Can chins be trained, made stronger?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What exactly makes someone like Overeem get KO'd cold by someone that Dan Henderson took a gazillion punches from?

Its very interesting to see that in action, we know guys like Frankie Edgar have fantastic recovery and heart which sort of plays into it but that does not really have to do with the actual punch on the chin (or side of head since chin doesnt literally mean the chin).

Is there a science behind this?

Buy the new revolutionary reebok chin-training gear and fight with no fear of KOs!

CP3Rje0UEAEn94j.jpg

Heavy neck exercises can prevent the head from snapping back in response to a punch. Mayweather and Gennady Golovkin, two boxers, do this.

It's mainly something you are born with. Some things that may improve your chin.

Big skull
Short neck
Strong neck muscles
Chewing gum (some boxers actually chew a lot of gum to strengthen muscles in their jaw).
Have a large and low centre of gravity like Hunt and Nelson. Be fat in other words
Roll with punches
Have a broad chin

Now all of this is up for debate. But it can certainly help.

Yes, I smash rocks into my chin all day.

At least I think I do it all day - never remember too much after the first couple - obviously because the training is so intense.

TS, try running chin first into a brick wall every morning

Let me know the results

Mostly genetic but
could be the fluids in your body or lack there of (due to weight cuts)
or the size of your skull (That's why DC took that bomb from Rumble and recovered so well)

neck muscle. shape of your head, it can't be too angular because there's more leverage behind it, something like that. since you're KO'ed when youur brain hits your skull hard enough, or something like that. since I'm too lazy to explain correctly, I'm calling someone who knows way better than me

I remember @NoBiasJustMMA talking about it in some other thread some time ago

It's mainly something you are born with. Some things that may improve your chin.

Big skull
Short neck
Strong neck muscles
Chewing gum (some boxers actually chew a lot of gum to strengthen muscles in their jaw).
Have a large and low centre of gravity like Hunt and Nelson. Be fat in other words
Roll with punches
Have a broad chin

This doesn't seem to describe Diego Sanchez

Big skull
Short neck
Strong neck muscles
Roll with punches
Have a broad chin

Good list, amazing cardio and not cutting much weight definitely help as well

Back