Can a fighters skill diminish that much from one fight to the next? OSP

It's already been said, but I'll second the two major factors.

Threat of the striking opened up takedowns for Glover.

OSP was not keyed on TD's like he was for Cummins.

If he'd fought Glover like he fought Cummins he probably would have stuffed every TD until he got knocked out. MMA is a tricky business.

Two things. ...
1. Cummings has 1 weapon and it's nasty, his grappling. Glover is a multi-tooled vet and all are nasty. It's somewhat simple to game plan against a guy coming at you with 1 train of thought, it's another to deal with a guy that is probably more skilled than you in every facet.
2. OSP had some nice hype but in reality the guy is a fringe top 10 fighter. Same guy he was in strikeforce. Glover just reminded us.

When you're fighting a guy that's known to be a wrestler, you prepare for it, and you can anticipate the shot much better if you know it's coming.

When you are fighting a "striker" you anticipate strikes> takedowns. You emphasize striking in the fight camp and everything from your motion and distance in the cage to your attack changes.

I would guess that OSP's preperation was all wrong for Texiera since he was anticipating to stand and bang.

Against Cummins you are worried about takedowns and nothing else, your have 100% commitment on one task alone (stuff takedowns)

Glover has ko power, has boxing skills, has takedown, has submissions, that guy is extremely well rounded to be an old LHW.

If OSP were 100% committed on stuff takedowns that fight, he would have KTFO for sure on the first exchange

lol at Pat Cummins being the "best wrestler in the division". How the FUCK did you come to that conclusion, when this is a division that has Cormier and Jones in it?

That's exactly what I was thinking haha

Uh, OSP has always been spotty as shit. Highlight KO followed by snooze-fest decision.

Glover actually set up his TD's against OSP because he could. Cummins didn't have the striking to set his TD's up, really, and OSP would just explode back to his feet when he was taken down by Cummins. He did the same against Glover, but eventually it didn't work as well because that takes a lot of energy.

Having the striking to set up your TD's is a huge factor in a fight. Cummins is a better wrestler than Glover, but he didn't have the striking to do what Glover did. Glover can set his TD's up better because of that, he can make his opponents respect his hands and get TD's on them.

Also, the fact Cummins only has wrestling makes OSP more effective because it's the only thing he had to worry about. OSP had to worry about literally everything against Glover because Glover can do it all.

I wouldn't say OSP wasn't as good a fighter in the Glover fight, it's just that Glover is a far more difficult match-up than Cummins. OSP had more to worry about with Glover than he did with Cummins. Glover is on a whole different level than Cummins is. Cummins may be a great wrestler, but IMO, Glover is the more dangerous grappler because of his GnP and his submissions. He's far more dangerous on top than Cummins is, in my opinion.

It seemed completely obvious to me that OSP didn't deteriorate at all skill-wise. He is so powerful that he was able to utilize subpar technique to get back to his feet multiple times, and it cost him a lot of energy.

He needs a sports psychologist.

A lot of guys could have used that, whether in the form of a pro psych or just a good friend that knows them well....

G-Sots was definitely one of those who turned into a head-case. He started 7-0 in the UFC, capped by strong wins over Joe Daddy and Joe Lauzon. Then after the Siver loss, he just looked hopeless in his 4 UFC losses. I've never seen an athlete's career just crumble like that. G-Sots was very good and very talented.
(and Joe Daddy may have needed some therapy himself, having gone from a contender, a TUF winner, and a guy that beat Nate Diaz at one time, to a guy who looked like he was throwing each fight; or maybe he had nagging injuries. Joe Daddy has now lost his last 6 fights, including a couple in smaller shows)

I think G-Sots and Joe Daddy are the worst cases of guys totally falling apart that I've seen.
OSP has a long ways to go and he probably wasn't even ready for an angry Glover.

Glover got beat by Jones and grapple fucked by David and everyone wrote him off. Big mistake as he is a very well rounded LHW with power, good striking, and great grappling/bjj.

Back