Can books be scary?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't read a book since high school. I'd like to read something, see if I can get into it. Recommend me something scary as hell but not too weird (like Stephen King gets a little too weird for me).

beware the Jesus Juice
tenor.gif

What about H.S./College Physics Chemistry books? Those give me nightmares.

These books gave me the heebee jeebees as a kid:

scarystoriescovers.jpg

Stopped reading at haven’t read a book since high school.
Moniker checks out.

Maybe not scary exactly, but the short story Guts by Chuck Palahniuk gave me the dread and shit

My mom said she had nightmares from reading Flowers in the Attic. That book made her stop reading books altogether.

Is that you kanye?

These books gave me the heebee jeebees as a kid:

scarystoriescovers.jpg

my third grade teacher would just read them to us during class. And we all loved them. Creepy stuff. I don’t think you’d be able to get away with that now. Too much worry about unsettling someone.

Calculus was always a scary read.

Also those choose your own adventure Goosebumps were not made for the faint of heart.

My mom said she had nightmares from reading Flowers in the Attic. That book made her stop reading books altogether.
Seeing how deceptive women can be as I got older, and how the one I just had a kid with is willing to lie like an insane sociopath no matter how kind you are to her, the story doesn't seem that far fetched to me anymore. Maybe I'll read it.

05dracus.jpg

Over 100 years old and will absolutely send chills down your spine. The Captain’s Log chapter and Jonathan’s time at the castle are particularly harrowing.

They cant be scary imo, that implies adrenaline. Like Mr. Zer said though, they can inspire dread and disturbance. I didnt find Geralds Game by King very weird but it creeped me out. There was one called The M.D. by an authour I cant remember that probably inspired that Inheritance movie, the one with Piemon.

If you want some cheap thrills go walk through the hood or a forest at night. Bring a flashlight and importantly no weapons for the forest run, Ive done it a few times with one friend in tow, the slightest rustling in the bushes sounds like the reaper coming to collect.

Penpal by dathan Auerbach

Started as a serial creepypasta on reddit /nosleep, later became full length novel. Creepy ass story

Several books by Robert R. McCammon I remember were really good. Swan Song is much like The Stand. I enjoyed them both. Stinger, Blue World, Baal to name a few.

The most tense, without a doubt, I've ever felt reading a book is Simon Kernick's Deadline.

It's about a woman whose daughter gets kidnapped. She gets the help of an ex-gangster and a police detective. Early on in the book, without spoiling anything, there's an operation by the gangster to find the people who did it, and it's the most gripping thing I've ever read.

57483263166f8600238496b9.jpg

Back