• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can a ref stop a fight 5 seconds after the final bell?

TITS

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I time stamped this right before the ending sequence, I remember this being a weird stoppage, first time rewatching it. It looks like Polizzi survived the distance. Romero lands one last punch as the final bell is ringing, Polizzi stumbles but is still standing, ref walks over th check on him then waves it off even though the final rang a few seconds earlier.

Official record says 4:59 of round 3, but there was at least 4 seconds after the bell before the ref "stopped" it. Is this not unusual?

Da Un Jung vs Carlos Ulberg went to the final bell, yet they ruled it a submission win at 4:49 of Round 3.

If the fight had another few seconds, he would have been shadow realm'd. It's like if someone quits on the stool, the TKO is ruled at 5:00 of the previous round, not 0:01 of the next, so yes, referees can technically retroactively TKO someone.
The line about Yoel really sums up his whole career though. At any point this guy can explode and hurt anyone, one of the physically most impressive specimens to have ever entered MMA, but he just was always too...not gunshy as he was fine letting bombs loose and hurting people but complacent I guess?

Da Un Jung vs Carlos Ulberg went to the final bell, yet they ruled it a submission win at 4:49 of Round 3.

What happened during the last 11 seconds, and did the officials have to review it before the announcement was read?

I assume there’s a sort of “intent to stop” rule. A referee can rule they intended to stop the fight before the bell, even if they didn’t do so.

Wild sequence, looks like ref was stepping in to stop it right as the bell started ringing, when Yoel unleashed that last bomb. I guess that's the moment that counts?

What a dumb noob question. The ref can stop a fight whenever he wants, he's the ref lmfao. Moron

If the fight had another few seconds, he would have been shadow realm'd. It's like if someone quits on the stool, the TKO is ruled at 5:00 of the previous round, not 0:01 of the next, so yes, referees can technically retroactively TKO someone.
The line about Yoel really sums up his whole career though. At any point this guy can explode and hurt anyone, one of the physically most impressive specimens to have ever entered MMA, but he just was always too...not gunshy as he was fine letting bombs loose and hurting people but complacent I guess?

This was a 3-rounder though, there was no in betweens left, it was already over.

What a dumb noob question. The ref can stop a fight whenever he wants, he's the ref lmfao. Moron
In only 6 months you've already grown into one of the more detestable posters on the site. You are confirmed 5'6".
This was a 3-rounder though, there was no in betweens left, it was already over.
I understand, just saying that it would fall under the same category when it comes to referee powers, being able to say "Actually, the fight was over 10-15 seconds ago, just didn't notice till now". There was a fight not too long ago where the ref stopped a round and separated the fighters during a choke sequence, the attacking fighter got up and went to his corner, the other fighter was stumbling to get up and the ref deemed he had gone out even though he hadn't seen it at the time and stopped it before it went to the next round even though the bell rang.

I assume there’s a sort of “intent to stop” rule. A referee can rule they intended to stop the fight before the bell, even if they didn’t do so.

Did it really look that way though? Quite a delayed reaction from the ref.

Did it really look that way though? Quite a delayed reaction from the ref.
It didn’t really, but the referee is in charge of the bout and can amend their ruling retroactively if they so choose. It’s akin to a rule in the NHL that affords the referees the ability to retroactively claim they intended to blow the whistle or stop play even though they made no attempt to do so, even overturning goal scoring sequences.

I understand, just saying that it would fall under the same category when it comes to referee powers, being able to say "Actually, the fight was over 10-15 seconds ago, just didn't notice till now". There was a fight not too long ago where the ref stopped a round and separated the fighters during a choke sequence, the attacking fighter got up and went to his corner, the other fighter was stumbling to get up and the ref deemed he had gone out even though he hadn't seen it at the time and stopped it before it went to the next round even though the bell rang.

I'm trying to figure if anything like this has happened after the end of the final round. It's hard to say with this ref. Mike Beltran may have felt that he should have waved it off before Yoel hit Polizzi with that last punch at the bell, and maybe this was some kind of damage control.

It didn’t really, but the referee is in charge of the bout and can amend their ruling retroactively if they so choose. It’s akin to a rule in the NHL that affords the referees the ability to retroactively claim they intended to blow the whistle or stop play even though they made no attempt to do so, even overturning goal scoring sequences.

That's pretty shady.

That's pretty shady.
I’d assume the intent of it is to allow officials to get it right when they may have missed something in real time or not acted quickly enough. But it certainly could open the door to nefarious rulings.

I’d assume the intent of it is to allow officials to get it right when they may have missed something in real time or not acted quickly enough. But it certainly could open the door to nefarious rulings.

I often think from a gambling perspective, like I sometimes imagine refs doing things like this for bookies, or they have wagers themselves even though it's illegal.

If the fighter is knocked out due to a strike that happened at 4:59 let's say, and the ref decides after the final bell that the strike did indeed KO the fighter, then yes, of course they can stop it.

Back