1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

can a variation of the HST be used for strenght training?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by toufeksian, Nov 28, 2005.

1. toufeksian

toufeksian Orange Belt

i was re reading the HST stuff and i was thinking if there was a chance that splitting the sets over a week , training not to failure , and increasing the weight in every workout, working in lower reps, if this will help in the developing of strenght.

opinions?

2. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

there was a variant called dual factor hypertrophy training try doing a search for it

3. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

Lifting heavy weigths often for lots of sets will lead to increase in strength. Isn't that shocking?

HST stands for HYPERTROPHY SPECIFIC TRAINING. As in training specifically for hypertrophy. The name says it all. Will it give you some strength? Yup. Is it geared towards improving strength? Nope.

4. MadDildo

MadDildo Shame Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yes. You'd have to adjust your set number higher to maintain the proper volume (although recommended volume varies depending on load intensity, but HST is designed around a periodized schedule). So the principles still apply, yes, but why do that? Why not go straight to a program (like Westside Barbell) that is designed specifically for strength?

5. toufeksian

toufeksian Orange Belt

yes i know , but maybe someone has tried it

6. MadDildo

MadDildo Shame Staff Member Senior Moderator

Toufe, sometimes I wonder if you're a bodybuilder in the closet on here.