc2c1c59cf6706189d.jpg

Mexicans just have crazy ass chins. he took Koschecks wound up haymaker flush on the chin and did not even flinch. I know the Koz isn't a knock out king but i still remember everyone in the room react to the sound and impact on his chin. fuckin crazy.

Have a broad chin.

That's true for Mariusz Wach, the best chin in combat sports right now.

mariusz-wach-polska-duze-001_original_crop_north.jpg

Mariusz-Wach-Kevin-McBride6.jpg

mariusz_wach__1__post.jpg

180px-Mariusz_Wach.JPG

Wladimir Klitschko who could knock the wall down hit him with BOMBS for 12 rounds and he wasn't even wobbled. He has really mediocre boxing and survives only because of his chin and because he's 6 foot 8 250+ pounds and could finish anyone with a lucky punch.

Its about physics. I dont know how to translate it and neither am im certain about this but the longer the contact, less force is used so the damage is lower. If someone punches you in the face while you lean back or move your face in the oposite direction, then the damage will be lower. But if someone punches you and you move directly to the punch, you will take more damage. Theres a book called Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt that covers this topic.

no

but if you fight at your actual weight and don't drain yourself, you wont be weak and drained

That's true for Mariusz Wach, the best chin in combat sports right now.

mariusz-wach-polska-duze-001_original_crop_north.jpg

Mariusz-Wach-Kevin-McBride6.jpg

mariusz_wach__1__post.jpg

180px-Mariusz_Wach.JPG

Wladimir Klitschko who could knock the wall down hit him with BOMBS for 12 rounds and he wasn't even wobbled. He has really mediocre boxing and survives only because of his chin and because he's 6 foot 8 250+ pounds and could finish anyone with a lucky punch.

But not true for Antonio Pezao Silva.

Got KO'd a lot recently.

Back