Can anyone recommend a program to me?

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
So currently I lift the beyond 5/3/1 and it's cool. Works for me.

But I want to do more. I feel like I can do more.

I have 2hrs every evening free and if I'm not lifting or kickboxing I'm sitting on my arse playing rocket League.

I could lift 6 nights a week. Anyone got any experience and wants to weigh in on this? What kinda program would fit? Would there be a benefit to training heavy more often than 3 days?

I'm lifting primarily for football, playing as a receiving TE but I need to be ready to sub as a blocker anywhere on the line. As I get bigger I'll move to more blocking duties so I have no issue having to remain as fast. I do sprinting and cone work anyway and that should maintain enough speed for long enough. I just want to be the biggest. Strongest motherfucker I can be.

I have a training log: crossing the Rubicon

I'm curious why you don't just find another 531 template. The beauty of that programming is the versatility.

You could do something like Cube or Cube Predator (Brandon Lilly). Its a four day program. I've also always though the Juggernaut training system (Chad Westley Smith)was a great way to train.

Otherwise, if I was making my own kind of programming, I'd probably dedicate a day to each main lift

Good idea, thanks. I'm new to this so I don't really trust myself to make my own program, I like to know a lot about something before using my own initiative. The dedicating a lift to each day sounds like a decent in.

Will look at those programs later thanks.

I'm curious why you don't just find another 531 template. The beauty of that programming is the versatility.

You could do something like Cube or Cube Predator (Brandon Lilly). Its a four day program. I've also always though the Juggernaut training system (Chad Westley Smith)was a great way to train.

Otherwise, if I was making my own kind of programming, I'd probably dedicate a day to each main lift

This. Juggernaut and Cube are both higher volume than 5/3/1, although you can add volume to 5/3/1 with Boring But Big, FSL, Joker Sets etc.

You're doing a great program and more days per week lifting isn't going to help your strength increase any faster.

Keep the program as is and use your spare time to do yoga or a really intense flexibility program. Never realized how vital mobility was to athleticism until I started working my mobility and flexibility seriously and saw myself transform on the mats. I'm now convinced it's just as important as strength training for people who are not naturally flexible.

If 5/3/1 is working, the best thing would be to continue with it. And as was mentioned, there's lots of variations and different ways to set it up. That said, at some point you'll probably be looking for something different, and at the point, I'd suggested looking up RTS.

I understand wanting to do something physical, instead of sitting around. You can do some flexibility work, as was mentioned. Plus some conditioning, and maybe some light work for neglected muscle groups. For example, something like: A few sets of YWTLs and TKEs, then 20-30 minutes of conditioning, then stretching and other mobility work.

Juggernaut has both 6 day a week templates and general athletic assistance work for programming sprints jumps and throws. I consider it to be a better base program than 5/3/1, and generally speaking more volume=more adaptation

That said!..you're making progress on the volume you're using right now, so some other options you might want to consider, so that you can retain the option of increasing volume once your gains stall

Spread the exact same amount of work across more days. This has worked pretty well for the norweigan powerlifting team, and seems to be flatly more effective than doing the same volume on a 3 day split.

Add a second focus from a competing adaptation. Pick up a copy of the Hybrid Athlete, and you could probably get similar gains in your powerlifting numbers while also increasing 5k time, general endurance, or strongman events.

I would recommend staying with 5.3.1 and just tweaking the program to fit in more volume. The juggernaut is pretty good as well. Both of these programs are simple and will give you some autoregulation which you will need dong other sports.

Juggernaut has both 6 day a week templates and general athletic assistance work for programming sprints jumps and throws. I consider it to be a better base program than 5/3/1, and generally speaking more volume=more adaptation

That said!..you're making progress on the volume you're using right now, so some other options you might want to consider, so that you can retain the option of increasing volume once your gains stall

Spread the exact same amount of work across more days. This has worked pretty well for the norweigan powerlifting team, and seems to be flatly more effective than doing the same volume on a 3 day split.

Add a second focus from a competing adaptation. Pick up a copy of the Hybrid Athlete, and you could probably get similar gains in your powerlifting numbers while also increasing 5k time, general endurance, or strongman events.

I enjoyed my time on Juggernaut. But I eventually had to switch back to 5/3/1 as I found the high volume, especially on 10's and 8's, too much for my joints. I ended up with a nasty case of tendinitis in both elbows.

Yeah, I need to preface my endorsement of the Juggs.

I'm a KB sport guy first and foremost, so I have pretty decent aerobic base, and I'm very well adapted to doing stupid volume of submaximal weights. I tend to have good tolerance to very high volume programs like TJM. If i ever do a sheiko variant, I expect that will also cause stupid good results. Texas Method kills me though, as did my one attempt to Westside.

Another great thread, right from the first post. In a thousand other places on the net and IRL this could have just gone for shit right away but everything here was bang on and maturely tempered.

Back